Build Thread 2.0

samm

That's likely because of the fan kicking in harder as it reaches higher temperatures...and then dropping again when it gets so low. If that's the case, then yeah, that probably suggests you need better cooling, and replacing the thermal paste would certainly be a good idea to start with.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

i noticed that at idle the temperature jumps up to 49C and then slowly goes down to 35C then jumps up again... i think this is a sign of the thermal paste gone bad. haven't changed it since i got the CPU about 3 years ago

I've noticed that same jumping temp behavior on two different 7700K systems and even my 6700K, but if it's shutting down then then try another cooler or reapply thermal paste

the cooler is an Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 with almost double the TDP rating of the CPU (200W vs 125W), that's why i think it's a contact problem aka the paste. i will buy some but living out in the sticks it will probably take some time to get here

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

i noticed that at idle the temperature jumps up to 49C and then slowly goes down to 35C then jumps up again... i think this is a sign of the thermal paste gone bad. haven't changed it since i got the CPU about 3 years ago

That's not that long, although it could be crappy paste.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

the super hot weather passed and now my pc runs again at a more reasonable temperature.

of course it may haven't even been the temperature but a power issue from the UPS but since yesterday i didn't encounter the sudden shut downs i got while playing games in the past few days

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

the super hot weather passed and now my pc runs again at a more reasonable temperature.

of course it may haven't even been the temperature but a power issue from the UPS but since yesterday i didn't encounter the sudden shut downs i got while playing games in the past few days

Did you clean out the PSU aswell or just the cpu, gpu and chassis fans?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Did you clean out the PSU aswell or just the cpu, gpu and chassis fans?

of course and i changed the batteries of the UPS. at first i thought the shut downs were from sudden loss of power due to the primitive power lines because i knew that the UPS batteries were on their last legs, but they kept happening even after i got new batteries. the thing that made me say it was a temperature problem was that the RX470 has never gone above 65C and after the undervolting it barely ever goes above 60C, but the last few days it was exceeding 70C. and while i don't monitor CPU temps usually, the few times i did look at them while the Fx8350 was under load, they were about 69-72C and the last few days i saw them at 78-83C. today that its not so hot, the 470 was back to under 65C and the CPU was at around 75C

so i guess it was the extremely hot weather to cause the problem, but still some new paste could be useful.

Edited by teknoman2

-Teknoman2-

Need some ideas guys, I've got some annoyances with my computer.

1. If I turn off the computer, it gets an overclocking failure at boot. All I have to do is enter bios and exit it again for it to boot properly.

2. When I reboot the system, it occasionally only finds one of the ram-sticks. Fix? Enter bios and exit it again.

I'm running the RAM at 3200@1.35V but it doesn't matter what clocks I run them at.

Bad motherboard or RAM sticks?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'd say motherboard. I have a similar problem with my ASUS Maximus in regards to the "failure at boot", and always assumed it was the motherboard. Not a big enough of a deal for me to bother replacing it. The RAM problem, on the other hand, I don't have, and that would probably be a big enough of a deal for me to want to replace it.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

FlareX CL14 2x8, posted a couple of pages back. That's meant to be the best and most reliable option for Ryzen so it shouldn't be a RAM compatibility issue. And FlareX is tested pretty thoroughly as well.

I can't really suggest anything other than the obvious like swapping the slots the RAM are in over and testing with other RAM if available. I only had one problem with RAM and Ryzen and  that was solved by turning off XMP, but I presume that isn't the issue here. Given that ASUS AM4 boards had some teething troubles I'd suspect it's the culprit as well.

My old ASUS motherboard also had a bios/ boot failure issue. It had a disappearing RAM issue as well, but that was solved by swapping the sticks around and never recurred.

• Like 1

Did try to swap the sticks around, but no real improvement there, still recieved only 8gb at boot a about 3 out of 5 times when rebooting. I did try setting my cpu overclock to all manual though and that did seem to resolve the OC error on boot, so there is that. The auto OC feature seemed to have some problems. Now my niggle is cpu heat instead since I'm consistently at 3.9Ghz.

I'll try that out later, I think I'm going to buy some new paste before I do that and have a looksee. I'm not too pleased about "idling" at 47C since my cpu voltage usually lies at about 1.37-1.4, I'm usually pretty good about not overtightening though, my father was pretty adamant about such things but it's worth looking into anyway.

My secondary pc is an Alienware Alpha with supposedly an 860m gtx 2gb that is non-upgradable as it was said to be soldered unto the motherboard. However, someone made a video of upgrading it with a 1080? Weird.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

a few months ago, my brother changed his FX6300 with a ryzen 1600 but he kept the old mobo+cpu+ram+cooler, and we still had an old HD4850, so now i got a case+screen+psu+hdd and made a PC for my mother to replace her VERY old laptop that with a mere 2GB of ram could not even run a single window of chrome without running out of memory and having to use the just as old hdd for very slow virtual memory.

she doesn't use use any complicated or heavy stuff (i.e games) and is mostly going on facebook, youtube and other sites or uses MS office so having a computer that does not freeze after every click is a huge upgrade for her

EDIT

now this is strange. when i made that pc for my mother, i changed the thermal paste on the CPU and putting the cooler back on, the base was centered on the CPU

today i changed paste on my FX8350 and i noticed that the cooler is not sitting on the center... and i use the same motherboard and cooler as the other pc

when i first put the paste on the temperature seemed to be a bit high but as the paste bonded well with the two metal surfaces, it started going down rapidly. the jumping around is still there but now it jumps between 33 and 41 while idle instead of 35-49. the problem is that because my screen is VGA and the RX470 only has digital output, i have to use a signal converter that only activates when windows is on so i can't access the BIOS to see if there is any setting about the fan i can change

Edited by teknoman2

-Teknoman2-

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I have a 1070 and I find myself playing one or two notches below 4k in new games because it lets me max out everything else. 4k even on medium is kinda choppy. I can't really tell the difference most of the time. Resolution isn't everything. I'd rather have a stable framerate.

Older less demanding games you can play though. Borderlands 2 looks gorgeous in 4k. 

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

i will buy some but living out in the sticks it will probably take some time to get here

I'm a fan of Kryonaut and use it almost exclusively (except for when I use Conductonaut because when you're repasting laptops sometimes it's worth using Liquid Metal).

*Snip*

That's a known eGPU method and I've seen enough people use it successfully that it might be worth a try even though it likely doesn't have a 100% success rate and you will be loosing the wireless card.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

• 6 months later...

Recently transferred my 1080ti to the Bulldog living room pc (right side). Great for VR, and no compromises 4K gaming (unlike Xbox One X’s variable resolutions)

5a8747b7-55ff-4dce-brsumb.jpeg

Box has zero cable management features, but since it has no window then I guess it’s ok

4ecfa377-2f17-4d25-9sout3.jpeg

Specs:

1080ti Seahawk

i7 7700K

Z270 ITX

32GB RAM

1TB SSD

4TB HDD

600w PSU

75” 4K HDR TV

• Like 1

I'm seriously pissed at all the bitcoin mining going on. It's making it pretty ****ing annoying when you're (STILL! >_< ) in the market for a bleeding gpu...

Yep. Don't expect it to let up much at this rate, either.