Build Thread 2.0

samm

Well, at least it's finally done. Did finally get the stupid KVM switchbox to work but it seems finicky with KB/mouse. I'll have to use it a week or so and see if it remains stable.

Speaking of wire management, the case was fairly good with that but the amount of wires in and out of the switchbox all over the desk etc. is a hellish nightmare and that's only a 2-port. I may not be all that picky about such but I'll have to figure out something to at least make it a bit more manageable. :p

pc-005.jpg

I still really dislike RGB/neon so I'm glad any of that forced on me is barely visible from my deskchair. The Gigabyte BIOS menus really aren't that bad, just different/have to learn them.

pc-002.jpg

• Like 6
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Not a bad rig. When I built my ITX I was thinking about an RTX card, but the prices.. Even if I can afford it, I would feel so ripped off.

Can't wait for AMD to get back in the game so Nvidia gets some high-end competition again.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

When I built my ITX I was thinking about an RTX card, but the prices.. Even if I can afford it, I would feel so ripped off.

Yeah, I totally get that. I just reach a point where my thought process ends up like "I'm already spending an extravagant amount what's another few hundred on something that hopefully will last many years".  I'll skip the next gpu generation just like I skipped 10xx. Might even skip two generations, the way my gaming habits have become.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Can someone recommend me a good UPS? My CyberPower something or other has **** the bed on me for the last time so I'm ready to just replace it rather than keep dealing with support

Edited by ShadySands
NVM just bought something

Free games updated 3/4/21

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2019 at 9:29 PM, ShadySands said:

Can someone recommend me a good UPS? My CyberPower something or other has **** the bed on me for the last time so I'm ready to just replace it rather than keep dealing with support

Aww, saw your edit. But I still want to recommend the Seasonic Focus+ Platinum line of PSU's. I mean, it's just a PSU but it's still an amazing piece of tech. Completely silent until needed, small form factor (relatively) and powerful (mine is 750W). Kind of costly but worth it, in my opinion. It's called the Seasonic SSR-750PX

Review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html#section-best-psu-up-to-750-watts

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 2 weeks later...

Told myself I wouldn't do this so early but I caved and bought a Radeon RX 5700, a Core i5-9600k and 8 more GiGs of ram.  The good news is that these should hold me off for at least a year and a half and with a new PSU installed I can upgrade on the fly. 

Hey, at least gaming isn't expensive as automobile junkies!

• 1 month later...

I'm planing to do a whole new desktop this year targeting 4K, mainly for Cyberpunk 2077. The thing is, I have my heart set on a Ryzen 4xxx and that won't be out by April. Rather than cave and buy a Ryzen 3xxx, I'll likely just hold off on Cyberpunk until whenever the new Ryzens come out... likely October-ish. By then, hopefully, Navi21 and RTX3xxx cards will be out too. I'd love to do a full Team Red build, but I'll evaluate that once the nexy gen of GPUs are out.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Team Cyan (Intel, Nvidia) is the safe bet, but I am also curious to see what AMD throws out there.  I maintain that they should laser focus on 4k 75hz performance, it's the only chance they have of standing up to Nvidia's Ampere.

Done much tinkering since November 17 and slapped a RTX 2080 Super in there, installed a 2tb SSD , and overclocked my core i5 9600k to a reasonably stable 5.3 ghz.  

Should hold me off until Spring.

1 hour ago, AwesomeOcelot said:

I was under the impression AMD pretty much ****s all over Intel right now 

For gaming, Intel is still tops, albeit by the slimmest of margins. For nearly everything else, AMD is indeed king.

I fully expect Ryzen 4xxx to be the king of gaming too. Intel has steadily lost ground in every category they used to dominate in with every new iteration of Zen and Core processors. I don't expect that to change because Core is such an archaic platform at this point. It was phenomenal when it came out and had a fantastic run, but it doesn't scale nearly as well as Zen. I'm sure Intel has a new architecture in the works, but until that sees the light of day they are plugging holes in a sinking ship.

Heck, Intel doesn't even have the lead in process node technology they held since the beginning of time anymore.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That will probably have reversed if you're buying after Zen3 is out though, per below.

32 minutes ago, AwesomeOcelot said:

I was under the impression AMD pretty much ****s all over Intel right now and in the short term. Look at price brackets. Include MoBo prices and it looks even worse. So much that enthusiast sales are heavily biased towards Zen 2.

Given the number of security problems Intel has it's certainly difficult to label them as the 'safe' option. I'd also add cooling and their constant socket changes to Intel's costs, generational upgrades require a new mobo and to get the better performance out of a k series you have to buy a good cooler. To be fair, Zen3 will probably be the last Zen on AM4 too, but that is after a good run.

There is meant to be a significant price cut with whatever lake (comet?) the 10000 series is and they are meant to have HT turned on which should make Intel at least a bit better price/ performance wise, and at least against the 3000 series. OTOH IPC is actually meant to have regressed slightly but measurably due to security mitigations which is likely to counter any marginal overclocking increases while Zen3 is meant to have a decent IPC increase and should have a small frequency boost too if history is any guide.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

For gaming, Intel is still tops, albeit by the slimmest of margins. For nearly everything else, AMD is indeed king.

I fully expect Ryzen 4xxx to be the king of gaming too. Intel has steadily lost ground in every category they used to dominate in with every new iteration of Zen and Core processors. I don't expect that to change because Core is such an archaic platform at this point. It was phenomenal when it came out and had a fantastic run, but it doesn't scale nearly as well as Zen. I'm sure Intel has a new architecture in the works, but until that sees the light of day they are plugging holes in a sinking ship.

Heck, Intel doesn't even have the lead in process node technology they held since the beginning of time anymore.

Which is why I'd like to see AMD pull out a flagship GPU that can hold its own against nVdia.  Until that happens, meh, Intel is still great for gaming (The CPU being of secondary importance anyway).

I have tons of fun with overclocking Intel CPU's, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind just installing a stock cooler and a monster card and letting it fly.

I suppose turning Yellow is an option (AMD, Nvidia) but it doesn't strike me as very appropriate.

48 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Only where Intel has no competition, the 9900K, which is £445, Price/performance wise I think the Zen 2 line-up matches Intel in gaming but how much of difference does that acually make compared to the GPU anyway. It's about 10% difference in price, about 10% difference in average frames. If you get a r5 3600 with B450 MoBo for £60 less than a i5 9600 and z370 Mobo. That's more like 20% price difference. At least that seems to be the state of play in the UK.

You'd expect Intel to respond this year. Also their GPU might shake up the market, but that's probably more than a year away.

It might eventually, if Intel sticks with it. Drivers and no (? presumably, certainly the AMD agreement is CPU only) patent cross licensing is going to be a big problem. Larrabee was surprisingly decent but it was a fair while ago now. They do have a lot of talent working on them and unlike at AMD Raja is likely to be well funded. It's a pretty awful time for Intel to be trying to launch non core products though, since their fabs are a mess.

• Like 2