[392] Confused about deflection

jcamero

I haven't really played the Backer Beta yet and have mostly just been playing around with character creation. I've read the forums a fair bit and people have said base deflection has been changed from how it's listed in the wiki, but I couldn't find anywhere where it was listed, so I tried to figure it out myself.

The BB Fighter has a 43 listed underneath the shield on the character record, and a listed deflection bonus of -2 (due to having only 9 deflection). So that suggests a base Level 4 Fighter deflection of 45. Cool.

My Chanter has 48 deflection, off a +4 deflection bonus on intellect, suggesting a base 44 deflection for a Level 4 Chanter. Fine.

Things got weird when I created a Heath Orlan Level 3 Druid. I pumped intellect to 18, which according to character record gives me a +16 to deflection. However, I ended up with an 82 deflection, suggesting that a Level 3 Druid's base deflection is 66. This seems huge compared to a Fighter. Is Druid really that much tankier than a fighter, or - as is far more likely - am I missing something?

Thanks, and apologies for the probable daftness of my question. 

Here are the base deflection values for each class at level 1 from a post of JS's a while back, they gain some bonus to deflection for each level up. Not sure what's going on with the druid may simply be a bug.

Fighter    35
Rogue    25
Priest    25
Wizard    20
Barb    25
Ranger    30
Druid    30
Paladin    35
Monk    35
Cipher    30
Chanter    35

Here are the base deflection values for each class at level 1 from a post of JS's a while back, they gain some bonus to deflection for each level up. Not sure what's going on with the druid may simply be a bug.

Fighter    35

Rogue    25

Priest    25

Wizard    20

Barb    25

Ranger    30

Druid    30

Paladin    35

Monk    35

Cipher    30

Chanter    35

That's really helpful, thanks!

With the druid, I'm afraid I was being an idiot and not noticing that she had a large shield equipped (although that said, the large shield says it's only adding 20, when it appears to be adding 30, but at least it's not astronomically different now).

In v392 they gain +3/level on their deflection (and also on reflex, fortitude and willpower, as well as on accuracy)

Also the Paladin gains extra deflection from "Faith & Conviction", while the Fighter may get and use a modal ability to raise his. Not sure about the other classes.

Using a shield raises deflection as well, while gimping accuracy.