The Pillars of Eternity wiki is probably the best place for it. You can also try asking Josh Sawyer specific questions directly on his tumblr.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Aedyran

http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

In fact, I wouldn't mind if the game suggested appropriate names during character creation, in the vein of CK2 character editor.

Yeah. That would be a nifty option. I Doubt they'll be implementing it for release. Maybe in a future patch or in the expansion? 

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

I've always been fond of Carlos the Dwarf myself.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 3

Yea. Roger just doesn't quite fit.

You can always look up variants of that name. 'Hrodger' should fit nicely. I'm being told that it's old germanic.

For the record, my first character will be named Avery (if from Aedyr) or Charlotte (if from Vailia), I haven't quite decided yet.

Edited by Magnificate
  • Like 1

Yea. Roger just doesn't quite fit.

You can always look up variants of that name. 'Hrodger' should fit nicely. I'm being told that it's old germanic.

You could make it a bit more noble, like Hrothgar.

Fnord.

I believe in the PAX stream it'll show the names that I created for that party.

Though I forgot what they were I remember being amused by them as I saw them.

I tend to use that Behind the name website if I am particulary dry on ideas for a particular culture's name.

I tend to use that Behind the name website if I am particulary dry on ideas for a particular culture's name.

Laura, Gwen and Greg I remember.

I am terrible at coming up with character names. I always wind up naming them Gfted. :(

You and me both. Well, except for the Gfted part. I have my own oft-repeated thingies. ;)

When I do get creative it's usually in the form of some play-on-spelling joke name or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Guest Matt Sheets

Laura, Gwen and Greg I remember.

Missing Sylvester and two others.

I don't know how, or why, but they just come to me. Really great character names, unique, dynamic, interesting. It's like they're already alive and they whisper who they are. Usually six to eight letters, good mix of vowels and consonants, plus setting-appropriate and generally mysterious and/or intriguing. It's like I'm a vessel channeling exceptional monikers. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

I'm never sure whether it's expected to come up with just one name, or a first and last name.

• Like 1

I don't know how, or why, but they just come to me. Really great character names, unique, dynamic, interesting. It's like they're already alive and they whisper who they are. Usually six to eight letters, good mix of vowels and consonants, plus setting-appropriate and generally mysterious and/or intriguing. It's like I'm a vessel channeling exceptional monikers.

In a very forced combo of French and English, purely for the purposes of this joke working, you are...

The Nom-duit!

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

For fun, I added an Eternity option to my random name generator.  It'll give you some mishmash of a name based on the names of the characters in the game, which might not be good if you care about the particulars of the individual cultures.  Also, you might end up with the name of an actual character in the game, which would be awkward when meeting them (that's fairly unlikely, though).

• Like 14

Man, I love doing stuff like this myself though usually I go with established character names. Still, it warms my heart to see people give care to their names and as a result love to their characters. Tired of seeing "Loordawesome333" as a character name. >.> Granted, really only though it was an MMO thing but then I see people doing it in videos for dragon age inquisition and ect and I'm like... what?

• Like 1

For fun, I added an Eternity option to my random name generator.  It'll give you some mishmash of a name based on the names of the characters in the game, which might not be good if you care about the particulars of the individual cultures.  Also, you might end up with the name of an actual character in the game, which would be awkward when meeting them (that's fairly unlikely, though).

I ran 3500 names and got a few repeats :)  (Elf showed up alot ?)

Does the generator actually mix names together?  or is it a random selection?