Great Storm hits USA East Coast

BruceVC

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/26/us/weather-storm/index.html

New York city  has been effectively shut down by this massive snow storm and a state of emergency has been declared in the states of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Massachusetts 

How are forum friends who live in NY doing...Vals and Gromnir spring to mind ?

They say this storm is in the worst 5 storms the east coast has ever seen

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Grommie moved?

He's West Side.

Oh, my bad. I thought Gromnir lived in NY?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Connecticut is shut down.  Gov. Malloy has issued a travel ban.  I'm home.  I got plenty of food and I got booze.  Obviously no work tomorrow, possibly no work Wednesday, depending on when this stops.  Last I checked estimations were 18-30" where I am.  I just hope my power doesn't go out.  As long as I got power I'm good to go.  I made sure my laptop is charged in case we do lose power so I at least have some contact with the outside world besides my phone.

Edit:  Made sure my flashlight is working.  (My flashlight is my bicycle light detached from the handlebar).

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Connecticut is shut down.  Gov. Malloy has issued a travel ban.  I'm home.  I got plenty of food and I got booze.  Obviously no work tomorrow, possibly no work Wednesday, depending on when this stops.  Last I checked estimations were 18-30" where I am.  I just hope my power doesn't go out.  As long as I got power I'm good to go.  I made sure my laptop is charged in case we do lose power so I at least have some contact with the outside world besides my phone.

Glad you are okay, keep us updated on developments

Do you have a generator ?

John Milton 

*reads CNN page* -- Pshaw, what a fuss over a little wind and snow. What a bunch of weather wimps.

...just kidding. ;) Stay safe over there, everyone.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Agreed. It's nothing like this one. http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/69669-california-likes-to-panic-over-a-little-rain/?hl=storm

It's too windy to sleep, so here I am instead.

Our yard's a bit of a mess, yah?
Dec-2014-Storm01.jpg

The Storm of the Century, it's starting! :biggrin:
Dec-2014-Storm02.jpg

(not my pics)
Dec-2014-Storm03.jpg

Dec-2014-Storm04.jpg

B4lcGx4CYAAzjfw.jpg

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Agreed. It's nothing like this one. http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/69669-california-likes-to-panic-over-a-little-rain/?hl=storm

It's too windy to sleep, so here I am instead.

Our yard's a bit of a mess, yah?

Dec-2014-Storm01.jpg

The Storm of the Century, it's starting! :biggrin:

Dec-2014-Storm02.jpg

(not my pics)

Dec-2014-Storm03.jpg

Dec-2014-Storm04.jpg

B4lcGx4CYAAzjfw.jpg

I'll make sure to make JOKEZ when you enjoy your wildfires in about 6 months.  :p

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

As I mentioned this storm is considered to be  one of the worst storms the USA east coast has ever seen. So its not " just  a normal storm "...its severe and has only just started so we will still have to comment on the impact in a few days 

John Milton 

Americans tend to overstate / overestimate storm damage, which one supposes is better than the other extreme. Partly because the same 5 inches of snow has a different effect on a rural/suburban home that needs to drive the kid to school from someone like me in the middle of the city. 

Nothing going on in Philly but we're the southern end of the effected zone. 

As I mentioned this storm is considered to be  one of the worst storms the USA east coast has ever seen. So its not " just  a normal storm "...its severe and has only just started so we will still have to comment on the impact in a few days 

We got hit with about 22-24" 3 years ago, and had back to back storms that put down 16" then 12-14" within a week 2 years ago, so unless this storm winds up being in the extreme upper end of the estimation (30") it won't be worse than what we've gotten recently.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

We had a little brush fire today, which made the local news. It was a whole bush, apparently. (ok, twas more than that, I just like poking fun at our news...)

I can't even imagine that much snow at once. I'd probably constantly worry about the roof, even if the roof was built with snow-state in mind.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Americans tend to overstate / overestimate storm damage, which one supposes is better than the other extreme. Partly because the same 5 inches of snow has a different effect on a rural/suburban home that needs to drive the kid to school from someone like me in the middle of the city. 

Nothing going on in Philly but we're the southern end of the effected zone. 

We got hit with about 22-24" 3 years ago, and had back to back storms that put down 16" then 12-14" within a week 2 years ago, so unless this storm winds up being in the extreme upper end of the estimation (30") it won't be worse than what we've gotten recently.

Fair enough, also I suppose there may be a tendency from CNN to embellish the impact a little so hopefully it won't be as severe as they are predicting 

John Milton 

Look at it this way, to southern Californians a storm like this would be the end of the world, to a Minnesotan, this would be a joke and we should stop being such p*****s.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Seventy degrees in January is just the Rocky Mountain way of saying you're about to be effed inside an ice storm. Warm before the storm.  

Or, not. Siri just told me Denver will be mild all next week, except Saturday. Thanks Obama. 

Edited by ManifestedISO
  • Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

There's been about a couple of 'the worst storms the USA east coast has ever seen.' every year for the last few years. It's total BS really.

A couple of feet of snow is generally not that big a deal in the northeast. It's not exactly unusual in most places northeast of Maryland. Yay for skiers.

The hysteria in the media and governmental decrees of insanity that seem to occur more and more these last few years never really happened a decade or more ago. It's pretty ridiculous really that a winter storm here is making international news. And really, it's not that exceptional a storm.

The last really bad winter storm I recall happening was in late December of 2000. That was a massive ice storm that encapsulated states from Oklahoma to New England in ice, and shut things down all over (as it brought power lines down all over). I was actually driving cross country at the time as saw some pretty wild stuff (note they never actually closed the roads back then for any great length of time, if at all; that's a relatively new and disgusting imo phenomenon).

Edited by Valsuelm
  • Like 1

people got odd notions about US weather.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2013/05/16/extreme-weather-north-america/2162501/

as for CA

http://www.livescience.com/30097-the-snowiest-places-on-earth.html

and

one o' the places on earth with most snow is a 3 hour drive from arguably the mecca o' big wave surfing.  you could surf until 8 am and still manage to get an afternoon pass at kirkwood.

even so, we do hate drivers in the valley and socal.  most such folks don't know how to drive in any kinda weather other than sunny and clear. have lived in other places since our graduation from universities, but we always end up back in cali. worst part o' being out here is trying to find a decent pizza place.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

No going to work because of snow. Lucky bastard. 

I'm getting paid for the day(s) too.  So as long as the power doesn't go out, lucky bastard indeed.

We has a freak storm about 5 years ago at the end of October (which is extremely early to be getting snow here).  The temp was just above freezing when the storm hit.  Had it been colder it would likely have been at least 2 feet of fluffy snow (and far less damage) but because of the temperature we got about 14" of heavy, wet, water saturated snow.  It took down trees all over the state, which in turn took down power lines.  Power outages all over the state.  Where I was living (different town than where I live now), power was out in the entire town for 3 days, and I mean the entire town, everything.  After 3 days some of the town was running, after 5 days much of the town had power, where I lived the power was out for a full week.  That sucked.  Highs in the mid 40s lows in the mid 20s.  No electricity, no heat, no hot water for 7 days.  Those first 3 days when I wanted a warm meal I jury rigged a stand to put a can of soup on and put a candle underneath it to heat it up.  Only about an hour and a half of "cooking" and the soup was kinda warm.  After the first 3 days at least I could walk somewhere to get a warm meal even if it was Burger King (in that situation I wasn't being choosy).  That was a rough week.

On a related note, I hate Connecticut.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Snow in crowded urban areas makes things a nightmare, here in Toronto nothing flows smoothly ever. Glad to see it wasn't too bad for NYC and was not an ice storm - those are fun

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra