Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tablets are on a decline

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1776 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I use my iPad for just about everything. It's my default for email and web browsing. It's my eBook reader, and most of my posts here are from its touch screen.

Most of my gaming nowadays is actually on the iPad. I take it with me everywhere and by far. It's my favorite electronic device.

Heh. Of course, the bane of all tablets and smartphone users are autocorrect and typo fails.

Oh, I disabled auto-correct from the beginning. My brain as a dictionary is ten times better than any software. 

Except the word, hubris, let me see if I remember the meaning for that one. 

Edited by ManifestedISO, 08 February 2015 - 03:29 PM.

• ShadySands and Suen like this

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2903 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Why do you all hate Star Trek so much?

Are you anti-progress? Because that's the only LOGICAL conclusion I can make.

Edited by Leferd, 08 February 2015 - 03:59 PM.

• ShadySands and ManifestedISO like this

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9061 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

If Star Trek was truly advanced, they'd be using pc's implanted into their brainstems, retina's and eardrums. Like the Borg. You will assimilate. :biggrin:

...I don't think anyone's saying tablets as a whole suck/are useless. Just that in the long run, the market demand for them probably won't be very strong.

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1776 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It would be interesting if tablets become the cassette tapes of touch computing, say, if touch becomes three dimensional, swiping and poking thin-air illusions of a 3D interface.

What's even stranger, is that the human baby my buddy and his wife just had, technically could live to see the year 2100.  

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3991 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I like my tablet. Not using it for any gaming, because I hate the slow touch-controls, but for everything else it is great. Right now I am planning to get rid of my old sound system and instead hooking speakers up on my tablet for all of my music needs. Also I am using it a lot to skype with my family (I don't see them in person very often anymore). Oh, and now I can be super lazy on saturdays and stay in bed while browsing silly websites.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1367 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

i ve been calling tablets useless for the general public since the day i first saw them. infact everyone i convinced not to waste money on a tablet now thanks me.

there is a very limited selection of activities that could benefit from a tablet but for the rest its just an oversised phone without the "phone" part

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts

I bought this thing for gaming:

IMG_20150217_194621_zps686d0577.jpg

It's made by the same company that made both my phone and my tablet and it somehow connects through Bluetooth (using weird Chinese signs), but it works. I'm playing my games flawlessly in most of the cases (not Dragon Quest 5 though, annoyingly), but GTA: Vice City and GTA: Chinatown Wars runs like a dream.

I'll be picking up KotOR and Shadowrun: Dragonfall soon. They're "not compatible" with my device, but that's usually BS (Google Play said the same for my GTA's, but I bought them through the MOGA Store just fine anyhow) so I'll just have to find a way to pay for them another way

My tablet rocks. Oh, and Dragon Quest 5 is surprisingly good..

• Bokishi likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5892 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

^I didn't even know such a thing existed but now I must have one. I am terrible at using on-screen joystick / buttons.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10491 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, that sounds cool actually. A lot of games are inaccessible on tablets right now only because of the controls. Can you tell us the specific model?

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts

Yeah, that sounds cool actually. A lot of games are inaccessible on tablets right now only because of the controls. Can you tell us the specific model?

I bought mine from here:

http://www.aliexpres...2277449063.html

It's not exactly cheap perhaps, but the quality is excellent. Like all Xiaomi products so far, actually.

I worry that it's somehow made especially for Xiaomi phones/tablets, but the seller assures that it's compatible with all Bluetooth enabled devices. I only own Xiaomi devices myself so I am not able to test if this is true.

Minezeye

Minezeye

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Steam:minezeye

I Only use my tablet when im sitting on the toilet now....

Rosveen

Rosveen

Obsidian Order's Prophet of Woe

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
My sister has a convertible laptop, that's the closest to a tablet anyone in my family ever bought. It's useful for her because she's an English teacher, she frequently meets with students at their homes so she needs something portable and also convenient to show various videos, images and stuff as needed during lessons.

I don't see the point of tablets myself. They were nice before phone screen rapidly grew in size, I suppose, but now? I don't game on my phone, though, and I wouldn't on my tablet. I find the controls clunky and I don't want to carry a controller because it defeats the point of portability. I use a 3DS for mobile gaming instead.

Mungri

Mungri

The Lord God of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 830 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't see the point in a tablet because my phone already does all of what a tablet does and has a comfortable enough screen size and fits in both hands and my pocket.

Tsuga C

Tsuga C

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Eh, I can see the advantage of the large, HD screen for reading.  But I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase one. If I won one in a raffle I'm sure I'd use it on a semi-regular basis.

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2649 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Eh, I can see the advantage of the large, HD screen for reading.  But I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase one. If I won one in a raffle I'm sure I'd use it on a semi-regular basis.

That is one thing where they are good, if they have high enough resolution (I would go with 2K display or with 4K if we speak over 13" 'tablets').

b0rsuk

b0rsuk

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 592 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Touch screens are inherently flawed. You're putting fingers in front of what you're looking at. Not only that, but they're DIRTY.

I've heard an idea too smart for people to clone. One obscure mobile device had a touchpad on the OPPOSITE side. Opposite from the screen. It would still display the cursor, so you see what you're aiming at in FPS games, obviously.

shmerl

shmerl

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Never cared for Apple (I have low respect for the company). But I did support Jolla's crowdfunding campaign for their tablet:

https://www.indiegog...dsourced-tablet

I'm not sure if it's on decline or not, for me tablets are mostly useful as e-book readers. But I don't like dumb ones which aren't fully functional computers on the other hand.

Edited by shmerl, 23 April 2015 - 07:38 PM.

Valmy

Valmy

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 953 posts
  • Steam:valmy77
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
These are great for my kids to watch cartoons and stuff on. That is about all we use them for now.

Edited by Valmy, 24 April 2015 - 08:06 AM.

cirdanx

cirdanx

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Steam:cirdanx

I always thought about buying one, and it always ended it with the realization that it would just collect dust in a corner because i would find no use for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users