The future of PoE - what would you like to see?

So this is obviously a very premature question seeing as how the game isn't released yet, and that there is an expansion coming also afterwards.

But for a potential sequel, where would you like PoE to go? Would you like to see higher levels? Focus on new classes? Engine upgrades?

Personally, I hope they go for a BG2 style sequel if it happens. Just keep the engine (of course with improvements) and focus on just making a really, really big game. Also, if PoE feels like a "traditional" fantasy setting overall, I'd like if they veered into more non-traditional areas with the setting.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing another game starting from level 1 but I don't think that will be the case if they do a sequel. Also, seeing as there already is a fair amount of classes I think that number is fine, maybe one or two additions but nothing crazier than that.

Finally, if need be, it'd be cool if they kickstarted part of the funding for extra "meat" to the whole thing like what the new Shadowrun kickstarter is doing.

Edited by Starwars
  • Like 2

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Well, we've got to see PoE first !

I agree to those you said as far as game engine, classes.

I like to dream of a PoE trilogy, and then more games ! New stories on this setting !

But then I wonder, are all those games going to be kickstarted as well? I would certainly like them to, but is Obsidian going to do it?

The future of PoE will boil down to the financial success and fame of the first game, seems to me.

But if I had to guess, I suspect Obsidian is hoping for a big, fat company to finance further games.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Backwards compatibility. That's something I've always wanted to see in games like this, but to the best of my knowledge, no-one has ever done it.

That is, as the game gets a sequel or an expansion, older versions of the core game gets updated to accommodate the new features. Let's say that PoE2 adds a new class (which I see no reason to do), I want to see that class available in PoE1.

Let's say they add ammunition and throwing weapons (which they really should), I would like to see PoE1 updated with the same content.

And so on and so forth, so that when the game line can truly be called concluded, or at least until this particular part of the IP can be considered "finished", it provides a single, seamless (mechanically and visually; the narrative may change considerably, and even involve multiple different protagonists) experience.

That's what I'd like to see for the future of PoE.

• Like 4

t50aJUd.jpg

Personal preferences.

1. Optional mode that has fixed campsites.

2. Rations and mechanics for starving and dehydrating.

3. Disease, long term wounds, scars and poison effects.

4. Limited inventory, backpacks and other containers (scabbards, coin purses, hidden sheaths etcetera) to be used and shown on the character model.

5. Turn based combat.

6. Magical damage seperated from physical damage.

7. Living world and NPC routines.

8. Functional economy, differing currencies and denominations, and a banking system.

9. Non combat spells and skills.

10. An expansion of and further detailing of the Reach, adding to and building upon the established content.

11. Consequences for abandoning or losing a quest.

12. Ritual spellcasting and further dabbling with Animancy.

13. Horses or wagons as a fast travel option, similar to Fallout 2's Chrysler, with T Ray jacking again perhaps?

14. Walking toggle.

Edit: I'm so easy to please!

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

More variety, especially in talent and ability effects. Way too many "+X to something" or "deals Y damage in some fashion" effects. 

• Like 1

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Oh yeah, that's actually a great point though! I would love for the universe to slowly move forward in regards to its technology. Of course, it'll be hard to keep the fantasy feel eventually but just small steps to change things ever so slightly now and then.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Prestige classes (complete with some unique gear). Instead of D&D's class/level/stats classic route, I really think there is potential in the advanced reputation system. Say, if you're really stoic, you can become a Reasonist or something (I'm not that strong in stoicism. :p).

Whips, walking sticks and boomerangs would also be pretty cool. :)

I hope it would be continuation with possibility of implementation saves from PoE1 - i always liked that in the games (eg Mass Effect, Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky etc). I do hope that the level cap will be raised ... a lot (like 25 or even 30), with advanced character development (more variety of skills, talents, some perks). We dont know yet much about music in first PoE - but i've heard that it wasn't so important for creators - i hope they will put more attention to music in their future productions - as the good music could make HUGE difference in game experiance. Bigger world - imo ENDLESS Paths of Od Nua should have like 100 levels (like Palace of the Dead from Tactics Ogre) not 15 - i hope that they will do somethink like that in the PoE2 or even in the expansion to 1 - some epic dungeon with EPIC challenges and monsters - eg each 10th level with Super Boss, and 100th level with ULTIMATE Boss - that would be sweet. I think there is no need for mentioning that i expect epic plot and dialogues. I hope they will make some nice puzzles and riddles - in which people have to actually think - the joy from completing hard task is always great. More races and portraits. Like 1-2 new classes. 

Personal preferences.

4. Limited inventory, backpacks and other containers (scabbards, coin purses, hidden sheaths etcetera) to be used and shown on the character model.

5. Turn based combat.

8. Functional economy, differing currencies and denominations, and a banking system.

10. An expansion of and further detailing of the Reach, adding to and building upon the established content.

13. Horses or wagons as a fast travel option, similar to Fallout 2's Chrysler, with T Ray jacking again perhaps?

14. Walking toggle.

This pretty much sums up what I want as well. Oh, but don't forget repair and item degradation.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

expansion into huger game with incredible C&C and tons of awesome items and skills, with cool secret companions.

Then they use the generational-souls concept to make tons of $$$ by making it break the MMO concepts of gameplay: your actyions transfer via souls to dynamically change the MMO world.

BOOM. **** you WoW and the blizzard lowest-common-denominator polished approach.

Personal preferences.

5. Turn based combat.

14. Walking toggle.

Huh, impressive.

Every single one of those ranges from "Eh, don't care." to "Please, NO!" for me.

• Like 4

Personal preferences.

5. Turn based combat.

14. Walking toggle.

But then it won't have the IE feel :(

• Like 1

A bit early to talk about yet, but what I would like to see would be:

-Moving foliage. I loved that when we saw this in a demonstration. It will help environments feel more alive.

-Revamped skill system. I was never a fan of the few skills we have in the game.

-Multiclassing or something similar. I enjoy this but I know it is a very subjective... subject. If not multiclassing, the possibility of kits.

-Maybe how attributes work. I neither like or dislike the way they work at the moment. We'll see after having played the game once or twice.

I would have to play the game for forming an opinion on much of the other things one could talk about.

Edited by Labadal
  • Like 2

Assuming the first one is something I like, which I have a feeling based on videos it will be, I would like the sequel to be very similar to the original. I am not a fan of making drastic changes from one game to the next within the same gaming universe. Dragon age has been doing that and that really ruined a potentially excellent franchise.

If this one works out well then they should just make some slight changes and improvements. Maybe implement a few things that they would have liked to do in this game but couldn't do for various reasons but bottom line is they need to make the sequels feel very similar to the original.

• Like 1

1. Fix all B (Issues that the average player will run into), C (Minor issues that are more along with polish) and D (Suggestions) issues. Basically have a flawless engine.

2. Moar portraits!

3. Optimize so that we can have even more units per map and loot can be dropped. Make the game playable on low-end machines or small laptops without graphic cards.

I trust Obz to come up with the rest.

Edited by Rumsteak