Build Thread 2.0

samm

Ok so this is the list I/hubby have come up with. Anything "wrong" with it? :p

=======================================

CPU: i9-9900k 8 core
CPU Cooler: Hydro Series H100i PRO

GPU: EVGA 2080ti (haven't picked specific evga version yet)
RAM: 2x16(32), Corsair Vengeance LBX
MB: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master LGA 1151 (300 series)

SSD: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
HDD: 4TB (maybe two...)

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow (edit - only maybe 20lbs. :(  :lol:  )
PSU: Corsair RmX850 Series

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ok so this is the list I/hubby have come up with. Anything "wrong" with it? :p

=======================================

CPU: i9-9900k 8 core

CPU Cooler: Hydro Series H100i PRO

GPU: EVGA 2080ti (haven't picked specific evga version yet)

RAM: 2x16(32), Corsair Vengeance LBX

MB: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master LGA 1151 (300 series)

SSD: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB

HDD: 4TB (maybe two...)

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow (edit - only maybe 20lbs. :(  :lol:  )

PSU: Corsair RmX850 Series

The AIO cooler you picked is not that good compared to what is out there, performance wise it's a little worse than my NH-D15. I would recommend switching the Samsung 970 Pro to an EVO (no real performance difference, the PRO only gets you a longer lifespan, which is already long enough on the EVO) and getting something like EK-MLC Phoenix 360 if you can find it. Alternately NZXT Kraken x72 or Corsair 110i GT.

Here is a link where you can compare different results for different coolers.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

^ For the SSD, the write speeds are supposed to be a bit faster. This isn't a huge deal I suppose, just a note. And I like longevity, as I mentioned before. It's quite important to me actually. Hubby's work client has been using them/he's experienced with them and thus he really likes them, although he doesn't think this type of SSD is going to really catch on/become a common consumer mainstay.

The cooler - it's one of the 8 that the case manufacturer says will fit in that case, and hubby wants to put it in a specific spot so it has to fit there, plus he knows I'm not an overclocker. Not sure why he picked it over the other Corsair you mention tho, I left that up to him since I know jack. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

^ For the SSD, the write speeds are supposed to be a bit faster. This isn't a huge deal I suppose, just a note. And I like longevity, as I mentioned before. It's quite important to me actually. Hubby's work client has been using them/he's experienced with them and thus he really likes them, although he doesn't think this type of SSD is going to really catch on/become a common consumer mainstay.

Makes sense for the SSD then. This is the quote from the reviews I read on it: "The main difference is the way the NAND cells are written, three bits per cell for the EVO, and two bits per cell for the Pro models. So what it the gain then? Well, a perf increase at incredibly high and complicated workloads. Also, writing 2 bits per cell places less strain on that NAND cell for the number of times it can be written, and that increases lifespan. If you purchase a Pro model, you do that solely for the reason of Endurance, which is the number of terabytes written before the NAND cells die off."

Edited by Sarex

My new case may only be 20ish pounds instead of 30ish, but I'm old and tiny and it's huge/awkward for me to carry, how am I going to lug the filled thing all the way outside to dust it out every four months or so? Where's my servant boy?

...do you guys just blow the dust into the room? My allergies ... maybe I can mostly cover it in a giant plastic bag while blowing it out.

My new case may only be 20ish pounds instead of 30ish, but I'm old and tiny and it's huge/awkward for me to carry, how am I going to lug the filled thing all the way outside to dust it out every four months or so? Where's my servant boy?

...do you guys just blow the dust into the room? My allergies ... maybe I can mostly cover it in a giant plastic bag while blowing it out.

Aslong as I have no injuries lifting some 45pounds isn't anything special, and if I were lazy I can just move aside one of my monitors and I can have at the filters and inside of the case.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I hold the Dyson nozzle near it to draw some of the dust in. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Conveniently, my desktop is very close to the balcony. I carry it about 4 steps out the door and blow it out there using air in a can.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Why not just disassemble it, everything minus the CPU and Heatsink, and clean everything. The biggest issue I found is the dust that sticks to the fans and makes them noisy. To clean that you need to take them off and clean them with your liquid of choice (mine is alcohol).

• Like 1

Why not just disassemble it, everything minus the CPU and Heatsink, and clean everything. The biggest issue I found is the dust that sticks to the fans and makes them noisy. To clean that you need to take them off and clean them with your liquid of choice (mine is alcohol).

My favourite liquid for universal use. :p

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Laziness.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

e6rMZEV.jpg

Finally built a new rig. I actually bought my last motherboard in 2008. It was a HEDT motherboard (it had some of the first USB3 and SATA3 connections on it) and it's hold up extremely well for 10-11 years. Amazing really. Same with my GPU, a R9 290X that was still viable today. Great stuff.

The main reason I built a new rig was not for performance (although that is also nice), but for space. My old big tower was too ugly and too large. This time I built an ITX:

Case: Kolink Satellite Plus. Very cheap, very stylish (clean, almost Danish design) and very versatile. Fits full sized PSU's and GPU's (less than 280 mm) despite being only 12.7 litres. Everything is so well thought out, from rubber studs for the hard drives to the cable management inside the case. I'm really impressed by it.

PSU: Seasonic FOCUS+ 750W. Test winner, quite expensive but completely silent under 300W (all the time except when gaming) and modifiable. Not a single cable is wasted. I figured that instead of getting a SSF sized PSU for the same amount of money, I would get the best ATX instead. I think it paid off.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I GAMING. Yeah, I got the B450 instead of the X470. I figured since it's an ITX I wouldn't need the overclocking abilities of the X470 chipset (basically the only difference), but the cooling I got is so effective I actually think I got OC headroom. Oh well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X. 8 cores at 4.3 GHz and 105W. It's powerful, it's a lot less power hungry than my old Intel Core i7 970 and it's.. amazing.

GPU: ASUS Geforce GTX 1080Ti Turbo. Went Nvidia again after being an AMD fanboy for 10 years. Love the performance, hate the drivers (annoying overlays in games and two different programs, one with a login, just to update drivers, 0.5+GB every time). Second hand but almost brand new, I got lucky and got it cheap.

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2x16) 3600MHz DDR4. They're.. colourful. Also fast (CL17) and overclockable.

Cooling: Corsair Hydro H75 v2. It's 120mm fan size but with two fans in a sandwich formation. Crazy effective, lowered my CPU temps by 10C idle and 20+C gaming. It's so effective that it lowered all case temperatures because it pulls in lots of cool air while pushing hot air out the backside. Also, it only wheezes when gaming.

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2. So fast, 3500/2500 MB/s read/write. I had a SATA3 SSD before and the difference is huge. Start-up is like.. 5 seconds or something equally crazy.

Storage HD: HGST Deskstar 4TB 7200rpm 64MB SATA3. It's the only thing I kept from my old rig. Built like a tank, will probably never die. Quite noisy though..

The headset on top is a Kingston HyperX Cloud Flight wireless gaming headset. Got it in a sale for half price. Quite happy with it.

Next step is getting a new screen. The one I got is a 27" 2560x1440 60Hz MVA. I want a 27"+ 2560x1440 144Hz IPS with HDR support. Didn't find the right one yet (eyeing the Samsung C32HG70 though).

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

GPU: ASUS Geforce GTX 1080Ti Turbo. Went Nvidia again after being an AMD fanboy for 10 years. Love the performance, hate the drivers (annoying overlays in games and two different programs, one with a login, just to update drivers, 0.5+GB every time)

I don't have a 1080ti so don't know if it's different than 980ti but ... did you install Experience? I tried it once to try Shadowplay. Hated the overlays. Hated the forced "profile" installing/installed game checking without asking.  Hated everything about it even after tweaking tons of settings . Uninstalled it. Much better.

Edited by LadyCrimson

GPU: ASUS Geforce GTX 1080Ti Turbo. Went Nvidia again after being an AMD fanboy for 10 years. Love the performance, hate the drivers (annoying overlays in games and two different programs, one with a login, just to update drivers, 0.5+GB every time)

I don't have a 1080ti so don't know if it's different than 980ti but ... did you install Experience? I tried it once to try Shadowplay. Hated the overlays. Hated the forced "profile" installing/installed game checking without asking.  Hated everything about it even after tweaking tons of settings . Uninstalled it. Much better.

To be honest.. I'm not sure, but I think yes. IT'S SO ANNOYING!! Whyyy do I need a login with some sort of game interface that gives really stupid settings suggestions for my games, keeps popping up messages in my system tray, needs to update like twice a week (and so big update files!!) just to have a graphics driver?? And the interface for updating the drivers.. omg. I think the reason I installed the Geforce Experience was that I couldn't figure out how to update the drivers without it. I actually had to go to the Nvidia homepage and download an entire new set of drivers every time I wanted to update. And the drivers don't say when there are updates, only the Geforce Experience crap does this.

For so many years I've been reading Nvidia people trash talk the bad drivers of AMD cards. Holy ****ing **** were they wrong. Holy. ****ing. ****.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Nvidia never ported GeForce Experience to Linux so I never have to deal with that garbage. Sometimes less really is more. :lol:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Nvidia's drivers aren't as "great" as they used to be I think (although I rarely have a problem with them myself sometimes they make game performance for a game worse until a next version) but Experience is something separate. :/

I've always gone to their website to download drivers - I like having them all saved to disk in case I want to revert to an older one temporarily if a particular game doesn't like the most recent one I installed. I install only the drivers and PhysX, I uncheck everything else far as I remember offhand.

But I don't care about always having the latest driver right away so it's not much of a hassle. I just update if games/something seems like it might benefit from updating or a long time has passed. So once every 4-8 months maybe.

I know some who love Experience but I don't know how they can stand it. :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson

It was never the case of nvidia drivers being great, it was that amd's were crap. Btw, there are tools to strip the driver install of any component you don't want down to the bare driver. If there is interest I'll look for some links.

I always leave GE unchecked during driver install. It’s useless and tries to tell you what settings you should run your graphics on a game, umm I’ll do that myself thank you. Also suggests you login with Facebook. Haha FB linked to my video drivers, very funny

• Like 1

Power problem. Forgot to order the switchbox. Need 3rd set of cheap speakers. USB mice. etc   Gosh darn it, it's unending.  :mellow: At least I don't need any monitors. 

pcstuff-01.jpg

• Like 1

There are various things you can't uncheck, like the telemetry process for an example. Some people don't care/mind, but others want the least clutter possible.

but others want the least clutter possible.

I'll let you guess where I stand in that regard. :shifty:

workareaclutter-01.jpg

...the visible wires aren't PC related tho (there's about 2 feet open behind desk for those) - they're things like laptop, phone charger, external HDD's etc. As long as there isn't a trip hazard and wires aren't all over any work area in front of monitors, I'm cool. What I loathe is dust/dirt.

Edited by LadyCrimson

I was expecting the new gpu to be a little bigger of course, but it's frakking HUGE vs. my 980ti. Must weigh like 6 pounds.

Not sure if we'll get it all put together tonight, but we're working on it.

newpc-20.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2