Sid Meier's Starships

Leferd

New video of Sid Meier showcasing gameplay for HIS next game.

Impressive demo. Looks like it'll have both a strategic and deep tactical component to it. I really dig the hexagon tiles --classic grognardism.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 4

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I dont know, graphic style is not my cup of tea, hex based space combat feels very limiting, nah thanks, i will stick to EvE for my dose of tactical space combat

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Meh after 5 and BE, I'll grab it when it is dirt cheap. Does remind me I have Endless Space to play

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm more than willing to give Sid Meier the benefit of the doubt.

Silent Service

Pirates!

Red Storm Rising

F-15 Strike Eagle

Sword of the Samurai

Covert Action

Railroad Tycoon

Civilization

Colonization

Gettysburg!

Ace Patrol

Alpha Centauri

X-COM

Whenever he touches a new genre, it tends to be gold. He was more hands off in the latter two but he is directly involved with Starships.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Meh after 5 and BE, I'll grab it when it is dirt cheap. Does remind me I have Endless Space to play

Especially with the expansion, Endless Space has so many moving parts and randomness it starts to be impossible to tell why you're actually losing or winning battles. Other than that, it's a nice game.

As for the topic, I'll probably play it when it's out, but I doubt I'll be following info and news about it until.

Edited by MrBrown

Speaking of BE, I hope they come out with 5 or so expansions pretty soon. It's just sitting around collecting digital e-dust

was he directly involved in BE or were they just using his name for the title? something like Clive Barker's Jericho, that had nothing to do with Clive Barker besides using his books for inspiration

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

He wasn't day to day with BE. He's leading development on Starships --hence why it's close to release.

Speaking of BE, I hope they come out with 5 or so expansions pretty soon. It's just sitting around collecting digital e-dust

was he directly involved in BE or were they just using his name for the title? something like Clive Barker's Jericho, that had nothing to do with Clive Barker besides using his books for inspiration

In my understanding most that Sid Meier did towards Xcom, Civilization 5 (also 2, 3 and 4 were mainly designed by other people) and Beyond Earth was to give his name (as it has become somewhat brand these days), his company's resources and some advices to designers of those games, at least that is what he has said in interviews about those games. So in my understanding Sid Meier has not had lots of hands on involvement with Firaxis's games, but of course as co-owner and creative director he has lot to say what ideas of games will get realized and his opinions about mechanics, etc. probably carry quite heavy weight.

• Like 2

Moar combat!

I'm liking the tactical depth shown in this demo. Very much like XCOM in space violence.

Edited by Leferd

I've seen enough. Count me in. Besides I haven't bought or played a new game since Skyrim. I'm due.

Wait this isn't MMO is it? If it is forget it. NI. 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

lol one guy asks why there are single planets and not entire solar systems. it seems nobody has informed him that there is a certain zone around a star where the conditions are right for sustaining life. all planets outside the zone may have small outposts but cant support vast colonies even with terraforming. they are simply too close or too far to have a viable enviroment outside artificial biospheres

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I've seen enough. Count me in. Besides I haven't bought or played a new game since Skyrim. I'm due.

Wait this isn't MMO is it? If it is forget it. NI. 

Part of what makes me excited about this game is that this is one of Meier's pet projects  --small team, lower budget, and freedom for him to to design and iterate based on his sensibilities. When you give a guy of his credentials and artistic vision the independence to make a game that he wants to make --these are the types of bets I can always get behind.

And no, it's not an MMO.

https://www.2k.com/games/sid-meiers-starships

GAME INFO

Take command of a fleet of powerful starships in this adventure-driven strategy game from legendary designer Sid Meier. Travel to new worlds, completing missions to help save and protect the planets and their people from dangerous Space Pirates, to powerful Marauders and other hostile factions. Build a planetary federation as you strengthen your fleet and secure your homeworld as you attempt to preserve intergalactic peace and  your vision of humanity. Set in the universe of Civilization: Beyond Earth after the age of the Seeding, Sid Meier’s Starships offers sci-fi/strategy fans a full stand-alone game experience that also features cross-connectivity with Beyond Earth, expanding the depth of both games.  See if you have what it takes to rule the universe!

FEATURES

• Tactical space combat: Encounter unique tactical challenges in every mission, with dynamically generated maps, victory conditions, and foes.

• Fully customizable starships: Create an armada that fits your tactical plan with modular spaceship design.

• Diplomacy, strategy, and Exploration: Expand the influence of your Federation and gain the trust of the citizens of new planets. Use the unique abilities of the each planet to enhance your fleet and Federation, and keep your opponents in check. Build improvements on worlds to increase the capabilities and resources of your Federation.

• A galaxy of adventure: Explore the galaxy as you lead your fleet to distant worlds and complete missions to help the citizens of these planets. Fight pirates, protect colony ships, destroy rogue AI, and more.

• Multiple paths to victory: Will you win by conquering the greatest threat to the galaxy? Or will you unite a plurality of worlds in your Federation? Perhaps you will lead your people to push the frontiers of science. Each choice you make carries consequences on your path to victory

I can't wait

enhanced-1731-1423160571-1.jpg

I consider myself well versed in Trek lore, but I am failing at this particular lore check.

Voyager. It had to be Voyager. Never liked Voyager.

enhanced-buzz-723-1423161531-8.jpg

But I can see the resemblance now.

• Like 1

Meier's approach in designing this game. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sid-meier-s-starships-going-beyond-beyond-earth/1100-6424735/

"When I did Pirates and Civilization and Railroads, we spent a year on a game," says Meier, "and two-thirds of that time was actively designing the game. Changing it, playing it every day. These days, we might spend two or three years on a game, but there's only the same amount of actual game design time. So what I wanted to get back to was a method of making games that really focused on game design, that allowed us to spend most of our time designing and maybe a little less of our time on all the other stuff needed to make games."

"We can do games on a shorter schedule," he continues, "but there's still the same amount of actual game design, the same amount of time spent iterating and evolving the game as with other games. For me, the fun part is the design and watching it grow and iterating, and this approach gives us the ability to kind of focus most of our time and energy on that part of what we're making."

Which explains the relatively low production values we've seen so far. I like the idea behind auteur style game design. He's going back to his roots.

• Like 3