morality is something completelly subjective. everything in this world is made to balance itself out, so no matter how beneficial something may look to you it will be inevitably equally detrimental for someone else. also, it all works on double standards but most people simply cant or refuse to see it. when the activist against lab animals is sick, he takes medicine that was made with animal experimentation. the guy who makes a blog against the rapid advancement of technology on the internet, is using that advancement to its fullest every day and so on

so yes, idealists/paladins are people who have surrounded themselves with an illusion of perfect righteousness and refuse to accept the existence of  the other side of the coin

I guess that makes you kind of a "True Neutral" character, huh?  ;)

This statement is false.

Whichever has the most fashionable facial fungus.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Meh, for some reason I can't really enjoy playing as female characters... hard to immerse myself in that role, I guess :) So I always play male characters, but if I would roll the entire party myself, sure, I'd add some female too.

morality is something completelly subjective. everything in this world is made to balance itself out, so no matter how beneficial something may look to you it will be inevitably equally detrimental for someone else. also, it all works on double standards but most people simply cant or refuse to see it. when the activist against lab animals is sick, he takes medicine that was made with animal experimentation. the guy who makes a blog against the rapid advancement of technology on the internet, is using that advancement to its fullest every day and so on

so yes, idealists/paladins are people who have surrounded themselves with an illusion of perfect righteousness and refuse to accept the existence of  the other side of the coin

I guess that makes you kind of a "True Neutral" character, huh?  ;)

yep. 

anyway, George says it better in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilipDBclxRc

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

i practically model the first character i play in any RPG as myself

i have average at best strength but i am agile, with slightly above average intelligence and no charisma whatsoever, i dabble in a bit of everything but i have no patience to master anything, and im quite a cynical person who could not give less of an f about anything besides my personal gain... i consider paladins (or any idealist) in any shape and form to be the most hypocritic people, while i feel a little envious of the fact that they can willingly live in a blissful illusion (that i try to shatter at every chance)

Your character(s) think so about Paladins b/c they can't picture others doing stuff not for personal gain, which is a hard truth, but in a fantasy game one may dream :D

everyone does what he does for personal gain one way or the other. one type of modern day paladins are the soldiers of ISIS. do you think they have a higher just cause? the cause is just a hypocritical excuse their leaders (who do it for money and power) use. the average soldiers do what they do because they have been promished a place in heaven as a reward... the cause is an illusion to make the promise of reward more believable

a guy who does volunteer work, does it for self satisfaction. he does not feel like it is a duty of some sort that is forced upon him, he draws pleasure from it just like a masochist draws pleasure from pain (and if the volunteer is a rich guy, he probably does it for publicity)

Ok, I know it's off topic but I have to tackle this opinion because I feel very strongly about it.

So you're saying when I go volunteering and it makes me happy to help out other people, that is somehow a bad and selfish thing? Would it be somehow more genuine if I did it even though I thought it was a slog and it made me totally miserable? I understand the point you're trying to make. The problem is it's a bad point TO make, because it attempts to invalidate any act of kindness for the sake of bitter cynicism.

And in regards to taking pleasure in attempting to shatter the idealism of passionate, caring people for the sake of being 'right'...well, that's plain awful. It seems like you're trying to justify your own morality by projecting your negativity on those that possess traits you don't have.

• Like 3

My first character will be a Male Hearth Orlan Barbarian with Kana Rua and undecided VIP companions. Got tons of character concepts of both genders and all classes from playing the BB already as well for later playthroughs and AH.

i practically model the first character i play in any RPG as myself

i have average at best strength but i am agile, with slightly above average intelligence and no charisma whatsoever, i dabble in a bit of everything but i have no patience to master anything, and im quite a cynical person who could not give less of an f about anything besides my personal gain... i consider paladins (or any idealist) in any shape and form to be the most hypocritic people, while i feel a little envious of the fact that they can willingly live in a blissful illusion (that i try to shatter at every chance)

Your character(s) think so about Paladins b/c they can't picture others doing stuff not for personal gain, which is a hard truth, but in a fantasy game one may dream :D

everyone does what he does for personal gain one way or the other. one type of modern day paladins are the soldiers of ISIS. do you think they have a higher just cause? the cause is just a hypocritical excuse their leaders (who do it for money and power) use. the average soldiers do what they do because they have been promished a place in heaven as a reward... the cause is an illusion to make the promise of reward more believable

a guy who does volunteer work, does it for self satisfaction. he does not feel like it is a duty of some sort that is forced upon him, he draws pleasure from it just like a masochist draws pleasure from pain (and if the volunteer is a rich guy, he probably does it for publicity)

Ok, I know it's off topic but I have to tackle this opinion because I feel very strongly about it.

So you're saying when I go volunteering and it makes me happy to help out other people, that is somehow a bad and selfish thing? Would it be somehow more genuine if I did it even though I thought it was a slog and it made me totally miserable? I understand the point you're trying to make. The problem is it's a bad point TO make, because it attempts to invalidate any act of kindness for the sake of bitter cynicism.

And in regards to taking pleasure in attempting to shatter the idealism of passionate, caring people for the sake of being 'right'...well, that's plain awful. It seems like you're trying to justify your own morality by projecting your negativity on those that possess traits you don't have.

i did not say it is a bad thing, i say that there is self interest involved even in the most (seemingly) selfless action. if it did not make you happy you would not do it after all. in my case, i do the things i like doing just like everyone else, but i simply do not build an illusory sense of righteousness to deny the negative parts. to use a famous example, Batman vs Joker. Batman refuses adamantly to kill anyone, however think of how many innocents die each time Batman spares Joker's life. from the first time he met Joker and spared him, Batman is fully responsible for any and all people that were killed by Joker and his gang. however, having surrounded himself with an illusion of righteousness, he lives in full denial of what his actions' negative results are

also i do not judge actions as inherently good or bad. the best of actions can have the worst consequences and the most vile of deeds could lead to world peace. the universe in its entirety follows Newton's law "for every action there is an equal and oposite reaction", and any action can be called good or bad depending on the effect it has on each individual... and the effect varies from pure white to pitch black, passing through 50 shades of gray.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

95% of my playthroughs are with male characters. I rarely pick females, because being male myself I don't feel like RPing them so much. But sometimes its good to have a different perspective.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

As for alighment, my PoE female protagonist will start off as a somewhat indifferent, introvert person, the life of the mercenary having branded her being.

She won't be a brute but rather an all-around well-mannered person, very loyal to those she cares for- also there's an interesting woman to meet there, who knows good humour.

In most cases I can't play evil, it just doesn't feel right to me :p

My protagonists struggle to make the bestest good out of every situation, or what's right and judge based on their moral compass, often laying aside their personal needs.

It is possible my PoE girl turns out like that if the events of the main story drive her so, but she won't start out like that.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

For the most part, I've only played games with female leads for the last 10 years or so? The only exceptions are Fire Emblem games, Tales of games, Suikoden games, and (unfortunately) Obsidian's own Stick of Truth, which I bought during the Steam Winter Sale without checking.

I'm pretty sure it was Suikoden III that first got my mind fixed on female protagonists, I very much admired Chris and the achievement that a woman can get so much respect in 'a man's world'.

Chris is one of my fav characters from that era of games! I simply adored her, she was my fav female character for a long while. She got replaced by KOS-MOS eventually, but she's till in my top 10.

I finally settled on my first PoE character being a female Moon Godlike Wizard (former) Slave from Old Vailia. She'll spec in Shock and Freeze magic. I just need a good name for her and I'll be set.

Does a female character have alternative ways to finish quests?

Well, they should, from a simulationist approach, but I doubt Obsidian would dare it :p

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

I play as a male if there are some nice romances in the game otherwise always as female.

So female it is for PoE. :cat:

Well, i don't like romances in RPGs because i always like to play female characters (female-wizard always been my first character in every RPG), so everything feels so weird when some brave guy character starts flirting with my heroine :-P

Edited by Mazisky

Being male, I used to play exclusively as male characters. But when I first played Dragon Age: Origins, I found that playing as a female character was simply more interesting, because the game lacked any female characters that I liked, so it fell to me to create one.

In general, I prefer playing as characters who are as different from me as possible. Roleplaying as myself is just boring.

"There is no greatness where simplicity, goodness and truth are absent." - Leo Tolstoy

I usually decide when I'm doing character creation. What character idea appeals to me the most at that time. And I also restart a lot, so picking a dude or dudette for first go around may not mean anything in respect to who I finish with.

If I like a game enough I'll evenentually get to all the possible combinations around.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I am a male, but I usually play females when I have the option. (as you might have guessed by the avatar).

No particular reason, but I feel that sometimes it gives me some nice roleplay options. And I feel no need to play myself in a game, as I already have to play myself all day long  ;)

"Ah, we are all heroes: You and Boo and I... Hamsters and rangers everywhere REJOICE"