435 Discussion

Sensuki

c,mon guys... W T F have this to do about beta 435 !!!

exactly.  unfortunately, the mod disagrees with you, so what can you do?  am guessing he can throw a widdle hizzie fit like this every time Gromnir responds to him or points out problems with current xp models. 

*shrug*

it appears that exploration exp is the developers having a little fun with the advocates o' exploration xp. walk through a door and get 50 xp.

*chuckle*

is funny.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

exactly.  unfortunately, the mod disagrees with you, so what can you do? 

Stop posting **** that have nothing to do with Beta 435...

and  that goes for both of you !!

Edited by lordkim
  • Like 1

exactly.  unfortunately, the mod disagrees with you, so what can you do? 

Stop posting **** that have nothing to do with Beta 435...

and  that goes for both of you !!

Gromnir is happy to continue to discuss xp awards for exploration, as we did in the post you selective quoted.  

the developers is having a little fun with the people who were against quest/objective xp.  they is clear attempting to give a token just large enough to such folks w/o actual altering the quest/objective mechanic.

aside, and we hesitate to mention this, but your post has 0 relevance to the 435 build.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Talking about xp just brings out the worst in me so I'll keep it brief.

It's a bit silly to get xp from entering houses since as far as I know there is no danger/challenge to exploring the town. I feel that xp should be awarded for achieving something. I feel that uncovering a hidden temple or reaching a cave guarded by giant man-killing spiders is an accomplishment that warrants xp. Not just entering a house. Oh well, even not-so-well implemented exploration xp is better than no exploration xp.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

It's a bit silly to get xp from entering houses since as far as I know there is no danger/challenge to exploring the town. I feel that xp should be awarded for achieving something. I feel that uncovering a hidden temple or reaching a cave guarded by giant man-killing spiders is an accomplishment that warrants xp. Not just entering a house. Oh well, even not-so-well implemented exploration xp is better than no exploration xp.

we had made a suggestion for an exploration quest and other persons made even better suggestions 'bout how to improve such a quest.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68164-a-different-view-on-the-whole-xp-controversy/?p=1502749

am not seeing any way in which exploration could be handled with a kinda reflexive mechanic pay-off of experience that would be more satisfying than a game-spanning exploration quest that would have milestone rewards o' xp and... whatever.  we use "milestone" language for those peculiar semantics challenged people who can't seem to wrap their brain 'round the notion o' quest/objective. 

50 xp for walking through a door makes woody happy, but it shouldn't make anybody else pleased.

HA! Good Fun!

Depends on why he walked through the door and what he had to do to get to that point and while on the subject it might be noted (again) that there are likely many things about the BETA build that will not apply in the same manner in the final game - once again this is not a demo it's three areas cobbled together with larger chunks of experience designed to allow people to level up much more quickly than normal in an effort to allow testing of more gameplay functions with this small slab of the game world.

But then you knew that already.

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Depends on why he walked through the door and what he had to do to get to that point and while on the subject it might be noted (again) that there are likely many things about the BETA build that will not apply in the same manner in the final game - once again this is not a demo it's three areas cobbled together with larger chunks of experience designed to allow people to level up much more quickly than normal in an effort to allow testing of more gameplay functions with this small slab of the game world.

But then you knew that already.

actually, it doesn't matter why he walked through the door.  he got 50 xp whether it were accidental or intentional. he gets 50 xp for walking into any building in dyrwood.  oh sure, you can no doubt come up with a wacky and/or convoluted rationalization as to why the player deserves xp for walking into tanners and armourers and inns, but that not change fact that you get 50 xp for doing so... 50 xp.  is silly.

and yeah, its the beta.  

am waiting for the point. we is talking 'bout the beta.  we is talking about build 435.  could developers do complete different in the final release? we sure hope so, 'cause as it is current implemented, the main purpose, as far as we can see, is to get woody outta ms. howe's office. the fact that woody leaves with a smile on his face is funny.

HA! Good Fun!

Does everyone have the same name on here or is someone spamming? :p

do we really wanna revisit the spamming issue?

HA! Good Fun!

Large parts of the game have been half assed done, I am not surprise this one is as well. What is the exact reason for it I don't know, and probably don't care as only the quality of end product is important. Hopefully they will prove me wrong and do something about this before release.

They implemented xp gain from exploration only because people wanted additional methods of gaining xp, and since for some reason they didn't want to do xp from combat, they added almost irrelevant, cosmetic **** like this ; )

People wanted to get XP from exploration, so now they give you xp every time you find new place.

People wanted to get XP from combat especially when fighting against critters that aren't tied to any quest, but they didn't want to implement per kill xp (for various reasons which you can find from these forums if you are interested), so they now give you xp every time you get new information about said critters in your bestiary, which you currently get from killing critters to certain point.

People wanted to get XP from lock picking and defusing traps, so now you get xp from doing those things.

People wanted to get XP from exploration, so now they give you xp every time you find new place.

That's not what many of us envisioned when they talked about exploration XP. That implementation just seems lazy to me. IMO it would have been better to give XP for finding 'secret' areas and finding things within areas (such as hidden caches).

• Like 5

It's not all about xp either; exploration rewards can be and probably should be differentiated. Taking BG1 as reference, your exploration can be rewarded with quests, fun encounters, hidden treasures, rare beasties, bits of lore, companions, shops, even just areas being pretty...

Even the kill xp is sort of objective based in that game. At the start sure you can use every point available, from the monsters, but after a while you're only really getting it from specific types of enemis which are much rarer. Some you encounter on the crit path, but some you have to seek out or just blindly stumble into during your travels an exploration.

It's really funny how replaying BG1 every few years makes me appreciate a different aspect of it :D .

That's not what many of us envisioned when they talked about exploration XP. That implementation just seems lazy to me. IMO it would have been better to give XP for finding 'secret' areas and finding things within areas (such as hidden caches).

Problem 1 is that there is no exploration at all, give me world map ala fallout and we can start talking about exploration

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Problem 1 is that there is no exploration at all, give me world map ala fallout and we can start talking about exploration

There absolutely is exploration. I've done the beta area around 20 times, and just found a fight I have apparently missed 19 times. Stick a cave in that area and bam, I found it.

The hilarious thing is is that it mostly shut the pro-kill xp people up lol.

as we said, it's funny.

the exploration xp would be handled much better via a quest that sent you to look for your "secret" areas.  could than have alternate ways to complete as opposed to mechanical and mindless click on object or walk through door.  

*shrug*

'course same applies to bestiary.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

I agree. Not a huge deal though. Maybe they'll do better in the sequel.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

The hilarious thing is is that it mostly shut the pro-kill xp people up lol.

as we said, it's funny.

the exploration xp would be handled much better via a quest that sent you to look for your "secret" areas.  could than have alternate ways to complete as opposed to mechanical and mindless click on object or walk through door.  

*shrug*

'course same applies to bestiary.

HA! Good Fun!

I completely agree that would be an interesting way to do it. It would have been an elegant solution, but they implemented the non quest xp as an afterthought (and mostly due to community complaints) and its there to have the psychological effect of constantly offering rewards. There have been a lot of studies done on this subject. It is, for example, one reason people play MMOs like World of Warcraft or Hack and Slay games like Diablo for 100s of hours and why they repeatedly do the same actions again and again. Even very minor acquisitions are psychologically rewarding if given on a regular basis. I agree though that a really cool quest could have been done with this. Even if it was relatively simplistic, Might and Magic X had a pretty straightforward bestiary quest given by a traveling chronicler. That added character to a relatively mindless task.

If it was a really cool quest it would not have been exploration xp - it would be quest experience we already have that - exploration experience is experience gained by exploring the game world - finding new maps - opening doors to new areas - some are simple some are not - all require exploring the world presented to you whether it means entering a building you have never been in before or discovering a hidden passage deep in a cave.

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

More more more. They should add in Crafting xp too! yes.gif

Like in D&D then? Making regular items costs a bit of raw goods, less than buying it—and similarly for making magical equipment, except that costs XP too? : )

Golden Frobnicator recipe:

* 300 foo

* 32 bar

* 1 baz

* 1700 XP cost

Fnord.