Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Build Thread 2.0

• Please log in to reply
528 replies to this topic

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

2 weeks late but the converter is finally here. i will install the card later and let's hope the converter works and i don't end up having to go look for another 

EDIT

IT WOOOOOOOORRRRRRRKKKKSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

i can finally use my new card

Edited by teknoman2, 13 October 2016 - 05:08 AM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4606 posts

Soo, my endless monitor buying woes continue.

This is my current candidate. Decided I would rather have increased quality over size. 

http://www.benq.com/...onitor/bl3201pt

Pros

It's 32', it has full swivel and nice build quality. 10 bit colour capable

Cons

It's expensive and old(ish). the HDMI are 1.4, so no 60hrz which kinda defeats the purpose of having them. 

Have no idea what I'm going to do GPUwise. I wouldn't go higher than a GTX1070. Maybe I just keep my 1080p hooked up for gaming if the Benq doesn't scale down very well. 

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6417 posts

1070 can do 4K on high settings

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4606 posts

Could go 27-28' that would pay for the 1080 right there, but there is still windows scaling to worry about. I use one or two older programs and from what I understand it's still very hit and miss how well they do.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4606 posts

I bought the Benq. Damn that was like pulling teeth.

lotta money.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6417 posts

I know that feeling...

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4606 posts

So what gtx 1070. Quiet is good. 

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6417 posts

I'm obligated to say Zotac

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4606 posts

what because it's in your contract now :p

• Bokishi likes this

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1851 posts

So what gtx 1070. Quiet is good. 

Asus. The fan doesn't turn on unless the card is over 60C or so.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4606 posts

Well neither does my current card, it's still really noisy at load. I could just buy the cheapest I can find and put a custom cooler on it but my CPU cooler makes the top PCI slot a difficult fit, the lower slot, which I'm using now, is not ideal for airflow. There are too many cables with thick insulation near the exhaust that I can't reroute. I'm sure that's part of my problem.

Really I just need the card to not go very far above 60c at load and most 1070 fortunately dont. MSI and Asus (probably more) have versions with three fans rather than two and slightly overclocked ram. I could dial that back a bit and if I'm lucky that will  be the sweet spot. 

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4606 posts

If this is true, and noise claims are always a bit unreliable, I should be golden.

https://www.techpowe...aming_X/23.html

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3892 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Guys: Yes or No?
https://www.inet.se/...-gtx-1080#specs

I have no idea what's good or not. Haven't been keeping up for the past 3-4 years.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4606 posts

1070 is probably best performance vs price. Diminishing returns start with the 1080.  If you are happy to game in HD for the foreseeable future the don't get anything more than an RX 470. That's like half the cost of a 1070.

• Labadal likes this

Labadal

Labadal

• Members
  • 3892 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

1070 is probably best performance vs price. Diminishing returns start with the 1080. If you are happy to game in HD for the foreseeable future the don't get anything more than an RX 470. That's like half the cost of a 1070.

Good to know. What I want is a computer that I don't have to tinker with for a few years.

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2171 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Guys: Yes or No?
https://www.inet.se/...-gtx-1080#specs

I have no idea what's good or not. Haven't been keeping up for the past 3-4 years.

It's got some nice components in there for sure. But I think 250gb ssd is a bit on the small side (I know it has a 3gb normal drive, but you want games on the SSD and they can take up some space).

I also don't like it only having 16gb of RAM. With a build that high end, it really should have 32gb.

Also, that case is hideous...

Now that being said, they're not overcharging for the parts by a lot, so it's not a terrible buy from that perspective. They do include some parts that I would leave out (Windows license, optical drive, 3gb normal drive), so it's possible to get the same performance for less.

So is it worth it? The components are good and mirror fairly well what I'd get myself if I were to build a new system. But the 1070 is a more price efficient buy than the 1080, so if budget is a concern I'd look for something including that.

Also note, Inet has the option to build a computer from custom chosen parts (for 800sek I believe), giving you the option to customize a bit more if you don't want to put it together yourself. If you don't mind assembling yourself, there are cheaper versions of the 1080 out there (by almost 1000 SEK) compared to what Inet sells, so there is money to be saved there as well.

• Labadal likes this

Labadal

Labadal

• Members
  • 3892 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Thanks!

I actually went through with the purchase. I know I could have gotten it cheaper and all that, but the lazy part of me went with convenience this time.

My brother wants a custom built PC in a few months, so we'll probably use that option for him.

I mostly use inet because they have always been good with service and other stuff. The same goes for some of my friends.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4606 posts

I'm vacillating on the 1070. I mean it can do 4k, but for a 4k gaming card it doesn't seem like it will last me that long. I'm gonna wait and see if the Benq scales well. 

What's next in the upcomming GPU offerings ?

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2171 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well, Nvidia will release the 1080 ti early next year. Rumors says it'll have performance similar to the current Titan, but at a lower price.

It'll still probably cost an arm and a leg.

AMD are also releasing their new top of the line cards "Vega" sometime next year. I believe first quarter, but there's no definite date. It's a new architecture, so much harder to speculate on performance there, unfortunately.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6417 posts
Like I said, 1070 can do 4K at high settings... but not ultra extreme settings. The current 4K champ is the Titan X Pascal, it crushes every new game in 4K ultra settings. Many new games are even playable on that card in 8K DSR, although it can get a bit laggy in some areas. 1080 ti should match it performance wise, as would Vega hopefully

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users