Day \ Night cycle, aesthetic or gameplay changing?

I really like day\night cycle in games;

it adds a lot in terms of atmosphere, even if only aesthetic, so i'm really happy that POE will provide it.

Would be interesting to know if there are some gameplay aspects related to it or if it's only a graphical touch (that i appreciate anyway.)

Edited by Mazisky

It has been said that there are a few (probably very few, I would think) quests that can only be resolved at night, but overall, no, there aren't any mechanical effects from it being night, unfortunately.

I would have loved it if it was at least easier to stealth at night (á la Infinite Engine) but with the shallow stealth mechanic of PoE, I wouldn't expect that at all (nor have I noticed anything to suggest that in the beta).

t50aJUd.jpg

Do people move for the day/light cycle? I'd expect fewer, maybe other people in the streets at night.

From what I seen there are allready very few people around the city. After the living city at Divinity: Origin Sin. My expectations have risen aswell.

Edited by ruzen

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Do people move for the day/light cycle? I'd expect fewer, maybe other people in the streets at night.

From what I seen there are allready very few people around the city. After the living city at Divinity: Origin Sin. My expectations have risen aswell.

Divinity Original Sin doesn't have any cycle tho, and this was a major disappointment considering that the graphic engine can manage it pretty well.

Edited by Mazisky

It has been said that there are a few (probably very few, I would think) quests that can only be resolved at night, but overall, no, there aren't any mechanical effects from it being night, unfortunately.

I would have loved it if it was at least easier to stealth at night (á la Infinite Engine) but with the shallow stealth mechanic of PoE, I wouldn't expect that at all (nor have I noticed anything to suggest that in the beta).

If so, I hope they warn you. Like "People say that a ghost appears here at midnight!" etc. I don't like to think that I'm missing valuable quests just because I happened to be walking around during the "day".

Too bad for not actual gameplay value in day/night cycle :/

what's worse about it is that the feature was present in such old games as the Baldur's Gate series, but lacking in nowadays PoE

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

I imagine there will be some in game reasons for the day/night cycle.  Like a one off enemy or two that is only around during the day, or night.  A few quests you can only do at night or at day.  Stuff like that.  It also needs to be there for immersion purposes.

what's worse about it is that the feature was present in such old games as the Baldur's Gate series, but lacking in nowadays PoE

To be fair though, the mechanical effect of the day/night cycle in BG2 was so minor most people had no idea it existed (including me; I've played BG2 on and off since release, yet only found out like a month ago that it actually affected Stealth).

Stealth is underwhelming bordering on the obscene in PoE to begin with, so Stealth not being affected by shadows/nighttime doesn't really matter or change anything. Yes, it's sad to see mechanical regression rather than evolution, but it's hardly a crime against nature.

It would be nice to see it in PoE, along with other effects, such as reduced sight (double so in rain) and other things, for sure.

If so, I hope they warn you. Like "People say that a ghost appears here at midnight!" etc. I don't like to think that I'm missing valuable quests just because I happened to be walking around during the "day".

I see no reason why the game should hold your hand. Yes, sometimes it makes sense to do that, like the ghost example, ghosts tend to become gossip, but if there's a mugging that you interfere with, a fence standing around a dark alleyway or an otter gathering nuts for it's dam at twilight, there's absolutely no reason you should be forewarned about it.

If the day/night-cycle is to be meaningful, it shouldn't just be something you go to on principle, it should be a natural part of the game, and as such you shouldn't be forewarned or have your hand held just because you fear missing a quest. Finding stuff by accident is half the fun, stumbling across new things that you hadn't seen or thought about.

Forewarning about quests depending on environmental changes... might as well hang a big "!" over the NPC:s heads.

Casual

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Dunno why, but a lot of modern games erased completely the day\night cycle feature despite their old counterparts...

For example

Ufo:Eu = Day night cycle

Xcom:Eu = No cycle

Diablo 2 = Day night cycle

Diablo 3 = No cycle

Dragon Age 2 = Day night cycle

Dragon Age 3 inquisition = No cycle

and there are a lot of series that didn't provide any day\night cycle at all in any release:

Heroes M&M series

Almost every 4x game

Anno series

etc.

Seems like developers DON'T LIKE or just IGNORE such a beautiful feature 

I'm Glad that PoE has it, even if not gameplay changing, it is still a must-have feature for the general atmosphere

Edited by Mazisky

I agree with the "If you gona add day/night cycle, dont just do it for visuals, implement with mechanichs" does night effects scouting here? If it only effects 1-2 quest which "come here by the midnight to see a ghost" It will be useless. Even in The Witcher games (which dont have stealth or scouting) Implemented "the night" feature very well. Also in Divinty: OS town was allways sunny but I allways wanted to buy something when I pass the marketplace.

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Visual is still a lot better than no cycle at all.

Only-sunny games are visually boring and that was the reason i'm waiting to play Divinity until  they'll mod or patch it with an aesthetic cycle, and the reason because i had major disappointment in playing Dragon Age Inquisition.

Raise an high density city on the last Simcity title, wait night time and then look how the only visual part has an huge impact.

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 1

Visual is still a lot better than no cycle at all.

Only-sunny games are visually boring and that was the reason i'm waiting to play Divinity until  they'll mod or patch it with an aesthetic cycle, and the reason because i had major disappointment in playing Dragon Age Inquisition.

Raise an high density city on the last Simcity title, wait night time and then look how the only visual part has an huge impact.

My thoughts exactly. I was very pleased to know there is a day/night cycle. As for quests, spells, etc. that are affected by it, this was more of an exception than a rule in the Infinity Engine games as well, wasn't it. So, I don't mind if only a few quests take the time of day into account.

• Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

There are plenty of styles of games where I don't care if there are day/night cycles at all, but (especially these days) any game that has me marching characters through some role-playing world environment filled with towns, forests and other landscapes had better either have a day/night cycle (even if only visual) or else be surrounded by 3 or 4 suns.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Maybe they had "had to do" since Eora has two moons. I wonder they put it visually (reflection, else...)

Gothic and Risen have excellent day night cycles.  Each NPC has a schedule, and many monsters go to sleep at night.  It makes the world feel more alive, and it's much easier to complete some quests and rob special areas at night.

Not to mention that the atmosphere became completely different. You had different environment sounds at night, wolves howling, fire cracking, hushed conversations over campfires... Nights were something really special in Gothic. 

as I recall there wont be (random)mob encounters in PoE or any random event. I guess there is no needed resources left, sad... I hope upcoming expantion or maybe "Witcher Enchanted edition" style update will add some of these features. For ex. Some animals might sleep? Some will lurk in the dark...I dunno. Game looks "biutiful" day&night but I hope It wont be like GTA 4 where you can look but you cant touch.

• 1 month later...

How does the cycle work exactly? I just watched some gameplay footage from v435 and when resting for 8 hours the light and shadow directions didnt change. Are there only like 2 static states (day+night) with no real transitions?

Edited by Striped_Wolf