It's using a second-order Markov chain model built from the list of characters in the game, so it's trying to mimic the structure of the names in the game, in terms of what characters usually follow certain other characters.

The one I got a couple times while testing was 'Car'  :getlost:

• Like 4

It's using a second-order Markov chain model built from the list of characters in the game, so it's trying to mimic the structure of the names in the game, in terms of what characters usually follow certain other characters.

Yeah,  I think that the 3 letter state space is probably fairly small ...  How does the 2nd letter in the word get picked?  I'm assuming since there's not two previous states (characters)  the engine defaults to a first order chain then?

Or, I guess you could start with random two letters...

So when do we get a markov-chain based AI? :)

Edited by tdphys

For fun, I added an Eternity option to my random name generator.  It'll give you some mishmash of a name based on the names of the characters in the game, which might not be good if you care about the particulars of the individual cultures.  Also, you might end up with the name of an actual character in the game, which would be awkward when meeting them (that's fairly unlikely, though).

This. Is. Amazing.

Thank you :D :D is this something you consider having in-game (expansive or vanilla?) or is it going to be out-of-game (Browser based on your random generator, as is, basically). Can there be a link or similar in-game in character creator (a tooltip perhaps a la "Having trouble coming up with a name? Check this link!")?

EDIT: Also, if meeting someone with the same name that wouldn't be awkward really. Unless it is a world where everyone has a unique name, if I'd name my main character "Edér" I can easily abstract it as "It's not a super rare and unique name that there's only 1 unique Edér".

Storywise though, I get it. In books and stories there's almost never more than 1 of [Name] as it gets easier for the reader to distuingish who is who.

In Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate 2, though, I thought it was more infuriating to meet a character with the same portrait (which often resulted in a reset/new character/start from beginning, during my early days & my first impressions of the titles).

A face is unique, a name is often not.

Edited by Osvir

For fun, I added an Eternity option to my random name generator.  It'll give you some mishmash of a name based on the names of the characters in the game, which might not be good if you care about the particulars of the individual cultures.  Also, you might end up with the name of an actual character in the game, which would be awkward when meeting them (that's fairly unlikely, though).

I just ran the video game name generator and got: NFL GameDay 2000 Series Baseball 2K12.  I laughed for a good three minutes, I give this word generator thing the Karky Stamp of Approval!

• Like 2

You get 1000D20 geek points for knowing what a Markov chain is, and using it build a name generator. I'm impressed. Also, I got:

Dragon Age: The Game -- Imagine a DA that is actually a game, instead of just a cutscene connector!

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Bah, I doubt you know how to tell the difference between a salad fork and a dessert fork, you barbarian.

Not only do I know this, but I've invented and hand-crafted no fewer than 7 other types of fork. All meals at my estate are served with 9 forks and a complimentary monocle, 6_u...

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

One of the names i got was Wrd, pretty cool thing though.

• Like 1

Bah, I doubt you know how to tell the difference between a salad fork and a dessert fork, you barbarian.

Not only do I know this, but I've invented and hand-crafted no fewer than 7 other types of fork. All meals at my estate are served with 9 forks and a complimentary monocle, 6_u...

You work with your hands? Your own hands? Is that not what servants are for? Fancy men cannot risk sullying their own hands for such trifles. Nine forks would be a ghastly breach of polite protocol, but at least you attempt to make up for your barbaric dining practices by supplying monocles. Next thing you'll tell me, you entertain folk that work AND eat with their hands!

• Like 1

I played around with the Rinkworks fantasy name generator for a half hour and whipped up a Rauatai proper noun generator. Many of them will look strange, but if you press F5 enough you should eventually see "Kana", "Rua", "Rauatai", "Aumaua", and "Mahoa" show up, so it'll come up with names that are consistent to the setting at least some of the time.

That's a neat site.  My next Aumaua character shall be 'Mo'.  :p

You work with your hands? Your own hands? Is that not what servants are for? Fancy men cannot risk sullying their own hands for such trifles. Nine forks would be a ghastly breach of polite protocol, but at least you attempt to make up for your barbaric dining practices by supplying monocles. Next thing you'll tell me, you entertain folk that work AND eat with their hands!

... I take it you don't refer to your entire estate as "I"? So sorry for the confusion. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

... I take it you don't refer to your entire estate as "I"? So sorry for the confusion. :)

I work with my hands. I feel pretty fancy. Occasionally possibly almost dandy. It gives me strong forearms and a confidence I have yet to find for sale anywhere.

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

I prefer to clearly separate myself from my lessers. Your apologies are a reflection of your graciousness. You have truly exquisite manners.

I work with my hands. I feel pretty fancy. Occasionally possibly almost dandy. It gives me strong forearms and a confidence I have yet to find for sale anywhere.

I would wager your clothing is stained with sweat. Shameful, really. Lephys and I have people that work our muscles for us. Fancy men cannot be bothered with sweating.

• Like 1