435 Discussion

Sensuki

QA just gave the thumbs up for the Linux and Mac 435. It should be live now. Let me know if any Mac/Linux users see problems.

Every single string is missing.

Arch Linux, 64bit.

Game Cache is verified. v. 435

edit:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70255-434-435-all-text-is-missing/

I got it fixed. Seems a combination of a huge oversight in Steam's verify game cache system along with old windows-only game data (or maybe I copied it from windows?) was the culpit.

Edited by kujeger

How come "Easy" instead of "Normal" is selected by default in the difficulty window, when starting a new game?

Kinda defies the name "Normal", doesn't it...

• Like 4

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Anyone else notice that the Loading screen pictures are like way worse quality? Like they're using jpegs instead of bitmaps or something. Mine are horribly distorted.

The changelog mentioned they changed some MIP settings, they probably forgot to disable MIP generation (or whatever) for those loading screens.

You can dual wield implements now :), not sure if that's intended though it does fit the description.

Pistols now also only use one hand so you can dual wield them as well or place them in the second hand with a sword in the main again. I'm assuming they're both bugs (the pistol definitely is), but I must say dual wielding implements with blast is alot of fun :)

post-41355-0-09251100-1423086432_thumb.png

post-41355-0-09251100-1423086432_thumb.png

• Like 1

The patch notes say

Capes no longer clip with armor on the character's model.

No, they no longer do - not even connected to it in fact :p

Sorry? Looks perfectly fine to me:

v50mNGV.png GFkfMXc.png

;)

This needs work 

So far I have not seen this  except on the inventory sheet.  Windows 64 platform.  

Yeah I'm playing on a Mac that's maybe why. I should probably file a bug report.

My main criticism so far is that I want wood elf to have a beard. Why pale elf get beards but not wood elf? :(

That said the new faces for elves look better. I think some of the godlike ones need work still though.

if that is your "main criticism," we s'pose it is a good sign.

Gromnir is most concerned about dexterity working opposite o' the way one might expect for a melee combatant.  high dexterity should speed up attack speed, but it might actual be working the opposite. is possible it is a weapons problem as 'posed to dexterity, but we haven't had an opportunity to check. we do wish the dryford weapon vendor had a better selection o' weapons so we could actual test all weapons, but... *shrug*

also, it does appear that interrupts is funky. it is possible that the attack numbers is fine, but if so, then the concentration checks is broken. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

We've already fixed the implement/pistol dual wield issue, the dex attack speed issue, and are still investigating the reported problems with interrupt. It's hard to test every bit of this game everyday with our internal testing resources, so things can break with a minor bug fix to a unrelated system. Thanks for the feedback and bug reports! Keep them coming.

• Like 11

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

We've already fixed the implement/pistol dual wield issue, the dex attack speed issue, and are still investigating the reported problems with interrupt. It's hard to test every bit of this game everyday with our internal testing resources, so things can break with a minor bug fix to a unrelated system. Thanks for the feedback and bug reports! Keep them coming.

So dual wielding implements is a bug as well? A pity as it's rather fun and unlike guns with there reload time it actually works fine as in you fire a blast run up and attack them and then fire another blast and continue when using Implement + Melee weapon. While with dual implements the mage uses them perfectly just switching back and forth between them as expected.

I don't suppose you could leave the implements 'bug' in as a feature and just fix the pistol :) ?

• Like 3

Sure we know how it is. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time if it came across that way. It's just that I believe you said this would be the last version of the beta which would be a bit of a shame.

at the risk o' repeating our self like karzak and his dual-wield thief fixation, or gifted's spam love for that matter, we will again observe that the dryford weapon merchant could be a bit better supplied, particular now that the goons in the dryford ruins has less o' a selection.  for example, priest characters gots a kinda built-in weapon focus talent and we is curious to test such weapons and builds.   the ruins goons no longer have any flails, so am thinking we is sol if we wanna try a wacky priest o' eothas who dual wields flails... which may be ludicrous, but given the current interrupt mechanic, it would appear to be not only viable character option, but an effective one. oh sure, we know where to find an estoc in the game, but we gotta play through a substantial portion o' the beta to get to it. flails? am not thinking there is one beta flail, much less two flails for dual wielding. is more than a couple very rare/non-existent weapons in the beta. the beta could benefit from a better supplied weapon's merchant.

thanks in advance for considering our suggestion.

HA! Good Fun!

ps thanks also for so quickly addressing the aforementioned dexterity peculiarity.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I've found a couple of flails, with a fine one in the cave with the spiders ( hanging in the webs ) not sure if it's random or placed though.

must be random for those finds. at least the estoc is a fixed find with the dragon's egg party... though if you talk your way outta a fight, you likely miss it. 

HA! Good Fun!

I don't know why Sensuki jumping up and down about the new ui. Looks almost the same to me. The only difference is there is a strip of wood behind it now (well a option) and triangular "gems".

I did notice a small  when inspecting a item, the icons/portrait of a item is now relocated to give that old tomes like appearance (The fancy first letter, or in this case item graphics).  Grimoire have a clipped page attached.

I know that the shop ui will have new wood soon but the layout as is still looks weird to me. i'm not completely follow everything that going on with Eternity, but it would be nice to see the vendors to have a (icon?) that display their gold reserve, their hostility levels (reputation or hostility towards a player, maybe a number to display it). Not sure about stealing, can't figure out how to use it.  

Also can we have a better zoom? I want to zoom in a little more, it can get tiny with certain resolution and I want to see those details.. Zoom out is fine as it though. 

Edited by ryukenden
  • Like 1

I'm not jumping up and down. I made a thread a while back asking for gems instead of flaps, symmetry and modularity. I got those three things. The Combat Log could be better handled and it definitely could be more decorative but my understanding has been that it was never going to be anything more than just a solid backing for the current UI.

If I go asking for a centered combat log, L shaped UI or vertical portrait bar - I'm not gonna get those things.

There have been quite a few minor general improvements to their other UI screens, asking for a complete change because I don't like the UI style they used is also going to fall on deaf ears - especially two months before the release date.

• Like 3

First time I fought Medreth, BB Wizard tossed out a Web, and it perpetually scrolled Attack Resolutions for all targets involved, forever, from then on out. Even with the game paused, there were still new "BB Wizard (spell name I can't remember because I'm a visual rememberer, but basically Web) -- 1 Hit, 2 Grazes, 1 Crit"s, appearing at a rate of about 7 per second. The weird thing is, they were all different, like it just kept rolling the Resolution or something.

So, I reloaded, and fought and beat Medreth's group, only to notice that, halfway through the battle, my combat log stopped displaying anything at all. I THINK reloading fixed it. I was unable to reproduce either bug. 8(...

(I'm a failure of a tester, :) )

Otherwise, liking the new build, in general. Yeah, I wish Interrupts weren't breeding like rabbits, but... I made a melee Wizard, and she rocks! Well, by "rocks," I mean "doesn't die super easily in that first fight unless I do something really dumb." I'm still kinda figuring out what's dumb and what isn't, 'cause I mostly know about all the mechanics, but am not super familiar with them yet, thanks to a severe lack of playtime.

Biggest complaint about combat, really, is that it's still kinda hard to tell who's gonna do what when, and who's getting hit by what when. Except for things like Knockdown and such. I think the more intuitive reactionary feedback the game can give us, the better.

MUCH more playable for me than 333 was, though. That's the last one I got to play.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

btw, the more we look at it, the attack portion o' interrupt is working as advertised.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Interrupt

the bb rogue gots an enormous perception o' 22, so that means that with a bow, which is an average weapon for interrupts, we gots a value o' 40 for her weapon and 72 for her perception. she should be getting 112 for the bow before her roll o' 1-100.

the concentration checks needs must be calculated different than it were in the past, and perhaps that is an issue. 

Concentration = Base Concentration * (1 + [{Resolve * 3}/100])

Base Concentration is a constant and for all creatures the same. It is currently 50.

ok, so... how do we get current concentration checks? old system would see an 8 resolve character with an unmodified concentration o' 62.  a 12 resolve character would have a resolve o' 68... which were kinda a minuscule difference for 4 points o' resolve.  however, it would appear that an 8 resolve character in 435 now has concentration o' 44 and a 12 resolve character has a 56 resolve. each point o' resolve is more significant, but resolve/concentration as a whole has gotten weaker while the attack portion o' interrupt became stronger.

also, crits and grazes again has Major impact on interrupt. our bb rogue crits at 168 interrupt and grazes at 56. as such, some wacky numbers from screenshots can be a bit misleading.

concentration looks to be the problem, if there is a problem.

HA! Good Fun!

ps the bb priest has a concentration o' 65. she gots 15 resolve. the bb rogue has a 22 perception, so for the bb rogue to make a success interrupt against the bb priest, the rogue need only roll a 4 or better as she needs a total o' 51 to interrupt on an ordinary successful attack.  but keep in mind that if the rogue had a perception o' 15, she would need a roll o' 46 or better to successful interrupt the bb priest. intellectually, we not see a huge problem with an attacker, armed with an average weapon, having an approx 50/50 chance o' interrupting an opponent when the attacker and the defender have equal perception and resolve scores.

Edited by Gromnir

As stated before, Bonus Interrupt should grant you a percentage of the base attack value. Currently it's giving an integer value instead.

That 112 Interrupt should be 68.8

The wiki has out of date information and Perception and Resolve now grant +6% to Interrupt/Concentration per Attribute point.

When they fix it though, I don't think High Perception builds will be that fantastic, particularly due to the fact that you no longer get Accuracy bonuses from Attributes and it's now easier to miss and harder to crit - which means less interrupts.

I'm going to try it, but I fear it will be abysmal compared to Might, Dex or Int because the result is so closely tied to attack resolution.

If it sucks, they could probably try something like Perception granting +1 Accuracy and +3-5% Interrupt. That way you can't get a super huge bonus Accuracy (+16 @ 18 was too high) and it would be fair to leave Perception at any value - as Maxmimum Perception will not necessarily be better than Might or Dexterity for DPS purposes, and the Bonus Accuracy will make you better at interrupting too.

I think Concentration with +2 Deflection and +3-6% Concentration would be fair, because Deflection is only one type of defense. Accuracy hits all of them.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

First time I fought Medreth, BB Wizard tossed out a Web, and it perpetually scrolled Attack Resolutions for all targets involved, forever, from then on out. Even with the game paused, there were still new "BB Wizard (spell name I can't remember because I'm a visual rememberer, but basically Web) -- 1 Hit, 2 Grazes, 1 Crit"s, appearing at a rate of about 7 per second. The weird thing is, they were all different, like it just kept rolling the Resolution or something.

Same thing happened my priest casting interdiction on that fight. I haven't been able to recreate it though. 

I hope sounds are still being mixed because it's still way off. Voices, many menu sounds (like bringing up inventory), certain combat effects are just WAY too loud while ambient noises desperately needs to be brought up in the mix.

I noticed this as well, especially that inventory open sound! Would be nice if they could squeeze it in before release.

we get that the wiki is out of date, that is why we noted that 112 is based on the current 6% per point of perception above 10.  same basic math for current interrupt chance is used on the attack side save that value o' perception is doubled.

there is a disconnect here.  

15 perception rogue (or anything else) with an average weapon would gets an interrupt chance o' 70.  30 value for perception. 40 value for weapon.

a defending character with a 15 resolve currently (we have no idea how the math is worked out to explain concentration) gets a concentration of 65.

to figure out a successful interrupt, we subtract concentration from interrupt and then roll d100. 70-65= 5, yes?  5 + d100 and we need 51 to be successful.  the 15 perception rogue needs a roll o' 46 on an ordinary hit.  is perhaps a bit high, but is not crazy.

HA! Good Fun!

ps and again, the point is that the beta should be no surprise... no shock. we knew interrupt modification due to perception were doubling.  based on numbers we had, 112 for the bb rogue is what we should have expected.

Edited by Gromnir