83 members have voted

1. 1. Which dev should play Pillars of Eternity at PAX East

• Chris Avellone
    • Tim Cain
    • Josh Sawyer
    • Adam Brennecke
    • Brandon Adler
    • [Other, assuming attendance]

Out of boredom / lulz, who do you think should demonstrate Pillars of Eternity at PAX East

We've seen Josh Sawyer demonstrate the game on stream from the Obsidian offices, Brandon Adler has played at E3 and at PAX South. Adam Brennecke played at Gamescom Germany.

Chris Avellone and Tim Cain have never played Pillars of Eternity for the public

Who would you like to see play at PAX East?

I'd like to see Tim Cain play myself. Poll Included.

I would like to see Adam Brennecke do a playthrough of PoE once it is out. That would be fun. 
As for PAX, it does not matter to me who actually plays. I'd like to hear more info/answers from the rest of the team though.

Nothing gold can stay.

I'm going to go with Tim Cain, because it'd be nice to hear what he has to say on the game as he plays and goes through the mechanics and whatnot. It's obvious that sometimes the developers themselves actually aren't sure on all the different parts as they tie together, judging by Josh Sawyer's own showings, and I want to know what Tim Cain thinks of the game as it's starting to finish up.

I would like to see Adam Brennecke do a playthrough of PoE once it is out. That would be fun. 
As for PAX, it does not matter to me who actually plays. I'd like to hear more info/answers from the rest of the team though.

Come to think of it, it'd be neat to see actual developers doing Let's Plays.

t50aJUd.jpg

Come to think of it, it'd be neat to see actual developers doing Let's Plays.

Adam played Icewind Dale II back in 2012. It was fun to see him react to it (although sometimes in the "yell at monitor/click stuff instead of him" sort of way  :biggrin: )

Nothing gold can stay.

I would like to see the dev who is the 'best' at the game. I want to see the mechanics being fully used to turn the tides of battle. For example, I have only just come to fully understand them myself and now recognise the power of buffs and debuffs. Frightening a group of 'enemy' with your cipher and then unleashing the barbarian is SO much more effective than everything on autoattack.

I think, given the nature of "live-shows", it'd be pretty difficult to fully showcase the tactical side of things. I know I would just not be able to focus on my playing when there's a big audience watching right in front of me. 

Maybe the devs are hardened though.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I think, given the nature of "live-shows", it'd be pretty difficult to fully showcase the tactical side of things. I know I would just not be able to focus on my playing when there's a big audience watching right in front of me. 

Maybe the devs are hardened though.

That would be down to the supporting dev to converse with the audience and give direction to the 'playing' dev with regards to 'move on' or 'do this'/'do that'.

Other, Eric Fenstermaker. He deserves to be known by the public. Excellent work on Mask of the Betrayer and Fallout: NV, and important work on Pillars of Eternity as Lead Narrative Designer.

Maybe when PoE is released he'll get more exposure, since the story won't be under wraps.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Don't know about that pax thing.

But I'd like to see Justin Bell go through some areas and situations and comment on the music and how come that kind of stuff there.

Environment/character artists as well. Give me a bit of trivia on why that bush over there and did you notice that little streem, it's actually coming from blah blah and so on.

Maybe a whole bunch of artists and area designers commenting on various aspects of the location? Make us see&appreciate there's a lot of work done there.

Either MCA or Tim Cain would be really interesting.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

How about both Tim Cain and Chris Avellone at the same time? Split-screen stream from two computers, showing the different ways people can play or different builds and parties. There could even be something competitive about it to spurr on the crowd. Josh or Brandon can act sports commentators:

"Tim passes the ball to Edér, Edér lands a critical hit! On the other side, Chris is catching up to his blunder earlier and.... it's close! It's close!! Who'll win??" xD

Haha, scratch the last part, but I think it could be interesting to see a side-by-side, split screen stream (or on two separate screens) of two plays happening at the same time.

• Like 1

I'm cool with Cain. See how he handles the pressure of living up to his legions of fanbois.

Or for something completely different, GSG. It'd be a different dynamic and she seems cool and has a good sense of humor about things --especially after the Kickstarter wrap party.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Other, Eric Fenstermaker. He deserves to be known by the public. Excellent work on Mask of the Betrayer and Fallout: NV, and important work on Pillars of Eternity as Lead Narrative Designer.

Maybe when PoE is released he'll get more exposure, since the story won't be under wraps.

+1

I assume they keep Fenstermaker in the Obsidian basement surrounded by moldy Gene Wolfe paperbacks and expired vending machine sandwiches... but let him out just this once.

It would be nice to see two approaches: Josh Sawyer to walk us mechanically through situations in a very super-pro-at-the-game fashion, and someone like Chris Avellone to sort of play a segment in a less meticulous fashion, but focusing more on walking us through the story/interactions, etc. *shrug*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u