I have a bad feeling about KOTOR 2.....

Anyone else feel the same way? A sequel to the amazing Knights of the Old Republic and it's not being made by BIOWARE.... BIOWARE is a proven and established RPG developer - who the heck is Obsidian???? Someone please reassure me.

Obsidian seems to be on a schedule to release the game around Episode 3 (2005)... How can I expect to see a game even come close to KOTOR in depth and quality when it took BIOWARE so long to make the original?

IMO, no offense to Obsidian, but BIOWARE should be the only people making a sequel to KOTOR - and I can tell you why they are not - BIOWARE probably told LucasArts that it is impossible to produce a worthy sequel to KOTOR in such a short time period.

When I heard that BIOWARE is not developing the sequel my anticipation for the game dropped right through the floor. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Obsidian display's at E3 for my interst level to rise.

What are your thoughts?

Anyone else feel the same way? A sequel to the amazing Knights of the Old Republic and it's not being made by BIOWARE.... BIOWARE is a proven and established RPG developer - who the heck is Obsidian???? Someone please reassure me.

Obsidian seems to be on a schedule to release the game around Episode 3 (2005)... How can I expect to see a game even come close to KOTOR in depth and quality when it took BIOWARE so long to make the original?

IMO, no offense to Obsidian, but BIOWARE should be the only people making a sequel to KOTOR - and I can tell you why they are not - BIOWARE probably told LucasArts that it is impossible to produce a worthy sequel to KOTOR in such a short time period.

When I heard that BIOWARE is not developing the sequel my anticipation for the game dropped right through the floor. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Obsidian display's at E3 for my interst level to rise.

What are your thoughts?

You want reassurance? Most of the guys at Obsidian are former Black Isle developers. Heard of Black Isle? Made Planescape: Torment, and the Fallout games? The top 3 PC RPGs of all time? Reassurance given.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Anyone else feel the same way?  A sequel to the amazing Knights of the Old Republic and it's not being made by BIOWARE....  BIOWARE is a proven and established RPG developer - who the heck is Obsidian????  Someone please reassure me.

Obsidian seems to be on a schedule to release the game around Episode 3 (2005)...  How can I expect to see a game even come close to KOTOR in depth and quality when it took BIOWARE so long to make the original?

When I heard that BIOWARE is not developing the sequel my anticipation for the game dropped right through the floor.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what Obsidian display's at E3 for my interst level to rise.

What are your thoughts?

Worry not, worry not. Obsidian is the successor company to Black Isle studios.....the Black Isle studios that made the Fallouts and Planescape: Torment, which are considered some of the finest RPGs ever made.

And as to why it's not taking as long:

1) They've been working on it since before they announced it. I think I heard since KOTOR was released?

2) They're working with an engine, combat system, etc. that's already been created.

In point of fact, I'd say I'm MORE confident that Obsidian will deliver a great product than if it'd been in Bioware's hands. Planescape: Torment is my favorite game of all time, Fallout and Fallout 2 amongst my top 25. There is very, very little to worry about, IMHO.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Worry not, worry not. Obsidian is the successor company to Black Isle studios.....the Black Isle studios that made the Fallouts and Planescape: Torment, which are considered some of the finest RPGs ever made.

Okay - if that's true then yes I feel a lot better now.

It must be a fan thing. Or the complete lack of decent crpgs since... ehh since...

Since a long time ago (BG2 ?)

I don't get why all the fuzz about Kotor1. It has shallow story, inconsequential npcs, horrible small maps and disastrously bad inventory system.

Ok, that was the negative side.

The positive side. It was a "soft" introduction to Star Wars rpg. It was fast, fun and gave the clueless like me the option to see more of Starwars than just the movies. The game was forgiving, in that you couldn't really bungle up anything, you knew what to do next.

And you could complete a game in a few late nights.

As a crpg Kotor1 is good (and fun, thats the most important part), not exceptional, and definitely below what both Bioware of old and especially the former Black Islanders in Obsidian are capable of.

I played Kotor1 through 4 times now, loved all 4 trips. Am probably going to play through it 2-3 more times. When Obsidian releases Kotor2, I expect no less than several sleepless weeks B)

Make that a month or two... :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Let's not forget that it seems Bioware CAME to Obsidian to make this game.

If Bioware trusts Obsidian and the devs that work here... maybe we all should too. :)

Just a thought :p

If Bioware trusts Obsidian and the devs that work here... maybe we all should too. ;)

Just a thought :)

Ehh...

Could also be a case of "You scratch my back, I scratch your back" :)

Black Isle sort of kicked Bioware off on the path of crpg development. I don't know all the details (didn't know about forums then), but I get the impression that Bioware is returning the favour.

Never mind how it came to be. Kotor1 was the most fun I've had since BG2. And I had sworn never, never to buy a Bioware game after NWN... :D

I expect a serious lot of things from Obsidian :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

well, lot's of bioware people are also former black isle people.

and please don't use that ugly word (Noob).

there is no such thing as a noob, there is just beginners and wrecked people who have played too much and lost all their respect for beginners.

plus, elite language is prohibited around here I think.

/In the end we are all the same.

Noob is just boon spelled backwards. Newb is the ugly word. :( Noobs are boons because they will become new vets and buy the game and increase sales and profits encouraging sequels and keeping good companies in business. Some can be annoying though. Noob is "Elite language?" Come to think of it what is elite language?

"You want reassurance? Most of the guys at Obsidian are former Black Isle developers. Heard of Black Isle? Made Planescape: Torment, and the Fallout games? The top 3 PC RPGs of all time? Reassurance given. "

top 3 rpgs? really? not based on anything objective like sales figures, that is for sure. heck black isle's IWD sold better than any of the games you mentioned. and fallout is probably the mostest overrated game we ever played. average writing and poor balance is just a couple of the oft overlooked flaws of fallout... adolescent males seemed to be liking the Mad Max style setting and bloodshed and mature content as kinda a reactionary response to other fantasy crpgs. even so, Gromnir liked fallout, am just not sure that a top 3 consideration is warranted. best we can say is that you named some games we like very much despite their mediocre sales.

furthermore, how many obsidian guys actually worked on fallout? is probably more guys at obsidian who worked on Heart of Winter, Torn and IWD2 if only 'cause they was much more recent projects from bis. so, does those titles inspire confidence in folks?

a former bis developer sarcastically noted that the bio ceos had mentioned that fergie and bis had never produced a AAA game.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

is amusing that bioware made kotor. couldn't help but notice just how much kotor looked and played like ps:t... good and bad. combat weren't particularly challenging in either game, and the customization of the protagonist were somewhat limited, and balance was poor, but the npcs was highly developed and the writing was the real draw for most folks...

Agree, for the most part....but to be blunt, Dave Gaider is no Chris Avellone. The writing in Torment was much better than the writing in KOTOR, the characters much more three dimensional, and the general feel much more mature. It wasn't as good graphically, and it certainly wasn't as popular, but Torment outclasses KOTOR in every area that really counts.

Again, this is why I say I'm actually more confident in KOTORII now that it's in Obsidian's hands. Bioware has made some great games, but if KOTORII is even half the game Torment was, it's going to blow the original out of the water.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Agree, for the most part....but to be blunt, Dave Gaider is no Chris Avellone. The writing in Torment was much better than the writing in KOTOR, the characters much more three dimensional, and the general feel much more mature. It wasn't as good graphically, and it certainly wasn't as popular, but Torment outclasses KOTOR in every area that really counts.

Again, this is why I say I'm actually more confident in KOTORII now that it's in Obsidian's hands. Bioware has made some great games, but if KOTORII is even half the game Torment was, it's going to blow the original out of the water.

Shh. The influx of Bioware refugees are so going to feed you to a giant cheesegrater.

You're a buzzkill sometimes Gromnir :(

Despite his claims of the opposite, I still suspect him of being an orc ;)

Bioware let Obsidian have KotOR 2 simply because BIO is more interested in making it's own IPs succesful, now that they have been succesful with D&D (several times) and with Star Wars.

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply with your wording, but this is hardly a case of the BIO CEOs coming before Fergie, bowing and presenting KotOR2 on a silver plate. :(

I'm keeping an open mind about KotOR II, if it's going to suck, then it will. There's always good 'ole KotOR that you can play if it fails. Without going way deep into speculation like Gromnir, history shows that good sequels = rare. A few examples:

- Unreal 1 > Unreal 2

- Deus Ex 1 > Deus Ex 2

- Unreal Tournament > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004

...and so on...

I dunno about the differences between the Baldurs gate and Fallout series, but the only sequel that i played that outshined its predecessor is System Shock II.

No doubt that Obsidian are having a difficult task to accomplish.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

is amusing that bioware made kotor.  couldn't help but notice just how much kotor looked and played like ps:t... good and bad.

while we're acknowledging Bio's debt to PS:T, i think it extends beyond KOTOR1: the final chapter of HOTU (incidentally, the best thing they've done since the BG series ended) is essentially PS:T redux.

dumber than a bag of hammers

I dunno about the differences between the Baldurs gate and Fallout series, but the only sequel that i played that outshined its predecessor is System Shock II.

I, for one, much prefer BG2 over BG1.

So shoot me.

I, for one, much prefer BG2 over BG1.

So shoot me.

As i said, i don't know about the BF and Fallout series, since i never tried them.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy