Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Build Thread 2.0

• Please log in to reply
528 replies to this topic

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4694 posts

When you say 'high' settings how close is that to a stable 60fps. 

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6442 posts
The 1070 should do 40 fps average on current games' ultra settings in 4K. Bringing things down a notch to high settings should possibly net you 50-60 fps, which is in playable ballpark for me.

The 980ti was my go to 4K card for a year or so, and the 1070 is 30% faster than that (on paper at least)

Here are some benches for reference

http://www.tomshardw...nce,4585-3.html

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4694 posts

If I stay with 4k and a 60hz screen for a long time, which is likely (I might get a 144 hz monotor for gaming but that will just be HD) I won't gain anything more once I have a stable 60 fps. 

Does the 1080 make sense in that context.

Maybe 1070 SLI and I get the second card when it has dropped in price. 

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4694 posts

So yeah, Monitor is absolutely gorgeous. Doesn't scale well though. Gonna get a 1070. 

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6442 posts
Get the 1070, should last you 2 years. And don't worry about achieving 60 fps in 4K. Now my Titan XP is starting to slow down a bit in Titanfall 2 maxed 4K

Edited by Bokishi, 30 October 2016 - 08:49 AM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4694 posts

Since using the new monitor with displayport I discovered that I get a sharp static shock when I touch the computer cabinet and the radiator at the same time, it builds up instantly too. If I lift my finger from the case after the charge has dissipated and put it down again I get another one. a frequent occurence since I like to rest my feet on the radiator.

I noticed that the power cord for the monitor doesn't have the usual three prongs where one is earth I think. Not really sure if that relevant for static and whether that even works with Danish power fittings and in any case shouldn't I be using the power cable that came with the monitor. I have extra three pronged ones though. 

I'm about to change out both my gfx for the new 1070, the displayport cable for a shorter one which also came with the monitor and the power cord. Really hope that makes a difference. 

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4694 posts

mmm

Maybe it's me and I'm generating the static with my chair which rolls around on a small bit of carpet. It's stopped now anyway and I didn't do anything.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4694 posts

I wonder what the point of the anti static bits of plastic wristband in the package is. You would want to ground yourself, by touching the ratiator for instance, before installation, not rely on bit of plastic. 

• Azdeus likes this

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4694 posts
So. Don't actually have a spare 12v 8 pin connector. The one I thought was one says 'cpu' and is, something else. Good thing it didn't go in or I would have fried everything.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4694 posts
Wait. I see a dangling 2 pin connector connected to the 6 pin. What else could it be for.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3832 posts

Yeah that's how 8 pin connectors are.

Azdeus

Azdeus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

Anyone here that has any experience with watercooling kits that you can buy? The small ones focused on just processor cooling that comes in closed kits. (Corsair Hydro, be quiet!, Coolermaster Neptune et.c.)

Are they worth the money, or should one buy a builder kit instead? How noisy do they turn out to be in real life terms?

I've got no experience with either of those systems, but I can't afford to upgrade my computer at the moment and I need to get some better cooling for my old processor.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1893 posts

Anyone here that has any experience with watercooling kits that you can buy? The small ones focused on just processor cooling that comes in closed kits. (Corsair Hydro, be quiet!, Coolermaster Neptune et.c.)

Are they worth the money, or should one buy a builder kit instead? How noisy do they turn out to be in real life terms?

I've got no experience with either of those systems, but I can't afford to upgrade my computer at the moment and I need to get some better cooling for my old processor.

I made a post here a while back on my experience with Cooler Master 280L. The take away was that it provided similar cooling to my Noctua nhd-15 and that it was louder (the pump whine was noticeable).

While I have never tired these I would recommend them as I have heard only good things about them:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/aio/predator

There are also kits on the site if you want to go down that route.

• Azdeus likes this

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3832 posts

If you can't afford to upgrade your PC, it's strikes me that a CPU cooler is probably one of the lowest priorities you could have. What are you hoping to gain from the exercise? The performance gains (from overclocking) will be minimal and most games aren't CPU-bound anyway. The money would likely be better put towards something else, or saved for a larger future upgrade.

• Bartimaeus and Sarex like this

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4694 posts

My sense is that those all in one enclosed coolers aren't all that good. Water offers the best cooling performance but possibly at the cost of headaces you don't need. I'd go for beefy air cooling personally.  They make more noise than many air coolers too by virtue of  smaller fast reving fans being more effective for a radiator. 

Azdeus

Azdeus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 674 posts

I made a post here a while back on my experience with Cooler Master 280L. The take away was that it provided similar cooling to my Noctua nhd-15 and that it was louder (the pump whine was noticeable).

While I have never tired these I would recommend them as I have heard only good things about them:
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/aio/predator

There are also kits on the site if you want to go down that route.

Those kits look interesting, don't think my local supplier has those models available, but I'll have to consider them anyway. If shipping is'nt going to cost me a fortune atleast.

That NHD-15 is huge. Since I live in an old house with wooden floorboards, the flexing in the floor when I walk around would be a concern. It's one of the reasons why I'm looking at water cooled options. :)

If you can't afford to upgrade your PC, it's strikes me that a CPU cooler is probably one of the lowest priorities you could have. What are you hoping to gain from the exercise? The performance gains (from overclocking) will be minimal and most games aren't CPU-bound anyway. The money would likely be better put towards something else, or saved for a larger future upgrade.

Since I'm going for a different socket, I can't upgrade the CPU, more RAM is'nt going to help, and my GPU (Radeon HD7950) is already strangled by my processor (An Phenom II X4 955 BE). I intend to use the cooling for my new computer anyway, so it's not any real loss, but I should gain some performance in the mean time from getting any increased performance from just being able to fully utilize my CPU or overclocking it.

My sense is that those all in one enclosed coolers aren't all that good. Water offers the best cooling performance but possibly at the cost of headaces you don't need. I'd go for beefy air cooling personally.  They make more noise than many air coolers too by virtue of  smaller fast reving fans being more effective for a radiator. 

I would probably exchange the fans if that were the case, all I've looked at so far have had the possibility of changing them.

What would those headaches be? Besides changing the fluids.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4694 posts

Well with an all in one like that one probably not much. Know a guy who got one. Seemed happy with it. Although I didn't see the point of the extra expense since he wasn't overclocking. 

The plate can be changed to fit any socket ?

Azdeus

Azdeus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 674 posts

Well with an all in one like that one probably not much. Know a guy who got one. Seemed happy with it. Although I didn't see the point of the extra expense since he wasn't overclocking. 

The plate can be changed to fit any socket ?

Ah,well all the ones I've looked at they list compatibility with essentially all sockets. AM2/3 to Intels 1151 and whatnot, it's been a few years since I had socket variations 100% down. ;)

Overclockings is probably something I will have to go for, wether I like it or not. But my 7 or so year old stock AMD cooler is'nt up to muster for that. ^^

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1754 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Seagate 1000GB:

Reallocated Sector Count: 1

Well, it had a good run. Nearly ten years of usage, 50688 hours (2112 days / approaching 6 years) of being powered on, nearly 3000 starts/stops...not bad for a crappy Seagate drive manufactured during the darkest days of Seagates' manufacturing process. Good thing I was already in the process of making a complete backup...

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8528 posts

My Western Digital reached almost exactly half of that before crapping out on me. I'm using a Hitachi now since I've never had to change a Hitachi because of errors, only because of a need for more space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users