Who fills the rogue shoes?

wanderon

the new beta build has tuned the skill checks for stealth and mechanics making both more challenging.  have a rogue would appear to be even more valuable if one wishes a party member who could possible disarm traps without needing to leave the protection o' stealth.

HA! Good Fun!

Well fortunately none of that is tied to being a Rogue.  They just get level one bonuses for it.  I wanted one for their class mechanics.

the new beta build has tuned the skill checks for stealth and mechanics making both more challenging.  have a rogue would appear to be even more valuable if one wishes a party member who could possible disarm traps without needing to leave the protection o' stealth.

HA! Good Fun!

Well fortunately none of that is tied to being a Rogue.  They just get level one bonuses for it.  I wanted one for their class mechanics.

The problem being that most of the joinable NPCs are probably going to have at least a couple level-up decisions in the books before we get the chance to tinker with them.  Since none of them seem likely to come with built-in Stealth/Mechanics investment, it looks like our options are going to be either to build a PC with roguey skills (whether an actual Rogue or not), use the adventurers' hall to make the same (and lose the narrative appeal of having a compantion with lines), or wait until we have controlled the jNPCs long enough to get one of them caught up to the level of skill checks that we're encountering. 

(Or stumble into a lot of traps, I guess.)

Edited by Enoch

HA! Good Fun!

The problem being that most of the joinable NPCs are probably going to have at least a couple level-up decisions in the books before we get the chance to tinker with them.  Since none of them seem likely to come with built-in Stealth/Mechanics investment, it looks like our options are going to be either to build a PC with roguey skills (whether an actual Rogue or not), use the adventurers' hall to make the same (and lose the narrative appeal of having a compantion with lines), or wait until we have controlled the jNPCs long enough to get one of them caught up to the level of skill checks that we're encountering. 

(Or stumble into a lot of traps, I guess.)

am more concerned with the story contributions o' characters than we is with stats and skills n' such, but even so, based on our play o' poe beta, we woulda' expected that of the earliest joinable npcs available, a few basic roles would be fulfilled.  need some kinda heals?  maybe not absolute need, but if you ain't playing a priest, you likely want one.  particularly if we is playing on hard difficulty, we want a front-line character that can absorb a couple hits without dying.  those two is essential for Gromnir, but right behind those two is a stealthy guy who can actual disarm traps.  

we played around with a priest o' skaven who took the merchant background to get +1 to lore and +1 mechanics.  we then put points relative equal into stealth and mechanics.  our character were wholly inadequate in satisfying the traditional thiefy role in the new beta build.   

PMD

is a horribly non political correct, but the polish mine detector were pnp slang from the 80s. assume that either your party thief is dead, or perhaps in spite o' the fact that your thief didn't detect any traps, you is still suspicious o' danger surrounding that unguarded and jewel-encrusted serpent statue.  solution? let most expendable character test the waters. 

we would rather not use PMD approach for a significant portion o' poe.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Seeing we've already seen a couple of items which offer Skill bonuses It probably won't matter to much if the first few levels of points have been spent not in your preferred skill for a companion. With the cost structure of the skills 1,2,3,4,5,6... points it's relatively quick to catch up to within a level or so of a char that's been maxing out one skill and with items of +1 or 2 to Stealth or Mechanics you should be able to get to a similar skill level.

• Like 1

Seeing we've already seen a couple of items which offer Skill bonuses It probably won't matter to much if the first few levels of points have been spent not in your preferred skill for a companion. With the cost structure of the skills 1,2,3,4,5,6... points it's relatively quick to catch up to within a level or so of a char that's been maxing out one skill and with items of +1 or 2 to Stealth or Mechanics you should be able to get to a similar skill level.

that is actual a good point.  our experimental fifth level priest o' skaen has a stealth o' 4 and a mechanics o' 5... and lore 'o 3 from initial +2 for cleric, and +1 for merchant.  skill checks we face for mechanics in the beta appear to range mostly 'tween 6 and 9. with skill boosts item o' +2, we could succeed on a significant number o' such checks.  am not looking for perfection.

we still not have anywhere near enough points to get pass future lore checks, but the priest for stealth and mechanics may not be the complete waste we thought it were.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah this is actually incredibly true because the first few skills levels are also the cheapest to buy.  Even if a guy joins at level 3 or 4 it will be easy to pump up say mechanics if you focus only that on level 5/6/7.

Yeah this is actually incredibly true because the first few skills levels are also the cheapest to buy.  Even if a guy joins at level 3 or 4 it will be easy to pump up say mechanics if you focus only that on level 5/6/7.

not to put a damper on things, but the beta can be misleading given how quick we level. according to the developers, the real game leveling will be much slower. the gap between levels 3-4 and 5-7 represents a considerable amount o' game time, and if you is without a useful rogue between levels 1 and 7...

*shrug*

if you want a poe companion character to fill the traditional thief role, you may needs have to commit rather early... or accept that 1/2 or more o' the game will see you doing the PMD nonsense.

HA! Good Fun!

if you want a poe companion character to fill the traditional thief role, you may needs have to commit rather early... or accept that 1/2 or more o' the game will see you doing the PMD nonsense.

HA! Good Fun!

Nah.  Everyone gets like 6 skill points a level or something.  It only takes 1 for your first, 2 for your second, 3 for the third.  So you could technically take a skill from 0 to 3 on one level.