Build Thread 2.0

samm

Think of this way, when the bitcoin market crashes and it will, the second hand gpus will be dirt cheap and the new ones will be heavily discounted.

If it does. It's not unlikely someone starts some different bitcoin thing and the mining starts again.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm seriously pissed at all the bitcoin mining going on. It's making it pretty ****ing annoying when you're (STILL! >_< ) in the market for a bleeding gpu...

You might want to consider getting a pre-built, tearing the GPU out of it, and then selling the bits you don't need.

EVGA is also releasing cards on their site at retail pricing although they usually sell out within a few minutes of going up.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

• 1 year later...

Hidey ho!

My desktop has finally **** its last bed and I'm looking for any advice on putting together something new as I have not kept up with hardware in some time.

My budget is fairly modest as I have a few things going on right now that are limiting what I can afford so I'm really looking for good performance for a good price rather than just going crazy with the new hotness. 1300 quatloos is probably my max

Thanks in advance unless you're some kind of time traveler or being that exists outside of time

Free games updated 3/4/21

Hidey ho!

My desktop has finally **** its last bed and I'm looking for any advice on putting together something new as I have not kept up with hardware in some time.

My budget is fairly modest as I have a few things going on right now that are limiting what I can afford so I'm really looking for good performance for a good price rather than just going crazy with the new hotness. 1300 quatloos is probably my max

Thanks in advance unless you're some kind of time traveler or being that exists outside of time

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/guru3d-winter-2019-pc-buyers-guide,1.html

• Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Oh, that's a nice link, thank you. I know what processor and GPU I want but sometimes all the other stuff is "I have no idea." I'm going to try to slowly order parts to have something built by the end of March (famous last words but..). I'd fall in the mostly-overkill category I guess. Worst part for me is it may be the first time I buy most things online, it's just the way it is now. Hate it (I like being able to return/exchange things the same day if need be etc) but, sigh.

Anyway, I'm wondering, "everyone" always recommends what appears to be liquid cooling units for the i9-9900k. Does it really need that, if one isn't going to overclock? I know they don't come with any cooling thingie when you buy it, it's just the chip ... but would one of the popular non-liquid coolers still be fine or does it really run that hot? Still not sure I want to deal with liquid cooling, since I've never used it before/have no clue. I dunno. :/

Edit: talking to hubby he thinks I should go for the liquid cooling this time I guess....

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I mean, if a processor *requires* liquid cooling to cool adequately, it's more likely that I'll just get a different processor than go along with it.

@ShadySands: Probably need some kind of specifics you want to be able to recommend anything.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Oh, that's a nice link, thank you. I know what processor and GPU I want but sometimes all the other stuff is "I have no idea." I'm going to try to slowly order parts to have something built by the end of March (famous last words but..). I'd fall in the mostly-overkill category I guess. Worst part for me is it may be the first time I buy most things online, it's just the way it is now. Hate it (I like being able to return/exchange things the same day if need be etc) but, sigh.

Anyway, I'm wondering, "everyone" always recommends what appears to be liquid cooling units for the i9-9900k. Does it really need that, if one isn't going to overclock? I know they don't come with any cooling thingie when you buy it, it's just the chip ... but would one of the popular non-liquid coolers still be fine or does it really run that hot? Still not sure I want to deal with liquid cooling, since I've never used it before/have no clue. I dunno. :/

Edit: talking to hubby he thinks I should go for the liquid cooling this time I guess....

You can grab the tower coolers too, I think, if you don't plan to overclock. They do an adequate job, but require a big enough case and can sometimes interfere with the high profile ram sticks.

I personally cool my 5820k with Noctua NH-D15, and it keeps it 30 and below on idle. I tried AIO watercooling (some CM 280) on it and it was noisy and believe it or not performed worse, albeit slightly, than the Noctua.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Anyway, I'm wondering, "everyone" always recommends what appears to be liquid cooling units for the i9-9900k. Does it really need that, if one isn't going to overclock?

It will perform at its rated TDP (more or less) if you aren't overclocking and most decent conventional aftermarket coolers like the 212/ H7 will deal with a default 95W just fine. That will impact performance though, the 95W rating doesn't include the built in turbo so with poor cooling you may not (won't, practically) even hit the built in turbo speeds consistently. Pretty much all reviews are also done with high performance cooling even if they aren't doing an overclocking test and its strong benchmarking is predicated on hitting boost speeds. There isn't much point spending the premium on a 9900k and having it sit at 3.6 Ghz if you're doing something that takes more than 30s.

IIRC under load it's a 200W chip at default settings on a 390 motherboard rather than a 95W chip, which gives an idea of the level of cooling needed to get full performance.

I mean, if a processor *requires* liquid cooling to cool adequately, it's more likely that I'll just get a different processor than go along with it.

@ShadySands: Probably need some kind of specifics you want to be able to recommend anything.

Whether the 1300 includes budget for a monitor/ OS or not is a big consideration too.

Something like this, I guess?: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Sakhr/saved/7M9V6h

Pay $30 more for the Ryzen 5 2600X CPU, pay like $50 less to drop down to a 1070 TI GPU, pay a heck of a lot more to go up to either a 1080 TI or 2080 GPU. Depending on what you do with your PC, Intel might still be a better choice (e.g. if all you do is game, then getting a CPU with 12 good threads is probably not as effective as getting a CPU with 6 fantastic threads, etc.). As it is, you'd have a few hundred dollars left for SSDs and miscellania too.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I'd basically recommend going similar to the medium build from Sarex's guru3d article.

R5 2600- can go 2600x for the better cooler and automatic overclocking, probably not worth it tho

B450 Tomahawk*

16GB DDR4 RAM (3000MHz+, any reputable brand on the QVL. Don't bother with B die, not worth the premium)

RX 580** (fine for 1080p/60Hz, assuming 60Hz. Think they have a pretty good game bundle with them too at the moment)

550W or higher modular/ gold PSU (any decent quality unit like EVGA G series or recent Corsair CXM, check out a PSU tier list if in doubt)

Crucial MX500 SSD

That would be a fair bit under budget, I'd put any leftovers towards a monitor/ GPU upgrade later on.

*X470 if you need the features, but a Tomahawk's specs are as good as or better than most cheap x470s. MSI has done an excellent job with their 400 series boards.

**IMO the GPU market is pretty meh at the moment, so I'd tend to recommend a cheaper card rather than an overkill card especially since RTX is still at meme level adoption/ performance. nVidia's 1660 is also close to release and may be worth consideration. If a monitor upgrade is likely within a year a 2060/70/80 (or Vega 56/64 if you don't mind tinkering, they require a good quality 550W+ PSU though) should be considered, depending on resolution.

• Like 1

Yeah, wasn't sure what to do with the GPU, since he said he was only going with a 1080 monitor, but I thought he might eventually upgrade those.

There are good arguments for both with the 20 series being new releases, but unfortunately it also doesn't represent much of a price/ performance shift and there aren't enough raytraced games to be worth it for 1080p RTX gaming, so...

The logic is that GPUs typically improve a lot in price/ performance and you're usually better off getting the monitor first then the GPU to go with it rather than the reverse. Despite price performance not shifting much over the past two years I think it's likely to shift a decent amount over the next year or so with Navi and a shift to 7nm, and the $200 saved getting a 580 instead of a 2070 class card will go a lot further in a year.

• Like 2

I guess my main concern is do you have to replace liquid coolers more often than physical heatsink ones - do they have more parts that wear out due to heat or age. I'm rather a set it and forget it for years and years person. I *am* going for a larger case this time - current rig is a tower but not quite that ultimate full size type. Eh. We'll see. I suppose I could try liquid and if I don't like it replace it later.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I guess my main concern is do you have to replace liquid coolers more often than physical heatsink ones - do they have more parts that wear out due to heat or age. I'm rather a set it and forget it for years and years person. I *am* going for a larger case this time - current rig is a tower but not quite that ultimate full size type. Eh. We'll see. I suppose I could try liquid and if I don't like it replace it later.

Well, sure, they have more parts that can fail, but I do have a 5 year warranty on my Fractal Design Celsius s36. If it is still alive after that time, I will change the coolant inside if it is still relevant with the sockets that'll have released by then.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I envy your bank account.

I should do an upgrade this year.  Thought not sure my 4790k & 980 is really unsuitable for the games I play, maybe Cyberpunk will tax it but that's coming out never.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, running a 4770k, still don't see the point in upgrading yet.

32 pounds, according to newegg.

I've mocked a lot of cases for looking like "spaceships" before, but that literally looks like it could actually be a spaceship. Congratulations on going the full mile, DEEPCOOL?

(e): also, what the flip, $400

Edited by Bartimaeus

I didn't geat a "heavy" sticker on my Corsair 900d, and it's heavier. :(