Build Thread 2.0

samm

Well neither does my current card, it's still really noisy at load. I could just buy the cheapest I can find and put a custom cooler on it but my CPU cooler makes the top PCI slot a difficult fit, the lower slot, which I'm using now, is not ideal for airflow. There are too many cables with thick insulation near the exhaust that I can't reroute. I'm sure that's part of my problem.

Really I just need the card to not go very far above 60c at load and most 1070 fortunately dont. MSI and Asus (probably more) have versions with three fans rather than two and slightly overclocked ram. I could dial that back a bit and if I'm lucky that will  be the sweet spot. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

1070 is probably best performance vs price. Diminishing returns start with the 1080. If you are happy to game in HD for the foreseeable future the don't get anything more than an RX 470. That's like half the cost of a 1070.

Good to know. What I want is a computer that I don't have to tinker with for a few years.

Guys: Yes or No?

https://www.inet.se/produkt/1517097/taurus-overkill-gtx-1080#specs

I have no idea what's good or not. Haven't been keeping up for the past 3-4 years.

It's got some nice components in there for sure. But I think 250gb ssd is a bit on the small side (I know it has a 3gb normal drive, but you want games on the SSD and they can take up some space).

I also don't like it only having 16gb of RAM. With a build that high end, it really should have 32gb.

Also, that case is hideous...

Now that being said, they're not overcharging for the parts by a lot, so it's not a terrible buy from that perspective. They do include some parts that I would leave out (Windows license, optical drive, 3gb normal drive), so it's possible to get the same performance for less.

So is it worth it? The components are good and mirror fairly well what I'd get myself if I were to build a new system. But the 1070 is a more price efficient buy than the 1080, so if budget is a concern I'd look for something including that.

Also note, Inet has the option to build a computer from custom chosen parts (for 800sek I believe), giving you the option to customize a bit more if you don't want to put it together yourself. If you don't mind assembling yourself, there are cheaper versions of the 1080 out there (by almost 1000 SEK) compared to what Inet sells, so there is money to be saved there as well.

• Like 1

Thanks!

I actually went through with the purchase. I know I could have gotten it cheaper and all that, but the lazy part of me went with convenience this time.

My brother wants a custom built PC in a few months, so we'll probably use that option for him.

I mostly use inet because they have always been good with service and other stuff. The same goes for some of my friends.

Well, Nvidia will release the 1080 ti early next year. Rumors says it'll have performance similar to the current Titan, but at a lower price.

It'll still probably cost an arm and a leg.

AMD are also releasing their new top of the line cards "Vega" sometime next year. I believe first quarter, but there's no definite date. It's a new architecture, so much harder to speculate on performance there, unfortunately.

Like I said, 1070 can do 4K at high settings... but not ultra extreme settings. The current 4K champ is the Titan X Pascal, it crushes every new game in 4K ultra settings. Many new games are even playable on that card in 8K DSR, although it can get a bit laggy in some areas. 1080 ti should match it performance wise, as would Vega hopefully

The 1070 should do 40 fps average on current games' ultra settings in 4K. Bringing things down a notch to high settings should possibly net you 50-60 fps, which is in playable ballpark for me.

The 980ti was my go to 4K card for a year or so, and the 1070 is 30% faster than that (on paper at least)

Here are some benches for reference

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-pascal-performance,4585-3.html

If I stay with 4k and a 60hz screen for a long time, which is likely (I might get a 144 hz monotor for gaming but that will just be HD) I won't gain anything more once I have a stable 60 fps. 

Does the 1080 make sense in that context.

Maybe 1070 SLI and I get the second card when it has dropped in price. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Since using the new monitor with displayport I discovered that I get a sharp static shock when I touch the computer cabinet and the radiator at the same time, it builds up instantly too. If I lift my finger from the case after the charge has dissipated and put it down again I get another one. a frequent occurence since I like to rest my feet on the radiator.

I noticed that the power cord for the monitor doesn't have the usual three prongs where one is earth I think. Not really sure if that relevant for static and whether that even works with Danish power fittings and in any case shouldn't I be using the power cable that came with the monitor. I have extra three pronged ones though. 

I'm about to change out both my gfx for the new 1070, the displayport cable for a shorter one which also came with the monitor and the power cord. Really hope that makes a difference. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.