Suggestion - Pick Ability OR Talent on level up instead of alternating.

Yeah well basically as the topic tittle says, I am suggesting that on level up you can pick an ability or a talent, instead of alternating between the two. This will open up for more ways of building your character, and as is some class specific talents could just as well have been abilities. There can still of course be the level limitations on picking the abilities, but having the choice of picking a talent instead of an ability you don't want, or vice verca, gives the player more freedom of choice and customization.

Or increase the frequency of these, at a certain point I would like my character to be really distinctive in playstyle. I think that's only possible if the number of abilities/talents you get to pick increases.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Sounds cool on paper and I know what you are going for but it is not something they should do.  It either results in OP characters who have only the best of the best of everything or in characters who suck cause the person making them ignored key picks and went all over the place.  The system as it exists now prevents out right grognarding and helps protect people from making truly suck tastic builds.

Sounds cool on paper and I know what you are going for but it is not something they should do.  It either results in OP characters who have only the best of the best of everything or in characters who suck cause the person making them ignored key picks and went all over the place.  The system as it exists now prevents out right grognarding and helps protect people from making truly suck tastic builds.

I admit that I don't possess the far sight to reveal to me, the particular ramifications of my suggested implementation. I however do not think that characters are going to be particularly OP (even if they do a bit does it matter? it is single player after all).

It is as is still really easy to make bad decisions with what talents and abilities you get, and I don't think opening up with more opportunity will make that much of a difference in that regard. I think even sometimes having the limitations can make it more difficult to make the right decision because you can't see the abilities and talents next to each other.

I don't know, I would just like the freedom of choice, and the opportunity to make as varied builds as possible. more to play around with, tinker and stuff.

• Like 1

Yeah well basically as the topic tittle says, I am suggesting that on level up you can pick an ability or a talent, instead of alternating between the two. This will open up for more ways of building your character, and as is some class specific talents could just as well have been abilities. There can still of course be the level limitations on picking the abilities, but having the choice of picking a talent instead of an ability you don't want, or vice verca, gives the player more freedom of choice and customization

I doubt this will happen as when skill points were made part of the talent system, some of us suggested having talents which only gave you skill points (like +3 mechanics). Instead Obsidian went back to the old skill point system. A lot of people who wanted the old skill point system back mentioned the noncombat/combat skill separation which was laid out during the Kickstarter campaign.

I want to explore what's possible. See if certain concepts work. I feel like with the current structure, I can't develop a well rounded playstyle before I hit the level cap. The level cap is going to take a while to reach, and then you only have access to six abilities and six talents. That feels on the light side to me.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

The system is fine as is. We just need more class abilities to add more build variety.

I agree with you completely, more abilities would be awesome (more talents as well please) more options is the core of the suggestion. And as fine as the system is, I just think it could be even better with more freedom of choice.

I want to explore what's possible. See if certain concepts work. I feel like with the current structure, I can't develop a well rounded playstyle before I hit the level cap. The level cap is going to take a while to reach, and then you only have access to six abilities and six talents. That feels on the light side to me.

I feel you but there is no change even if you do it as OP suggests.  In your example it is still 12 choices, just now you could have 12 abilities or 12 talents or any combination there of which probably will lead to a less balanced character than just splitting them up.

I do agree we need more talents and some classes are a little light on the abilities side.

• Like 3