Build Thread 2.0

samm

It's 35% cheaper and 3.5% slower than the Titan X. So yeah, in one fell swoop, both the regular 980 and the Titan X are obsolete. Would go so far as to say it also obsoletes all current 'sensible' SLI and CF configurations, you'd take a 980Ti over 970 SLI or 290/X CF.

16th of June can't come fast enough, at which point we'll see how the GPU landscape looks like for the rest of the year.

Figures, just after I bought a 980 (ok, it's $200 cheaper than the Ti here)

To be fair, if you're aiming for 1080p, you don't particularly need anything beyond a 980 right now, and I'm guessing you won't with DirectX 12 and Vulkan right around the corner for potentially better optimization in future games, not to mention the consoles holding PC games back.  The 980Ti is the sweet spot if you're aiming for 1440p.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

My own build just made a step back :( Had to install the stock cooler on my 7970 because the pump of the AC Hybrid finally gave up the ghost. That thing is loud under full load! And the increased temperatures noticably influence power draw as well. Fiji can't come fast enough. Or 1x nm...

It's 35% cheaper and 3.5% slower than the Titan X. So yeah, in one fell swoop, both the regular 980 and the Titan X are obsolete. Would go so far as to say it also obsoletes all current 'sensible' SLI and CF configurations, you'd take a 980Ti over 970 SLI or 290/X CF.

16th of June can't come fast enough, at which point we'll see how the GPU landscape looks like for the rest of the year.

Yeah, seen from above (Titan X --> 980 Ti) and using its MSRP, the 980 Ti seems like a good deal :) Seen from below (780 Ti / 290 --> 980 Ti) and with real world prices around here - not so much. Still, it's somehow reassuring to see Bokishi back in High End territory :)

CF / SLi may make a lot more sense with DX12 and Vulkan, if the developers of the widespread engines (thinking of Epic, Crytek, Unity but also upcoming ones like Oxide) get thrown enough money at to implement really good MGPU support.

16th of June may be underwhelming, considering that the really big architectural leaps will be made in the next, smaller node - I'm thinking of both GPUs and RAM (HBM) here. Also, imho, the GPU makers are not really under that much pressure until VR gets serious market share.

[edit]

Reminded myself that this is an American forum - removed swear words ;) Self censorship hoorray

Edited by samm
  • Like 1

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

To be fair, if you're aiming for 1080p, you don't particularly need anything beyond a 980 right now, and I'm guessing you won't with DirectX 12 and Vulkan right around the corner for potentially better optimization in future games, not to mention the consoles holding PC games back.  The 980Ti is the sweet spot if you're aiming for 1440p.

Yep, why I didn't bother waiting (also had waited 6 months at that point so..). I may want to move up to 1440p some time, but space availability makes that not likely.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My own build just made a step back :( Had to install the stock cooler on my 7970 because the pump of the AC Hybrid finally gave up the ghost. That thing is loud under full load! And the increased temperatures noticably influence power draw as well. Fiji can't come fast enough. Or 1x nm...

Yeah, seen from above (Titan X --> 980 Ti) and using its MSRP, the 980 Ti seems like a good deal :) Seen from below (780 Ti / 290 --> 980 Ti) and with real world prices around here - not so much. Still, it's somehow reassuring to see Bokishi back in High End territory :)

CF / SLi may make a lot more sense with DX12 and Vulkan, if the developers of the widespread engines (thinking of Epic, Crytek, Unity but also upcoming ones like Oxide) get thrown enough money at to implement really good MGPU support.

16th of June may be underwhelming, considering that the really big architectural leaps will be made in the next, smaller node - I'm thinking of both GPUs and RAM (HBM) here. Also, imho, the GPU makers are not really under that much pressure until VR gets serious market share.

[edit]

Reminded myself that this is an American forum - removed swear words ;) Self censorship hoorray

In a delightfully agricultural sort of way, perhaps the most interesting indication of Fiji - ahem, "Radeon Fury X's" performance isn't any technical data, but the simple fact that's it's a big chip. Bigger than anything previous. So in that pre-schooler maths sort of logic, it's going to be fast.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Hopefully the new AMD GPUs are super duper fast and priced competitively.  We need AMD to keep Nvidia honest(ish) and vice versa.  Now if only AMD could actually compete with Intel again on the CPU front... *sigh*

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

In some niches, they can compete on the CPU front. Notably they could in the cheaper mobile sector if there hadn't been a certain very appealing "contra revenue" strategy in place. Let's see if Zen puts them back into the mainstream...

• 5 weeks later...

Weird, I loaded the new Catalyst drivers, 15.7, and now there's a slightly blue side-sheen on super white displays on my monitor. I can only see it from an angle. Doesn't appear to be a problem, since I generally view it from ninetyish degrees. Anything over 110 or so, I can see an odd bluish tint where it was more gold before. It's just a middling ASUS non-IPS 1080 panel. Strange. 

All Stop. On Screen.

I vaguely remember getting a pink tint on my display some years ago on updating the graphics drivers, can't even remember what card I had at the time but I think restoring default settings in the control centre fixed it.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

If only seen from an angle, it's quite unlikely to be related to the driver. However, there have been instances in the past where EDID information was read out incorrectly (or incorrect EDID information was interpreted too strictly) - whatever the cause, under "My Digital Flat-Panels" --> "Display Color" there is a checkbox "Use Extended Display Identification (EDID)", which may be a culprit for colour issues. Or the more obvious ones in the same section, like hue, saturation, or colour temperature.

Another possibility: Installing the new driver removed an *.icm file that was active before. You can just reinstall the icm file you used before.

• Like 1

That is epic.  I bet it's awesome while playing with a controller and lounging back in a chair a little ways away from the desk, but how is it when you're sitting at the desk typing and stuff?  For me, I wouldn't want a monitor larger than maybe 27 or 28", unless I had a wide enough desk that the monitor was 3 or 4 feet from my face when sitting at the desk.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

If you want 60hz 4K I recommend a monitor 37"-40" because any smaller and the Windows UI and websites becomes so annoyingly small and hard to read. Also windows ppi scaling is pretty shoddy compared to OS X. This thing has about the same ppi as the 30" 2560x monitor, only the extra pixels were used to make 10 more inches of screen space.

Sitting at normal distance, the screen completely fills your view, sort of like an oculus rift. Typing is ok since its text is the same size as any other monitor, only there's more screen space. Games are awesome as I've never seen them this big and clear, it's like looking through a window

Is that the Philips one ?.

Been pondering taking that dive myself but I can't figure out the right one to get. 

It's made by a Korean company, but they happen to be using the exact same panels as the Philips one  :sorcerer:

Edited by Bokishi

What's it called.

Also, don't suppose it has a standard mount on the back, It's a rectangular depression with some screw holes that might be there in addition to the stand (so  you can hang it with a backplate and some screws) I take it the stand is not adjustable. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

i was looking at some prices and comparing them. the difference in the price of hardware between US and EU is enormous.

Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti

on amazon.com it costs 732USD that is 676E

on amazon.co.uk it costs 678GBP that is 978E

in my country the cheapest is 856E

with that sort of difference, i can get a plane ticket for NY, stay a week to sightsee, buy me a new PC, bring it back with me and it would still cost me less than just buying the PC in the cheapest store of my country

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

i was looking at some prices and comparing them. the difference in the price of hardware between US and EU is enormous.

Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti

on amazon.com it costs 732USD that is 676E

on amazon.co.uk it costs 678GBP that is 978E

in my country the cheapest is 856E

with that sort of difference, i can get a plane ticket for NY, stay a week to sightsee, buy me a new PC, bring it back with me and it would still cost me less than just buying the PC in the cheapest store of my country

Not to mention the difference in the quality of components...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP