Longevity - resting, HP/endurance, fatigue, spell/ability conservation, etc.

Odd Hermit

How are people finding this aspect of the game?

Right now I'm doing a lot of backtracking playing on hard difficulty. While I've always got some characters who could go another few battles, your party is often only as good as that spellcaster with nothing good left.

I feel like casters could definitely use more per-encounter options - maybe they have a maximum spell pool and a minimum or something rather than going completely dry. I understand at high levels we'll get low level spells as per-encounter, but by high levels I expect that won't mean a whole lot.

The no-healing aspect of the game hasn't weighed very heavily into my decision making as a result of my limited spells.

Perhaps I'm crutching on my spell casters too much or I have a too caster-heavy group.

Right now I'm doing a lot of backtracking playing on hard difficulty. While I've always got some characters who could go another few battles, your party is often only as good as that spellcaster with nothing good left.

I feel like casters could definitely use more per-encounter options - maybe they have a maximum spell pool and a minimum or something rather than going completely dry. I understand at high levels we'll get low level spells as per-encounter, but by high levels I expect that won't mean a whole lot.

The no-healing aspect of the game hasn't weighed very heavily into my decision making as a result of my limited spells.

Perhaps I'm crutching on my spell casters too much or I have a too caster-heavy group.

Just use camping supplies more.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I played through on PoD and required 5 sets of camping supplies and maybe 3 rests at the inn. With the beetles and the ghosts forcing the majority of the rests (the boss creatures with there 100+ def/ref/fort/will). Considering they're the most unbalanced opponents in the beta it seemed reasonable to me.

You get a bonus for sleeping at the inns, which is a nice thing, but after a while you have to rest "in the wild" anyway, and past that, you really can rest all you want. Camping supplies are very much like the Injury Kits in Dragon Age: Origins, it's really just a gold tax that is insignificant in the grand scope of things.

The whole no-healing thing really doesn't mean jack squat; I can't remember them being really useful in the IE games either, and in the IE games, you could die, so /shrug.

t50aJUd.jpg

Well that sounds right since for first 3 months we all complained that you run out of health before running out of spells.

You get a bonus for sleeping at the inns, which is a nice thing, but after a while you have to rest "in the wild" anyway, and past that, you really can rest all you want. Camping supplies are very much like the Injury Kits in Dragon Age: Origins, it's really just a gold tax that is insignificant in the grand scope of things.

Except that you can only carry a limited number. Once you run out, you have to trek back to buy more. That's a pretty significant difference.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Except that you can only carry a limited number. Once you run out, you have to trek back to buy more. That's a pretty significant difference.

Fair point. I'm not sure I'd call it significant, but it is a difference.

t50aJUd.jpg

I don't have much of an issue with casters running out of spells before the other party members are ready to rest but my spell casters use regular attacks as much or sometimes more than spells in fights that are not going south on me. Most are ranged attackers but I occasionally use BB Priest in melee usually with a reach weapon from behind the front line - I play on Normal tho so that may well enter into this.

Regarding camping I have not had an issue with that in the beta but it will be interesting to see if there are an unlimited number of camping kits available in the full game and how far one must travel to get some - especially in the massive dungeon. I have found it very useful that the rest bonus from inns lasts until your rest again it will be interesting to see whether or not the gold supply is such that one can almost always afford them when available. 

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...