Build Thread 2.0

samm

Sorry, I'm ignorant: what's DPA latency? I did a quick Google search and didn't seem to find anything.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah, it would help if I could read.

So is this a common problem with the 1150s? I didn't know there was a name for it, but I seem to have this problem once in a while, where my PC has inexplicably slows to a crawl: close to 0% CPU activity, close to 0% hard drive activity, more than enough free RAM available...and yet it takes 10-15 seconds to open Notepad...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Run DPC Latency checker or LatencyMon and check to see if you're having issues.

The USB Controller on my current motherboard is pretty bad. I actually have it completely disabled, and am just using a USB expansion card instead. DPC latency down to 20-30 from over 100.

I see tests with most newer boards scoring results of 100-200 by default which is yuck. So I'll probably end up getting the Asrock Z97 Extreme6, which people are reporting tops out at about 30-50. After I disable some unnecessary controllers, it should be really smooth.

The highest value I've had running that latency checker all day, (I did it after Googling it), is a value of 229. It's been in the 30s-40s roughly 99% of the time. I guess it's a probably situational thing.

After letting the program run the entire night, though, the lowest it'll go is about 60, even though I'm not running anything different from yesterday...probably a Window's problem. I'm curious to see how far it'll go up if you keep letting the system run, though.

It never used to really be an issue until Windows 7 brought in the High Precision Event Timer. If you disable that it will probably idle at about 7-8, although I don't like doing that because I find that no HPET increases frame time in games / more general system microstutter.

If it's high, it's an issue if you do audio recording, because the recording can come at a delay. I also think it affects input lag of the mouse in games as well, higher it is, the more floaty/laggy the mouse appears to be. As an ex-competitive FPS gamer, that's something I cannot abide :p

I have to hone my language skills again... wink.png

You are doing just fine original.gif

I had a look at the site and starting browsing through motherboards. Sheesh, I've been out of this game for too long already. How many legs exactly do the chips have these days??? Socket size 1150, 1155, 1156, 1366, 2011, 2011-3 (no idea what the -3 is for). Not to mention 3 different chipsets, z97, z87, z77 and x99. I guess I have some catching up to do on my reading.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

LGA 2011-v3 (also referred to as LGA 2011-3) is another updated generation of the socket, used for Haswell-E and Haswell-EP CPUs,

Build is postponed for a while, hm, means I might not have a rig suitable to play GTA5 or Witcher 3 on, when they release. Shazbot.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Left my computer on overnight. Woke to find my primary monitor frozen at black - not off, but just black - while the second monitor was acting as though it wasn't even plugged in. Restarted my computer to find that my system drive, the SSD, is very much dead. Regardless of where or what I plug it into, nothing recognizes it. My system image I use to restore from wouldn't work on this old SATA 2 80GB...because the drive I did the image from was 120GB, and apparently if the drive you're restoring to is smaller than the drive you're restoring from, it won't work - regardless of whether or not the restore only takes up 20GB or so, anyways.

Been a fun day.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Probably gonna have to upgrade for Pillars of Eternity lol ... a mixed 2D/3D game rofl

thinking of an i7 4790k (because fk it, why not?) and a low DPC latency motherboard, and some aftermarket cooler I can whack my quiet Noctua fan on.

The Nvidia Titan X is officially out.  3072 Maxwell cores, 12 GB GDDR5, 1002 MHz core clock, 1089 MHz boost (supposedly lots of room for overclocking).  Interestingly, compared to previous Titans, it has much lower double precision floating point performance.  For gaming, that makes no difference whatsoever.  I imagine Nvidia saw the Titans cutting into their Quadro card sales, which is why they removed the double precision performance from this card (I'm surprised they ever included the high double precision performance before).  $999 like the previous Titan and Titan Black.  Estimated performance is about 30-35% greater than a GTX 980, roughly in the same ballpark as a Titan Z or a R9 295X (note: the Titan Z and R9 295X are dual GPU cards, while the Titan X and GTX 980 are both single GPU).

This is by far the most powerful single GPU gaming card on the market, and will be until the R9 390X comes out.  If the rumored specs of the upcoming R9 390X are to be believed, that card will be a bit more powerful that the Titan X.  It will be an especially good deal if the R9 390X winds up being a couple hundred bucks cheaper.  The rumor is that the R9 390X isn't coming out until June, though.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Why 970?

Why not? Even with the 0.5 gb of separate memory (that hasn't been proven to affect anything) it's still a great card. The 980 is way overpriced.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

And here I thought Bokishi might get the Titan X - getting wiser with the years? ;)

(that hasn't been proven to affect anything)
Only in your opinion. Edited by samm
  • Like 1

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

And here I thought Bokishi might get the Titan X - getting wiser with the years? ;)

(that hasn't been proven to affect anything)

Only in your opinion.

lol wise as in no more SLI headaches. Those glutton days may be gone for now, but maybe not forever :wowey: Edited by Bokishi
  • Like 1

Don't worry folks, I'm here to fill in as the Why In The World Did I Just Spend So Much ****ing Money On a GPU guy.  I ordered a Titan X.  Did I need to buy it?  No.  Is it overpriced?  Absolutely.  Am I regretful?  Sorta.  My bank account hates my guts right now.  Am I crazy?  Plenty of people might say "yes".  That card's going to be the 1440p champion, though.  :wowey:

I'm going to be eating nothing but rice and ramen noodles for the rest of the year.  :p

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks