Build Thread 2.0

samm

If you're buying autumn/ winter you'd probably be looking at coffeelake rather than a sky/kaby i7 at that time. They'll have consumer 6 cores which ought to be cheaper than i9 but still have a long life, and not need so expensive a motherboard either. There's not a huge amount of info out about them yet though, and they've slipped release dates before.

If you're buying now the only real option is the 6700k or 7700/k on the Intel side if you want any sort of longevity. The non k 7700 is actually slower than Ryzen on a fair number of games though, since it can't overclock while the Ryzens all can, for out and out performance in games you'd need the k version and a decent cooler.

• Like 2

i think its time to look for a UPS with lithium batteries, because the one i have now is old and uses conventional batteries that i have to keep replacing. i wonder if lithium batteries are compatible with the one i have

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Was debating upgrading my 6700K to 7700K, but after building a few 7700K systems for Disney at work, stress testing them showed them being a little too hot for my liking. I just got the 1080 Ti Seahawk X, which comes pre-overclocked at about 2ghz. The aio rad is nice as it doesn't throttle under load. Now I'm trying to sell my Titan X Pascal

pcdGiaIh.jpg

Some pics of the Corsair 570x glass case with the old Titan X installed

jAaS7vJh.jpg

WmRNu18h.jpg

Tgnkc3Th.jpg

Ordered some new parts today;

https://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/10472013/mitt-bygger-2017-06-17

I feel like a kid on christmas. Except Christmas is 6 days away. ;_;

And I need to point out one very important thing. The Obsidian 900D is 9cms taller than my fathers case. So I, after a bit more then a decade of teasing... win. \o/

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

No solid state drive, or do you already have one?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

No solid state drive, or do you already have one?

I've got a 128gb Kingston SATA SSD. It serves it's purpose, but I'm getting myself an m2 in the autumn, or whenever AMD gets around to releasing vega. Getting a new GPU then too.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Not sure how I noticed a lack of an SSD but not a lack of a GPU...

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Priorities! :p

I was considering throwing in a 580, but it seems such a waste. My 7970 can run anything at the moment well enough. I guess I have to wait a few more months for freesync, that's about it. :)

Other people's builds make me feel vaguely inadequate, the thread.

I was considering throwing in a 580, but it seems such a waste. My 7970 can run anything at the moment well enough. I guess I have to wait a few more months for freesync, that's about it. :)

Yeah, it's an absolutely dreadful time to get a 580 with the mining boom. 2nd hand 570s are going for more than I paid for my 580 around a month ago. Surely that bubble will burst soon though.

• Like 1

Other people's builds make me feel vaguely inadequate, the thread.

I've always had that feeling myself when visiting this thread, considering I'm currently sitting on a Phenom II X4 955... That I bought shortly after release.

Yeah, it's an absolutely dreadful time to get a 580 with the mining boom. 2nd hand 570s are going for more than I paid for my 580 around a month ago. Surely that bubble will burst soon though.

The 580 prices hasn't spiked here like they've done in other places(An XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB GTR-S Black Edition for 350'ish $), but still, it's a waste when a new circuit is just around the corner.

My PC's:

••• PC1 Custom Desktop •••

Cpu: AMD Vashira 8-Core @4.5ghz

Gpu: nVidia 1080ti (8gb)

System Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB DDR3-2400

Storage: Samsung 750 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD +Seagate 4TB 3.5" HDD

Case: NZXT Phantom P240 (Mystic Black) ATX-Mid

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX (Fully Modular)

••• PC2 Alienware Alpha •••

Cpu: Intel i5 4-Core @2.0ghz oc'd @3.0ghz

Gpu: nVidia 860m GTX (2gb)

System Memory: Corsair Viper 8GB DDR3L-2400

Storage: 1tb Seagate 7200rpm

And yes, I love both equally. The Alienware was a gift from my Wife. She has good taste. Classy :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Built the compuer now today. Dear god is the 900d big. It makes my computer room look tiny!

Had some issues with OC'ing in when I first tried to boot, some sort of autofeature. I disabled it and then it booted properly, I need to flash the BIOS I think, but I'm going to make a couple of attempts at getting the memories up to full speed first.

1080ti is 11GB bruh

I forgot... just like I forgot what motherboard is in each one (so I didn't bother to list them).

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Also making an effort to eliminate all mechanical hard disk storage, for a fully solid state system. Currently starting out with NVME boot drive and dual 1tb SSDs for games and storage. It will still take awhile to match the mass storage space I once had with HDDs

4KqeoQ6h.jpg

• Like 2

Also making an effort to eliminate all mechanical hard disk storage, for a fully solid state system. Currently starting out with NVME boot drive and dual 1tb SSDs for games and storage. It will still take awhile to match the mass storage space I once had with HDDs

Yeah, and quite a bit of money too :)

I might never go full SSD, I don't mind having mechanical disks as long term storage as long as they're the much much cheaper alternative. For the price of 3 TB SSD storage I can get 30 TB's of mechanical storage.

I will be getting myself something like 200-500GB SSD once Vega's out though.

While on SSDs though, can y'all give me some tips on what to look out for in SSDs, don't have much knowledge of them really.

• Like 1

There's too many decent options to really provide meaningful input, especially not knowing how much you value speed vs capacity. I'd say just look at Tom Hardware's main SSD articles [1, 2] if you want an idea of what's generally considered to be good drives combined with good prices here in the U.S. At the very least, it'll provide a baseline for finding stuff in Sweden. Their "best" lists aren't as good as they used to be, though, sadly... E: in fact, if you're not buying a PCIE/NVME drive, the SATA article is more or less worthless. Bah.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

Appreciate the list mate :)

Longevity, price, capacity, speed, I would say. I'm primarilly looking to fill my m2 slot. Does anyone have any insight into the different NANDs and such? Those lists didn't go into any depth about such things.

Also, just overclocked my RAM to 3200, the motherboard automatically set the voltage to 1.35V, I'm going to have to take another day to see if I can lower that somewhat, step by step.

Edited by Azdeus

Well I love my laptop it has run everything nice on FULL HD max settings though honestly have not tried any superdemanding games that need 60+fps.

Acer Aspire VX5-591G 15.6" GAMING LAPTOP (black)
15.6 inch screen easy to carry into airplane even if you move to another country.
CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ
This particular Kaby Lake is 4 cores and 3,5GHz in TURBO MODE.

Graphic card: Nvidia GTX 1050Ti, 4 GB DDR5

Memory: 8 GB DDR4 RAM
1 TB HDD
Operating system: Windows 10. I do have separately a 24 inch gaming monitor with 1 ms response time and Flicker-free , TUV Low Blue Light technology.

Now this SSD. I don't need that ,but subjective taste and everyone decides what they want to buy. However SSD affects the Windows startup speed and how fast the game will load if you double click it so it starts from desktop. SSD does not affect actual gameplay when thinking of fps. Later this year towards Christmas I probably will buy more RAM though and increase RAM to 16GB RAM.

Edited by Terminator

Longevity, price, capacity, speed, I would say. I'm primarilly looking to fill my m2 slot.

I don't think there are any turkeys left in the SSD field, so they're all generally reliable. The main choice is whether to go with a SATA based m2 or NVME m2. Most people will not see the speed benefits of NVME, there is a big improvement from platter to SSD but the extra speed from NVME is unnecessary for most. I personally went with a 525GB Crucial MX (SATA m2) as the NVME options were near twice the price, but given your parts list I'd have to second the Samsung 960. It is a pricey option though.

• Like 1

meanwhile my old FX8350 overheats and shuts down if i push it too much because of the summer heat. i avoid gaming because i can't afford to get a new CPU in case this one gets fried. i even cleaned up inside to make the cooler work better but while the average temps went a bit down, in the end there is no avoiding the overheating. maybe i should replace the thermal paste too

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

meanwhile my old FX8350 overheats and shuts down if i push it too much because of the summer heat. i avoid gaming because i can't afford to get a new CPU in case this one gets fried. i even cleaned up inside to make the cooler work better but while the average temps went a bit down, in the end there is no avoiding the overheating. maybe i should replace the thermal paste too

I gained about 5-10C from changing thermal paste on my old CPU, so yeah, that sounds like a good plan. :)

It did way more difference than cleaning out the fins.

i noticed that at idle the temperature jumps up to 49C and then slowly goes down to 35C then jumps up again... i think this is a sign of the thermal paste gone bad. haven't changed it since i got the CPU about 3 years ago

-Teknoman2-