I always play male; can't immerse with the character/game using the opp gender. Also I select human for the same reason. Down the line playthroughs, rarely I be the elf; tho I make it look as humane as possible in character creation, then I rage at the game for not making it considerably different experience that I expected from being an elf.

• Like 1

As far as men are concernced, there are two patterns:

-those who play as males and think for the character as an imaginary-alternate version of themselves

-those who play as females to look at something attractive- sexy. The warrior woman theme appeals to a lot of men

The first category tends to role-play how themselves would react in certain senarios, the second tends to role-play their version of 'the perfect woman' :)

As a man, I can relate to both patterns:

When I play males, it's a reflection of an idealised me; when I create a female charactor, she reflects my ideal woman.

In Baldur's Gate 2

- my male char is a Fighter/Mage/Thief who plays as a Jack-of-all-trades and forward scout/backstabber (I don't see myself as a leader figure)

- my female char is an Undead Hunter who leads from the front (I also have female Ranger/Clerics and Swashbucklers; all are frontliners)

The last party-based RPG I played is Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall Director's Cut and I find my first 2 chars following similar ideas

- 1st is a female troll Physical Adept (ie. Monk), charging right into the fray and smashing faces

- 2nd is a male human Decker/Rigger, hiding in the rear end and sowing discord/distracting/flanking with drones (there's no combat stealth option  ;()

A bit more reflection suggests that my male characters lean towards intellectual/tactical roles as opposes to the charismatic/leadership positions taken by my female charactors.

Edited by SupidSeep

... and it took me a week of nothing but eating, gaming and sleeping to complete :p

I shall play a man! I shall name him man and he shall do manly things! He shall overcompensate for the fact that I am soon to be 30 and still can't grow a respectable beard!

Just be glad that you're blonde so the manly grey hairs won't show yet, manly Mr. Soon-to-be-thirty-without-beard.

Signed, dark haired Mr. Thirty-something-with-bearding-ability-but-visible-grey-hairs :/

(I think I was 18 when I first played Baldur's Gate... this game is fine for nostalgia, but it does make me feel old... )

*plans to roll a YOUNGER looking character*

• Like 1

Female.  Was rather insecure about it in the long, long ago that was the teenage years, but that has long since vanished. At some point it shifted over to exclusively female characters unless the female character models are terrible.   (or worse, non-existent) 

That said, I find most of racial models in this game to hideously ugly, so it is going to have to be female human or female elf.  

I shall play a man! I shall name him man and he shall do manly things! He shall overcompensate for the fact that I am soon to be 30 and still can't grow a respectable beard!

Just be glad that you're blonde so the manly grey hairs won't show yet, 

Speaking as a blonde who has been going grey since about 30, you'd be surprised.  Though admittedly my particular (and peculiar) hair ranges from 'dirty' to 'reddish' blonde, so it stands out a bit more.  

Edited by Voss

Usually male, but always have at least one female in the mix, sometimes end up with more females depending on the game.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

That said, I find most of racial models in this game to hideously ugly, so it is going to have to be female human or female elf.

When I see a statement like that, I become extraordinarily curious as to what you would find only moderately or mildly ugly, or even moderately pleasant-looking. I wonder where that line lies.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Using a female avatar obviously.

As for female players picking male characters there are three big things:

- If there is romance the male on male is always nice for eye candy. 

- Because they can look hot in tight pants.

- It is more easy to RP an evil character.

I find all races really well done overall when it comes to features and gender, although I am still waiting for the day that females of one race are bigger than the male equivalent. 

I find all races really well done overall when it comes to features and gender, although I am still waiting for the day that females of one race are bigger than the male equivalent. 

I find that point about it being easier to RP an evil characer interesting because as a guy I find it easier to play more 'morally ambiguous' or aggressive character when they are female.  Wonder if it's universal for both genders to find it easier to play evil characters when not of their own gender or if it's just me being weird...

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

First char is gonna be male, Human Barbarian named Kurn. It's pretty common start for any RPG for me. Though the 'human' part tends to change and Barbs aren't always available... ehh. Anyway, I usually play males but in single player stuff I tend to split it up. Females I make have a tendency to be based off characters I like. Mazzy, Viconia from BG2. Annah from PST... I always seem to make Annah when I  go to make a rogue lol. In Dragon's Dogma I made a buncha alternate accounts just to make/work on Annah and Imoen (mage healy) so I could bring them into my main games character who had made Viconia (as a fighter). Made was Kurn in DD as well heh.

Only exception I have to playing girls is if the games entirely online. I just wont make female characters (unless there is no option available). Always seems odd playing a girl online what with all the representation going on. But yeah single player relatively even split after awhile.

-edit-

Oh and on the topic of the other gender being easier to play evil.... not for me. I always have a horribly ****/evil male and female. I will say my male evils tend to be more comic book villian and my females tend to be crazy bitchs so there's some shift in the way the evils represented? But yeah gender has no effect on that for me. I like to RP a good bit of the scale.

Edited by Adhin

Def Con: kills owls dead

I find that point about it being easier to RP an evil characer interesting because as a guy I find it easier to play more 'morally ambiguous' or aggressive character when they are female.  Wonder if it's universal for both genders to find it easier to play evil characters when not of their own gender or if it's just me being weird...

I think it depend on the person but I heard that enough around my group of IRL friends and online to consider one of the biggest points. I think it is more easy to distant yourself if you identify less with the character.

It does not work with me but there is plenty of people that do that.

although I am still waiting for the day that females of one race are bigger than the male equivalent. 

Sentient spiders?

I'd play that.

Or hyenas and other animals really. I just like a good amount of unexpected. Still I am liking the CC of PoI overall, there is a lot worse out there.

although I am still waiting for the day that females of one race are bigger than the male equivalent. 

Sentient spiders?

I'd play that.

Or hyenas and other animals really. I just like a good amount of unexpected. Still I am liking the CC of PoI overall, there is a lot worse out there.

As largest mammals and same time largest animals in world are female blue whales I would say that it should not be that absurd that there would be fantasy/sci-fi races where females bigger than males or even that they are largest option that player can choose.

Male for the first playthrough probably, then female on the replay. Usually like to switch back and forth but first playthrough is usually male.

This is what I do too.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I never really know beforehand. I usually make up my mind while trying out all the options in the character generator. If at all, I only decide earlier which character to play in games I'm already familiar with. So, since I haven't played the backer beta, I'll just click through all the options to find out what I'll end up liking the most. Really looking forward to this.

I am not sure, although in the past years I have been playing a female character a lot more often than a male one... So it would probably be a female character. As such, could play male character too, but just haven't for a long time. And I am a female myself, so then where there is a choice I usually play as one.

... although I am still waiting for the day that females of one race are bigger than the male equivalent. 

Wood Elves in the Elder Scrolls, by 10% in Morrowind and Oblivion (in Skyrim, only very slightly).

---

First playthrough will be with a male Paladin called Galahad. While it wouldn't be my first choice of character today (and certainly not the name), it's kind of a tradition - I did the first run of BG, BG2, IWD, IWD2, and NWN1 with him. So I have to stick to it. :D

Edited by Varana
  • Like 2

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!