This.

Are you going to play a male or female on your first playthrough ? I almost always create characters in rpgs based on my fiance (you can check my signature for the theme of my first character)

Also I wonder how often the game will recognize gender, it will probably have a very minor effect on gameplay.

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

i practically model the first character i play in any RPG as myself

i have average at best strength  but i am agile, with slightly above average intelligence and no charisma whatsoever, i dabble in a bit of everything but i have no patience to master anything, and im quite a cynical person who could not give less of an f about anything besides my personal gain... i consider paladins (or any idealist) in any shape and form to be the most hypocritic people, while i feel a little envious of the fact that they can willingly live in a blissful illusion (that i try to shatter at every chance)

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I am a male, therefore I usually play male characters.  Unless I am playing a game where I am an elf and it is one of those games where the elf guys look like girls too cause if I am going to have to look like a chick regardless I am going to go ahead and make my character one :p.

• Like 1

i have average at best strength but i am agile, with slightly above average intelligence and no charisma whatsoever, i dabble in a bit of everything but i have no patience to master anything, and im quite a cynical person who could not give less of an f about anything besides my personal gain... i consider paladins (or any idealist) in any shape and form to be the most hypocritic people, while i feel a little envious of the fact that they can willingly live in a blissful illusion (that i try to shatter at every chance)

Your character(s) think so about Paladins b/c they can't picture others doing stuff not for personal gain, which is a hard truth, but in a fantasy game one may dream :D

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

I usually start with a male character, and I make him look somewhat like myself, if I can. More "he just looks like an Elven wizard, but I threw in a sprinkle of my own features" and "this is what I'd want to look like if I were an Elven Wizard." Then, If I do a second playthrough, I pretty much always go with a female character.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'm male but always play females. I guess that if I'm going to be watching an avatar for hours at a time, I'd like a pretty avatar.

That makes the romance a little awkward of course, but IMHO, romance in video games is usually not very interesting, so it's not a big deal.

As far as men are concernced, there are two patterns:

-those who play as males and think for the character as an imaginary-alternate version of themselves

-those who play as females to look at something attractive- sexy. The warrior woman theme appeals to a lot of men

The first category tends to role-play how themselves would react in certain senarios, the second tends to role-play their version of 'the perfect woman' :)

• Like 4

As a male I usually play a male character first, mostly just because, well, I'm male and tend to identify better with it (though race, class etc. tend to vary quite a bit game-to-game for me). That said, I almost always make female characters when replaying RPGs as well, and party-based games usually end up with an even male/female split.

Sometimes I like to make a party with versions of friends of mine in starring roles, too, which can be fun for coming up with character concepts.

Edited by sea
  • Like 1

Great  question, I always play a male character as I can relate to them and I tend to immerse  myself in the RP aspect of the game. In other words I always consider my choices the game offers me and what the consequences are. 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm not sure. It depends on what character concept I have in mind at the time, the portraits I have on hand that might fit that concept, and whim of the moment. The problems that occasionally keep me from playing female characters in games (silly armour, voice acting that's annoying to me or doesn't fit the concept I'm thinking of) aren't going to be a problem here, so for that reason female is slightly more likely than male.

Of course, I am planning on making heavy use of the Adventurer's Hall, so whichever one my main character is, I'll certainly have at least one or two characters eventually who are the other as well.

knightofchaoss.jpg

For the most part, I've only played games with female leads for the last 10 years or so? The only exceptions are Fire Emblem games, Tales of games, Suikoden games, and (unfortunately) Obsidian's own Stick of Truth, which I bought during the Steam Winter Sale without checking. 

Edited by Lillyhime

I'm almost always a male when I play (and in reality, too!) and I don't see that changing any time soon. That said, there'll probably be a female playthrough somewhere down the line. It's usually not terribly relevant in games these days, unfortunately.

t50aJUd.jpg

i have average at best strength but i am agile, with slightly above average intelligence and no charisma whatsoever, i dabble in a bit of everything but i have no patience to master anything, and im quite a cynical person who could not give less of an f about anything besides my personal gain... i consider paladins (or any idealist) in any shape and form to be the most hypocritic people, while i feel a little envious of the fact that they can willingly live in a blissful illusion (that i try to shatter at every chance)

Your character(s) think so about Paladins b/c they can't picture others doing stuff not for personal gain, which is a hard truth, but in a fantasy game one may dream :D

everyone does what he does for personal gain one way or the other. one type of modern day paladins are the soldiers of ISIS. do you think they have a higher just cause? the cause is just a hypocritical excuse their leaders (who do it for money and power) use. the average soldiers do what they do because they have been promished a place in heaven as a reward... the cause is an illusion to make the promise of reward more believable

a guy who does volunteer work, does it for self satisfaction. he does not feel like it is a duty of some sort that is forced upon him, he draws pleasure from it just like a masochist draws pleasure from pain (and if the volunteer is a rich guy, he probably does it for publicity)

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

everyone does what he does for personal gain one way or the other. [...]

That's not a very falsifiable statement. Sounds to me like you're just making an excuse not to grapple with your own morality. And, hey, maybe RPG character creation isn't the place to be struggling with such concepts.  :devil:

---

Personally, I try to come up with some kind of quirky and unique character concepts regardless of sex. Typically anti-heroic and vaguely pathetic.

Failing that I'll usually go with a generic tough chick character - if you're gonna be generic, then you might as well look good doing it...

• Like 1

This statement is false.

If it's a Bioware, a male first.

Because I do not like romancing men.

If it's Bethesda, a female.

Because if I'm going to spend 100hrs looking at a butt,

it might as well be a female one.

In PoE, I'll have a male character.

Because a new game takes orienting enough already and being a male comes more natural to me.

For the most part, I've only played games with female leads for the last 10 years or so? The only exceptions are Fire Emblem games, Tales of games, Suikoden games, and (unfortunately) Obsidian's own Stick of Truth, which I bought during the Steam Winter Sale without checking.

I'm pretty sure it was Suikoden III that first got my mind fixed on female protagonists, I very much admired Chris and the achievement that a woman can get so much respect in 'a man's world'.

• Like 1

everyone does what he does for personal gain one way or the other. [...]

That's not a very falsifiable statement. Sounds to me like you're just making an excuse not to grapple with your own morality. And, hey, maybe RPG character creation isn't the place to be struggling with such concepts.  :devil:

---

Personally, I try to come up with some kind of quirky and unique character concepts regardless of sex. Typically anti-heroic and vaguely pathetic.

Failing that I'll usually go with a generic tough chick character - if you're gonna be generic, then you might as well look good doing it...

morality is something completelly subjective. everything in this world is made to balance itself out, so no matter how beneficial something may look to you it will be inevitably equally detrimental for someone else. also, it all works on double standards but most people simply cant or refuse to see it. when the activist against lab animals is sick, he takes medicine that was made with animal experimentation. the guy who makes a blog against the rapid advancement of technology on the internet, is using that advancement to its fullest every day and so on

so yes, idealists/paladins are people who have surrounded themselves with an illusion of perfect righteousness and refuse to accept the existence of  the other side of the coin

-Teknoman2-