Hey there!

In the gameplay presentation, it looked as if our characters will be running around all the time, even indoors (in the shop for example). Will we be able to toggle between running and walking in the finished game? :)

Cheers, Lythe

Edited by Lythe Vodaine
  • Like 4

FdSm3p1.png

Judging from everything we know and from Sawyer's misunderstanding of the issue, no, there will be no walking whatsoever anywhere and no toggle.

Everyone is a marathon runner on a mission, weapons drawn and ready for combat, whether in a king's court, on a shopping spree or in a dungeon most foul.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Judging from everything we know and from Sawyer's misunderstanding of the issue, no, there will be no walking whatsoever anywhere and no toggle.

Everyone is a marathon runner on a mission, weapons drawn and ready for combat, whether in a king's court, on a shopping spree or in a dungeon most foul.

Well, as a role player aiming to immerse myself into a game, that would be a real bummer for me. So NPCs are allowed to walk, but I have to run everywhere? :(

Edited by Lythe Vodaine
  • Like 2

FdSm3p1.png

Well, as a role player aiming to immerse myself into a game, that would be a real bummer for me. So NPCs are allowed to walk, but I have to run everywhere? sad.png

Yes.

Unfortunately.

I cannot describe how much better it would've been to walk everywhere compared to running everywhere. Ideally, you'd be able to toggle it or have it include mechanical effects, and perhaps only force walking while in combat (because contrary to what Josh Sawyer seems to think, you don't actually run around in combat unless you're trying to cover a significant, clear distance and no-one is actively trying to stab you).

But yeah. No walking whatsoever. Just running. Run to the store. Run to the farmer. Run out of town. Run up to the beetles and run around in combat, then run back to town, runningly.

Atleast your adventurers have a sense of urgency about them.

I can see it already, running up to the merchant and going GO GO GO GO WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG YOU ARE CLEARLY NOT OPERATOR ENOUGH OH GOD GO GO GO GO GO and then grab the gear, run out of town while simultaneously packing your multiple Bags of Holding that you somehow acquired before the adventures even started, and just start wildly smacking skeletons somewhere while hurrying through a dungeon, shouting at your team-mates.

Terrorists win.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Well, as a role player aiming to immerse myself into a game, that would be a real bummer for me. So NPCs are allowed to walk, but I have to run everywhere? sad.png

If the mountain won't come to Muhammed … you could start running everywhere when afk? : )

• Like 2

Fnord.

If the mountain won't come to Muhammed … you could start running everywhere when afk? : )

Reverse immersion? Adapt real life to the game? Hmmm... An interesting suggestion for sure. :D

• Like 1

FdSm3p1.png

One assumes now that we must simply request that this be added as a feature for patching, the expansion or whatever, as the game nears completion. Unless some gentleman or lady modder sees fit to intervene, in their wisdom.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yes.

Unfortunately.

I cannot describe how much better it would've been to walk everywhere compared to running everywhere. I

LoL No

Both are bad. I prefer a walk option myself but not having the ability to run is infurating too. Especially when you are confronted with fetch quests and the like. That also counts towards other gernes.

Theres several moments I remember when a game expected me to backtrack several locations and I was like fuuuuuuuuuuuu because the charachters were slow

Both are questionable design choices.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

Sensuki and Bester, if memory serves, played around with it. When they had the party walking I guess it looked pretty weird and not flattering. It's likely something that OE would need to do- possibly in the expansion. Since it seems likely they'll ask for what we want to see in the expansion, it's a topic worth continuing when that comes up.

• Like 6

Yes.

Unfortunately.

I cannot describe how much better it would've been to walk everywhere compared to running everywhere. I

LoL No

Both are bad. I prefer a walk option myself but not having the ability to run is infurating too. Especially when you are confronted with fetch quests and the like. That also counts towards other gernes.

Theres several moments I remember when a game expected me to backtrack several locations and I was like fuuuuuuuuuuuu because the charachters were slow

Both are questionable design choices.

You might have failed your reading comprehension check there. I didn't say that not having an option to run wouldn't be infuriating. I said that always walking would be preferably to always running. Obviously, like I said, the best option would be to have both (sans combat, possibly).

Both, either always walking, or always running, are bad. But always running is worse.

Let me know if I need to draw you a spreadsheet and a diagram to explain the post.

I actually won't.

Sensuki and Bester, if memory serves, played around with it. When they had the party walking I guess it looked pretty weird and not flattering. It's likely something that OE would need to do- possibly in the expansion. Since it seems likely they'll ask for what we want to see in the expansion, it's a topic worth continuing when that comes up.

Yeah, without working out the animation, I think it'll just look weird to have the walking animations apply to armed "combat characters", especially with movement speed-changing abilities.

That said, I think it is unlikely to make it into an expansion, because I don't think Sawyer even sees the issue at all (like so often). I remember someone trying to ask him about it and got a confused response involving the Slow-Mo/Speed-Up option(s). Wish I could find it now, though.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

And I'm saying there isn't a difference in how bad they are. One without the other sucks the same for different reasons. I was still disagreeing with you. So, no I didn't fail anything there, buddy. ;)

Ah, you only failed the Literacy roll. :p

t50aJUd.jpg

@Luckmann

They devs have been really active interacting with us, and if you pay attention to the "users reading this topic" you can often find devs perusing threads. I'm pretty confident when they ask about "Things we want in the expansion" they will seriously explore the most popular suggestions. If walk toggle is requested enough, and fits into the budget for implementation, it is quite plausible to see in the future.

• Like 2

One assumes now that we must simply request that this be added as a feature for patching, the expansion or whatever, as the game nears completion. Unless some gentleman or lady modder sees fit to intervene, in their wisdom.

It is possible. BioWare did it with DA:I - the game had no walk toggle on release, then some people modded it and finally the devs added this feature. You can walk now, yay!

• Like 2

I can't think of a single game where, if there was a walk and a run option given, I didn't have it on run, all the time. Or if it was stamina based, constantly be running until I ran out of stamina, then grumble about having to walk while stamina regenerated. I suppose I'm impatient. I mean, I love exploring and wandering, but I don't like doing it at a snail's pace, unless the area to be explored is a 20x20 house.

But I do think it's odd not to have a walk/run option, both.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I can't think of a single game where, if there was a walk and a run option given, I didn't have it on run, all the time. Or if it was stamina based, constantly be running until I ran out of stamina, then grumble about having to walk while stamina regenerated. I suppose I'm impatient. I mean, I love exploring and wandering, but I don't like doing it at a snail's pace, unless the area to be explored is a 20x20 house.

But I do think it's odd not to have a walk/run option, both.

I agree. If there's a run/walk toggle, there should also be a relevant difference. Given Sawyer's line of.. uh.. "thinking", I find it highly doubtful that walking will ever be anything other than a token feature made on principle by request.

By ever chosing to walk you'd really just be gimping yourself.

t50aJUd.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...