Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Build Thread 2.0

• Please log in to reply
578 replies to this topic

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5135 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

i will buy some but living out in the sticks it will probably take some time to get here

I'm a fan of Kryonaut and use it almost exclusively (except for when I use Conductonaut because when you're repasting laptops sometimes it's worth using Liquid Metal).

*Snip*

That's a known eGPU method and I've seen enough people use it successfully that it might be worth a try even though it likely doesn't have a 100% success rate and you will be loosing the wireless card.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
Recently transferred my 1080ti to the Bulldog living room pc (right side). Great for VR, and no compromises 4K gaming (unlike Xbox One X’s variable resolutions)

5a8747b7-55ff-4dce-brsumb.jpeg

Box has zero cable management features, but since it has no window then I guess it’s ok

4ecfa377-2f17-4d25-9sout3.jpeg

Specs:
1080ti Seahawk
i7 7700K
Z270 ITX
32GB RAM
1TB SSD
4TB HDD
600w PSU
75” 4K HDR TV
  • Deadly_Nightshade likes this

Azdeus

Azdeus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 717 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

I'm seriously pissed at all the bitcoin mining going on. It's making it pretty ****ing annoying when you're (STILL! >_< ) in the market for a bleeding gpu...

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1764 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Yep. Don't expect it to let up much at this rate, either.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4781 posts

Anybody else finding bitcoin modules plugged in and hidden away at work. 

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1918 posts

Think of this way, when the bitcoin market crashes and it will, the second hand gpus will be dirt cheap and the new ones will be heavily discounted.

Azdeus

Azdeus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 717 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

Think of this way, when the bitcoin market crashes and it will, the second hand gpus will be dirt cheap and the new ones will be heavily discounted.

If it does. It's not unlikely someone starts some different bitcoin thing and the mining starts again.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1918 posts

I mean there already are different mining "things" like ethereum, but bitcoin crashing would pull the whole thing down.

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5135 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm seriously pissed at all the bitcoin mining going on. It's making it pretty ****ing annoying when you're (STILL! >_< ) in the market for a bleeding gpu...

You might want to consider getting a pre-built, tearing the GPU out of it, and then selling the bits you don't need.

EVGA is also releasing cards on their site at retail pricing although they usually sell out within a few minutes of going up.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3346 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hidey ho!

My desktop has finally **** its last bed and I'm looking for any advice on putting together something new as I have not kept up with hardware in some time.

My budget is fairly modest as I have a few things going on right now that are limiting what I can afford so I'm really looking for good performance for a good price rather than just going crazy with the new hotness. 1300 quatloos is probably my max

Thanks in advance unless you're some kind of time traveler or being that exists outside of time

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1918 posts

Hidey ho!

My desktop has finally **** its last bed and I'm looking for any advice on putting together something new as I have not kept up with hardware in some time.

My budget is fairly modest as I have a few things going on right now that are limiting what I can afford so I'm really looking for good performance for a good price rather than just going crazy with the new hotness. 1300 quatloos is probably my max

Thanks in advance unless you're some kind of time traveler or being that exists outside of time

https://www.guru3d.c...rs-guide,1.html

• ShadySands and Malcador like this

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9162 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Oh, that's a nice link, thank you. I know what processor and GPU I want but sometimes all the other stuff is "I have no idea." I'm going to try to slowly order parts to have something built by the end of March (famous last words but..). I'd fall in the mostly-overkill category I guess. Worst part for me is it may be the first time I buy most things online, it's just the way it is now. Hate it (I like being able to return/exchange things the same day if need be etc) but, sigh.

Anyway, I'm wondering, "everyone" always recommends what appears to be liquid cooling units for the i9-9900k. Does it really need that, if one isn't going to overclock? I know they don't come with any cooling thingie when you buy it, it's just the chip ... but would one of the popular non-liquid coolers still be fine or does it really run that hot? Still not sure I want to deal with liquid cooling, since I've never used it before/have no clue. I dunno. :/

Edit: talking to hubby he thinks I should go for the liquid cooling this time I guess....

Edited by LadyCrimson, 19 February 2019 - 09:44 PM.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1764 posts

I mean, if a processor *requires* liquid cooling to cool adequately, it's more likely that I'll just get a different processor than go along with it.

@ShadySands: Probably need some kind of specifics you want to be able to recommend anything.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1918 posts

Oh, that's a nice link, thank you. I know what processor and GPU I want but sometimes all the other stuff is "I have no idea." I'm going to try to slowly order parts to have something built by the end of March (famous last words but..). I'd fall in the mostly-overkill category I guess. Worst part for me is it may be the first time I buy most things online, it's just the way it is now. Hate it (I like being able to return/exchange things the same day if need be etc) but, sigh.

Anyway, I'm wondering, "everyone" always recommends what appears to be liquid cooling units for the i9-9900k. Does it really need that, if one isn't going to overclock? I know they don't come with any cooling thingie when you buy it, it's just the chip ... but would one of the popular non-liquid coolers still be fine or does it really run that hot? Still not sure I want to deal with liquid cooling, since I've never used it before/have no clue. I dunno. :/

Edit: talking to hubby he thinks I should go for the liquid cooling this time I guess....

You can grab the tower coolers too, I think, if you don't plan to overclock. They do an adequate job, but require a big enough case and can sometimes interfere with the high profile ram sticks.

I personally cool my 5820k with Noctua NH-D15, and it keeps it 30 and below on idle. I tried AIO watercooling (some CM 280) on it and it was noisy and believe it or not performed worse, albeit slightly, than the Noctua.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Anyway, I'm wondering, "everyone" always recommends what appears to be liquid cooling units for the i9-9900k. Does it really need that, if one isn't going to overclock?

It will perform at its rated TDP (more or less) if you aren't overclocking and most decent conventional aftermarket coolers like the 212/ H7 will deal with a default 95W just fine. That will impact performance though, the 95W rating doesn't include the built in turbo so with poor cooling you may not (won't, practically) even hit the built in turbo speeds consistently. Pretty much all reviews are also done with high performance cooling even if they aren't doing an overclocking test and its strong benchmarking is predicated on hitting boost speeds. There isn't much point spending the premium on a 9900k and having it sit at 3.6 Ghz if you're doing something that takes more than 30s.

IIRC under load it's a 200W chip at default settings on a 390 motherboard rather than a 95W chip, which gives an idea of the level of cooling needed to get full performance.

I mean, if a processor *requires* liquid cooling to cool adequately, it's more likely that I'll just get a different processor than go along with it.

@ShadySands: Probably need some kind of specifics you want to be able to recommend anything.

Whether the 1300 includes budget for a monitor/ OS or not is a big consideration too.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3346 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
No specifics really, going to keep using my 1080 monitors for a while longer and OS is not an issue either. Was leaning AMD CPU/GPU because it seems generally cheaper but I have no preferences.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1764 posts

Something like this, I guess?: https://pcpartpicker...hr/saved/7M9V6h

Pay $30 more for the Ryzen 5 2600X CPU, pay like $50 less to drop down to a 1070 TI GPU, pay a heck of a lot more to go up to either a 1080 TI or 2080 GPU. Depending on what you do with your PC, Intel might still be a better choice (e.g. if all you do is game, then getting a CPU with 12 good threads is probably not as effective as getting a CPU with 6 fantastic threads, etc.). As it is, you'd have a few hundred dollars left for SSDs and miscellania too.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 20 February 2019 - 07:28 PM.

• ShadySands likes this

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd basically recommend going similar to the medium build from Sarex's guru3d article.

R5 2600- can go 2600x for the better cooler and automatic overclocking, probably not worth it tho

B450 Tomahawk*

16GB DDR4 RAM (3000MHz+, any reputable brand on the QVL. Don't bother with B die, not worth the premium)

RX 580** (fine for 1080p/60Hz, assuming 60Hz. Think they have a pretty good game bundle with them too at the moment)

550W or higher modular/ gold PSU (any decent quality unit like EVGA G series or recent Corsair CXM, check out a PSU tier list if in doubt)

Crucial MX500 SSD

That would be a fair bit under budget, I'd put any leftovers towards a monitor/ GPU upgrade later on.

*X470 if you need the features, but a Tomahawk's specs are as good as or better than most cheap x470s. MSI has done an excellent job with their 400 series boards.

**IMO the GPU market is pretty meh at the moment, so I'd tend to recommend a cheaper card rather than an overkill card especially since RTX is still at meme level adoption/ performance. nVidia's 1660 is also close to release and may be worth consideration. If a monitor upgrade is likely within a year a 2060/70/80 (or Vega 56/64 if you don't mind tinkering, they require a good quality 550W+ PSU though) should be considered, depending on resolution.

• Azdeus likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1764 posts

Yeah, wasn't sure what to do with the GPU, since he said he was only going with a 1080 monitor, but I thought he might eventually upgrade those.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There are good arguments for both with the 20 series being new releases, but unfortunately it also doesn't represent much of a price/ performance shift and there aren't enough raytraced games to be worth it for 1080p RTX gaming, so...

The logic is that GPUs typically improve a lot in price/ performance and you're usually better off getting the monitor first then the GPU to go with it rather than the reverse. Despite price performance not shifting much over the past two years I think it's likely to shift a decent amount over the next year or so with Navi and a shift to 7nm, and the $200 saved getting a 580 instead of a 2070 class card will go a lot further in a year.

• Bartimaeus and Azdeus like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users