Character Race  

136 members have voted

1. 1. What race will you play with first in PoE?

• Aumaua
    • Dwarf
    • Elf
    • Godlike
    • Human
    • Orlan
  2. 2. In RPGs, do you ever play with the dimunative races? (halfing, gnome etc.)

• Never
    • Only if I have a party of 6 to work with
    • I might role one for a main character
    • Often

As the poll says, I'm curious about what race you like to play and I'm specifically wondering if anyone ever bothers rolling a halfing or gnome.

If I'm playing IWD, where you can make a party of six, then I try to include a variety of races for fun and balance. But when I only have a single character, I'm usually pretty boring, and go human. And I can't see myself every playing a dimunative race. Maybe because I'm short in real life and don't want to carry it over into my gaming(笑)

I have never been able to play as any of the small races in any game. And I wont play as a human if there are other races to choose from. In DnD games I usually play as a half elf or tiefling if given the option. So my first character in pillars is definitely going to be a godlike. 

• Like 1

Break beneath the endless tide - monk

Where's the "Very rarely" option? There's "Often", but not "Always", and there's "Never", but not "Rarely".

It's extremely uncommon that I actually roll up a gnome or a halfling, but it has happened.

I can't vote, but I'm starting with a Godlike (...I can't get over how much I dislike that "name" though).

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

I'll be rolling a Godlike first. Its more of a question of which of my two planned characters do I want to go with first.

Celes, Moon Godlike from Old Vailia, former slave. Wizard, uses pistols. 

Clover, Nature Godlike from The White that Wends Druid Mystic, uses spears or pikes I think.

I've only played a dwarf in Dragon Age Origins. It was amazing, but mostly because she got to be an exiled princess. I have a thing for that sort of story.

I'm short and a bit overweight in real life and enjoy playing dwarves in video games. They usually are more heavy set than other races and it's pretty fun to play a character who looks a bit like you, but is ten times more badass.

I don't like playing REALLY small races like gnomes/Chua/Asura, because it feels weird. Camera to close to the floor, proportions of the body are very odd and the typical "quirky" race personality is annoying ot me.

Also, I like playing very tall and muscular races like orcs, aumaua and so on, simply because it's also fun to imagine myself to be like that. 

This time I'm playing an orlan rogue, because you got to mix things up every once in a while. Not a huge fan of orlan appearance, but I really like their lore. 

Pale Elf Ciper for my main playthrough

Probably a Dwarf Paladin or Monk  on the hardest diffuculty playthrough. 

I don't have any problem playing a race diminutive in physical stature if I decide to play as a brawler or thief type character. Anything else its elf or equivalent. 

I'll play as a white male. It's the easiest setting.

Ah, a fellow purist. I tend to prefer it not because it's the easiest setting, but because it's the only rollup that gets no mechanical system benefits. It gives a lot of freedom without pigeon-holing.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

I'm going to roll a Hearth Orlan Barbarian on my first playthrough. Also going to put Kana Rua in my party. Dunno about the rest of the companions, but I'm definately going to go with a party of 6. Might add in an Adventurer's Hall Paladin into the fray too but... I do want to experience all the VIP companions first :)

Edited by Osvir

First NWN main was halfling (rogue) although I prefer monstrous races (practically begged for a goblin in D:OS but it never happened). I have just always wanted a game where I could play a goblin or orc or troll with the same depth as a human or elf. Doesn't ever really happen (AoW3 ♡). So looking forward to my Wild Orlan cipher (if ranger isn't fixed) experience.

First playthrough will be with Aumaua Wizard as a main character (always starting with magic classes ;) ).

As for the reason - i take race which have the best stats/abilities for specific class or from the story/role-playing view is the coolest/most appropriate. In this case its obviously the former.

And due to this I do sometimes play as halflings (thiefs) and gnomes (mages) - e.g. in NWN series. 

I can't vote, but I'm starting with a Godlike (...I can't get over how much I dislike that "name" though).

Heh. I don't mind it so much. I just hate whenever "godlikes" is used as the plural. It hurts my soul.

But, I'm not sure what else they'd call them, in general, that wouldn't sound silly. To convey the same idea, I mean. The Deitylike? The Goddish? Those Who Resemble The Gods? The Divine?

In seriousness, though, maybe they could be called Branded? Or some other variant of something that means "marked"? 'Cause, if you were going to call a... sort-of-race of people something, based on this commonality, it would be, most simply, "Marked by the gods." The Heavenfell? *further shrugging*.

Maybe there's something better out there. I'm not sure.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I tend to play small races. They just look cool to me.

I just hope they make way more Orlan portraits (will be hard to find custom ones that fit). Sawyer mentioned how much he liked the portraits for Shadowrun (where you can choose different facial hair, skin tones, etc); I hope they do something like that for Orlans.

In seriousness, though, maybe they could be called Branded? Or some other variant of something that means "marked"? 'Cause, if you were going to call a... sort-of-race of people something, based on this commonality, it would be, most simply, "Marked by the gods." The Heavenfell? *further shrugging*.

Godsmacked. ::drops microphone::

• Like 2

Probably going human first playthrough in PoE  (just for a 'base' play as it were).  Then orlan.

In D&D I'll usually go half-elf in my first playthrough and then others if it's worth a replay.  Unless it's like IWD / EOB where you roll a whole team, then I'll have a mix of human/elf/dwarf/halfling/whatever.

In BG - 1st was half-elf fighter-mage, 2nd human assassin, 3rd human druid,4th elf archer, ...

In NWN2, my first was half-elf ranger-rogue.  2nd was halfling sorceress.  Then my PC died. ... I mean the desktop, not the main character :lol:  (luckily, just managed to get a new one after 6 months of being without).

Rarely roll a dwarf for my main but always like to have one in the team.  Gnomes, I can take or leave (Jan Jansen was fun).  Halflings get a play sometimes, depending on the game.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Heh. I don't mind it so much. I just hate whenever "godlikes" is used as the plural. It hurts my soul.

But, I'm not sure what else they'd call them, in general, that wouldn't sound silly. To convey the same idea, I mean. The Deitylike? The Goddish? Those Who Resemble The Gods? The Divine?

Maybe there's something better out there. I'm not sure.

Branded, Marked, Godstouched, or just something in-universe made-up like the Orlan, Belgarn (from the old Aedyrian bel, "God" and garn, "to touch" or "to be touched"; yes, I made that up right here on the spot).  It really doesn't matter, but "Godlike" just sounds stupid. It reminds me of every rogue ever named Bloodkiller, except it applies to an entire species.

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

You've read too much David Eddings when you are using the bel syllable. Anyways, branded sounds like a adjective used with horses, but maybe the real meaning is lost in translation (to german) wink.png

Poppy****! There is no such thing as reading too much David Eddings!

That being said, it wasn't intended as an entirely serious suggestion, merely an example. And yeah, branded is really the same thing, in this context branded by the gods, same as how cattle or horses are marked, so too is the childe touched by the gods branded, marked as theirs, their soul suffused by the divine and the profane in equal measure.

Almost anything sounds better than "Godlike".

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Well as for "Godlike" - the similar race was in NWN - Planetouched (wchich were subdivided into air/earth/fire/water genasi, Aasimars and Thieflings). They could also use name "Celestial" or some name which already exists in RPG lore (like Aasimar or Deva for instance) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_planar_races) or create brand new name for them.