What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

Finished Ultima Underworld, going on to 2. I put it off for years because I didn't think I'd like an old clunky blobber. Well, I don't think it's the greatest thing in the universe, but it was good fun and it is definitely a special game with sometimes outstanding level design.

Personally I found Labyrinth of Worlds to be a far better, tighter narrative and the slowly unlocking worlds to be a very refreshing mechanism that really rewarded exploration. The interconnectedness of the worlds and the amount of content even in Castle British itself was also quite well done.

Yeah, UU1 became a bit of a slog after level 5-6 because I was already far too powerful and understood how the rest of the game would work. As I understand it UU2 isn't just one dungeon level afer another. 

Still playing Dying Light.  I've been a complete wussy.  I haven't ventured out at night yet, except for some easy kills where a group of slow moving zombies were clustered together just outside a safe zone.  So I lobbed a molotov into their pack, and any who weren't hit immediately were soon killed when they ran over to join their friends.

The rebar weapon is strong as hell, but my guy gets tired after one swing.  So it's only really good if I'm facing one zombie.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Fallout 3. Need to get into the post-apocalypse mood so I can get my post-apocalypse novel finished.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Jumped into Divinity Original Sin. Tried several times to get into it, but got distracted quite often. Any advice on mods or builds?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Jumped into Divinity Original Sin. Tried several times to get into it, but got distracted quite often. Any advice on mods or builds?

Everything goes, basically.

I made a party with Jahan, Air and Water. Madora, two handed fighter dealing massive damage. My custom one handed w/shield warrior, that played like a paladin type character, with lots of healing skills and taking a lot of beating. I also had an archer with fire and earth magic.

It's hard to mess up, I think as long as you have a general idea of how you want to build your characters.

I made a party with Jahan, Air and Water. Madora, two handed fighter dealing massive damage. My custom one handed w/shield warrior, that played like a paladin type character, with lots of healing skills and taking a lot of beating. I also had an archer with fire and earth magic.

It's hard to mess up, I think as long as you have a general idea of how you want to build your characters.

For a frontliner, are two-handers worth it or should I go for a shield?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Two handers do well on the front line. Madora was beasting. You have to be careful at the beginning, but as long as you have potions and healing spells, you should do fine. I had my tank and her rush in first and the other two stay back. I almost feel like I could have rolled two two handed fighters and it wouldn't have mattered that much.

Two handers do well on the front line. Madora was beasting. You have to be careful at the beginning, but as long as you have potions and healing spells, you should do fine. I had my tank and her rush in first and the other two stay back. I almost feel like I could have rolled two two handed fighters and it wouldn't have mattered that much.

Alright, is it better to craft weapons or are the uniques good enough?

Alright, is it better to craft weapons or are the uniques good enough?

The thing is that they have a random loot system. You can get some bat**** insane stuff and then go for a long while without getting anything of interest. Crafting doesn't hurt, but I barely did any of it and did just fine on Normal difficulty. I'm guessing that crafting would help.

I need more mining/building/surviving or sandbox fun, but nothing else appeals.

The Forest - too unavoidably combat/horror oriented

Rising World - not far enough along yet

Frontiers - Skyrim/daggerfall sandbox? ... hmm...nah, not going anywhere yet.

Others - zombies, zombies, no building, no crafting, to far into rpg'ish territory, 2d/platformer, etc.

...is it hard to learn enough to use Unity? I should make my own game.

Edit: Hm. Looking it up, maybe it's doable (for me) with some study. No no not to sell, just something stupid for me...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I fired up Nethack 3.4.3 again the other day. No other game offers as much re-playability in my experience. I've been firing up some version of Nethack or another probably on an average of every other year since around ~86-87 when I first discovered it on a Big Blue Disk (or something very similar (at this point I forget exactly)). And I'm not alone, as after all these years there's still an active usenet group for this game.

After a few earlier failures I have succeeded in clearing Sokoban and the Gnomish mines. It's been a hard fought battle though, and not without some setbacks. Twice I would have starved if not for the grace of Thoth, and I lost my loyal pet kitty Alex to the club of an Ogre Lord in Minetown. He had been with me since the beginning and I still grieve. Goldie, my Golden Naga Hatchling, just dropped dead under mysterious circumstances, and my mind flayer pal Kitty the Cat (he used to be a cat) ate the brain of something that didn't agree with him. However, one must press on.

Now it is only my pal Frodo the Green Dragon and I. Armed with the athame Magicbane and the legendary Amulet of Reflection to protect me from the Gorgon that the Oracle told me guards against my path, I push deeper into the Catacombs in search of the Wizard of Yendor's Tower, wherein lies the sacred Book of the Dead.

Moloch be damned! I will ascend this time!

Edited by Valsuelm

What is it with developers and their obsession with making the player climb radio towers?  They're annoying, especially when you spend half the time trying to figure out which ledges you can actually jump at and which ones you can't grab.

In the middle of playing Dying Light and I'm spending most of my time trying to climb one friggin' tower because every ledge I think I can actually jump to, I can't and end up falling down and dying/restarting.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Does anyone who has played Dying Light know how the day/night cycle works?  In terms of time frame, does an hour pass after doing X activity or something?

Because I always wait until morning to do stuff (yes, I'm a wuss).  But it seems like I'll be in the process of doing a mission and suddenly I get a radio transmission from Jade telling me that I've only got an hour to go til dark.  It feels like I'd barely been at it for less than 30 minutes.

There's might be a normal day/night cycle combined with scripted events that "hurry" it.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

If you bring up the player menu or map there is a clock there which will tell you in-game time. After Jade's warning there is actually plenty of time to get to a safe zone and use the bed to skip night time.

There are some missions that can only be completed at night. The only time the day/night cycle is scripted is during the beginning introductory missions until after the first successful airdrop run and maybe 1 or 2 story events. During all other missions, including main plot missions, it's up to you when to complete them.

Edited by Fighter
  • Like 1

Mortal Kombat Kollection: I suck at fighting games. Best I've been able to do so far is make it to Goro without a gameover, but I always have at least a few from that rat fink. And then...uh...Tsang...Shung(?) usually beats the crap out of me some more. I've taken the stance of "the best defense is a good offense", but man, it's so much RNG: if they decide to block a few times in a row (which seems to be determined by equal parts luck and what attacks you've been predominantly using), it can be pretty hard to conserve health. First battle is usually a breeze, second battle is a toss up because now they're blocking all my best attacks that I used to kill them in the first battle, and the third battle (if you lose the second) is where you have to be really careful. The difficulty is so schizophrenic.

Thanks to Oerwinde giving it to me on Steam via the Great Game Giveaway!

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Does anyone who has played Dying Light know how the day/night cycle works?  In terms of time frame, does an hour pass after doing X activity or something?

Because I always wait until morning to do stuff (yes, I'm a wuss).  But it seems like I'll be in the process of doing a mission and suddenly I get a radio transmission from Jade telling me that I've only got an hour to go til dark.  It feels like I'd barely been at it for less than 30 minutes.

During the first couple missions it's scripted, meaning certain events will always happen at a certain time, regardless of how long you take to get to them.  This is done on purpose because that part of the game is essentially a tutorial and wants to show off trying to get to a safe location before night, surviving a night pursuit, etc.  After that, time flows on its own and it's completely up to you whether you want to do something during the day or the night.  Certain missions and challenges require either daytime or night time, but trying to do those won't magically move the clock, you just won't be able to do those events until it's the appropriate time in the game.

Edit: Basically what Fighter wrote.  :blush:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Another round of Xenonauts with a bunch of mods.. It's a great game, I just wish the air combat was a bit more fleshed out, it gets boring after the first 6 or so times.

Also King of Dragon Pass on the taplet.

Fortune favors the bald.

Finished Peace Walker, at least the story missions. I hope to get back for more completionist work.

On to DangonRopa, the game I got a PS TV for. Been looking forward to this.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I finally found my first gun in Dying Light.  A pistol inside a cabin where an old dude killed himself.  It's only got a couple of bullets though, so I haven't bothered to use it.

I've picked up some stronger melee weapons after setting some bandits on fire at air drops.  Kind of cheesy, but I just lob a molotov into their midst and see them burn from afar without even engaging in combat.

• Like 1