Which class for me?

Hello,

I would like some help in choosing a class for my main character in Path of Exile.

I usually enjoy playing as spell casters, using spells for AoE damage and support. The thing is, I really don't like the spell system in D&D, in which we pick a few times to use a spell per rest and that's it. This lack of flexibility is the main reason why I couldn't bring myself to play Baldur's Gate 2, despite how Planescape: Torment is one of my favourite games (since it has relatively few fights, so the magic system didn't bother me THAT much).

From what I have heard, the wizard magic system in Pillars of Eternity is a bit less rigid - we have a number of spell casts per level, as opposed to being able to use only specific spells that have been previously readied. But I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy that new wizard system either.

Is there any other class with a playstyle similar to what I enjoy? As in, a magic user with area of effect damage and support? Or should I just try the wizard anyway?

Wizards in Pillars of Eternity have a spell system that is similar to sorcerers in the IE games as you described.

Chanters, a buffer class, have a more dynamic spell system using invocations that are triggered through the use of chants and so therefore don't have a per rest mechanic.

Druids and Priests also have AOE spells as well as support abilities.

Have you checked out the wiki? Maybe it'll help you decide.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Pillars_of_Eternity_Wiki

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I would like some help in choosing a class for my main character in Path of Exile.

Hmm I would go with the Witch considering you like spell casters.  Maybe the Monk/Templar guy?  Personally I started with the Duelist and enjoyed that pretty well.

Oh... you mean Pillars of Eternity?  :p

I would suggest maybe a Druid, Wizard, or Cipher.  Wizards are basically D&D Mages only you can switch out spell books for totally different spell sets.  Druids are just like D&D Druids only horribly OP.  Ciphers are like fghter/mages who have a far smaller selection of "spells" but can cast them fairly often and never really "run out".

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is it going to be pretty easy to assemble a balanced group?  Or at least a group that suits your style?

Also, do we get to level up our followers?  I have played the Dragon Age series, but no IE games, so I am used to my primary choice not mattering much since I get to build out all my companions.

I am leaning towards a Soldier with bow skills, but druids and rangers sound cool too.

Thanks in advance

Is it going to be pretty easy to assemble a balanced group?  Or at least a group that suits your style?

Also, do we get to level up our followers?  I have played the Dragon Age series, but no IE games, so I am used to my primary choice not mattering much since I get to build out all my companions.

I am leaning towards a Soldier with bow skills, but druids and rangers sound cool too.

Thanks in advance

If you want you can make your own custom party from the ground up using the adventurers hall.  That said there are NPC companions in the game with their own unique stories, quests, and dialog if you want to bring party members with an actual personality like what you would see in Dragon Age.  The classes covered by the NPC companions are Fighter, Druid, Priest, Wizard, Ranger, Cipher, Chanter, and Paladin.

So yes, it should be very easy to make a balanced party in this game.

Edited by Karkarov

Which class is battlemage in this game?

Depends on your definition of battlemage, really, as that varies from game to game. If you're talking "mage who also fights with conventional weapons", you probably want a cipher. They build up focus using weapon attacks which they can then use for their powers. Very squishy, though.

• Like 1
jcod0.png

Which class is battlemage in this game?

Chanter, in a weird way. They're like a Dovahkiin. They have chants that either boost themselves and their party, or do harm/debuff enemies near them, which build up into invocations. Invocations can do everything traditional magic can, but have a short range and cone targeting cursor, thus being most useful for someone in close-to-mid range. They have the most powerful summons, and can summon anything from the undead to dragons. They also have abilities to provide regeneration to their party, have the highest base deflection of any class, and have a decent accuracy rate as well. More suited for melee, but still very valuable at range pumping out party buffs and powerful summons.

If you want something less hardy, Cipher works. They are psyonic warriors who gain power to channel their abilities by hitting their target. The range is large, but can only target creatures. Unlike chanters, they are able to use these abilities immediately and require no initial build up time. But they will run out of focus after a few castings when using higher level abilities, and will need to regen focus through hitting. They are capable of very high single target damage, but lack the chanter's ability to survive when attacked directly. They have excellent crowd control capabilities, and their abilities never risk friendly fire. When coupled with a rogue, they have the ability to provide the rogue with almost unlimited sneak attack opportunities, and can otherwise assist the party dramatically in many areas. They are a class with many powerful options, making every choice of ability worth thinking about. Very few classes can boast of this.

Druids are another class you might consider a battle mage. They can shapeshift, but they can also cast several powerful spells, while also containing very limited healing capabilities. Considering their spell ranges and functions, they can work very well on the front-line, slinging spells and swinging swords. 

• Like 1

I think i will choose Chanter because Kana Rua 's face looks like a real nightmare to me.  :biggrin:

I think they changed his portrait in the last stream with Josh Sawyer. He looks worse for me when compared with portrait from update about chanters and priests.

Edited by White Phoenix

Personally, I plan on playing Blunderbuss Cipher for basically this reason -- I don't like the memorized-spells mechanic and never really have; Ciphers play closer to D&D Sorcerors or Psionicists, with a list of point-cost powers.

Otherwise, yeah, priests, druids, and chanters are all pretty flexible. Nice thing with Chanters is you can build them very defensively since they don't really need heavy offensive stats.