PAX South 2015 live thread

While I'm still not a fan of combat music in general (whine whine), I liked that track a good deal better than the other one we've heard (in the BB).

Probably because a chunk of it sounds like it was lifted directly from the BG2 intro track. :grin:

Not that some fan service call backs are bad.

It's a shame that no one asked about things that are still (for some people) considered issues within the game e.g. droid army or combat/attribute system. I was hoping that someone who spent a lot of time with the beta would be there and ask questions. For me most of the questions weren't really interesting. Although I'm happy that they'll try to do an "AI" for your party in the expansion.

It's because most people care about what kind of game it is and what they can do while playing it rather than its technical issues.

Edited by Sedrefilos

It's a shame that no one asked about things that are still (for some people) considered issues within the game e.g. droid army or combat/attribute system. I was hoping that someone who spent a lot of time with the beta would be there and ask questions. For me most of the questions weren't really interesting. Although I'm happy that they'll try to do an "AI" for your party in the expansion.

It's because most people care about what kind of game it is and what they can do while playing it rather than its technical issues.

Don't get me wrong. I don't _really_ care (and didn't even notice it before it was mentioned here) if my party moves like the so called "droid army" or if one attribute rules all others. But it would have been interesting to hear what the devs think about those "issues".

Edited by Shiroco

Don't get me wrong. I don't _really_ care (and didn't even notice it before it was mentioned here) if my party moves like the so called "droid army" or if one attribute rules all others. But it would have been interesting to hear what the devs think about those "issues".

The droid army issue has been acknowledged and added to their tracker. Whether or not it will be fixed remains to be seen.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It pretty much proves the point that the forums have a tiny vocal minority who care about stuff, that the vast majority of the pop couldn't care less about. The forum represent some thing like 1-0.5% of the total backers and if the game sells as well as Divinity Original Sin then the current forums will probably represent something like 0.03% of the players.

Couple of things that caught my attention in the stream.

1) The summoned Skeleton army! Just like BG1. Sweet.

2) At least twice in this stream Chris Avellone pointed out that the thing he loves most about the kickstarter process was how it gave him "the freedom to interact directly with the fans, and to discuss design decisions/ideas with them" - a freedom he says he doesn't have with publisher-funded game development. Ok, that's an odd statement coming from him. I've never seen him on here discussing anything with us. Not once. Have you? And because of the CIA-like gag-order that's been placed on PoE's narrative, even the rare media interviews he's given have seemed a bit void of PoE-specific content, and no different at all from how things would be if there was a giant publisher in charge.

• Spell effects are pretty cool but I understand the cluster**** concerns going on in the beta forums.
They've drastically reduced that cluster**** feel of combat over the past few months with each Beta update. Right now the only thing left for them to do is to tone down the spell visuals a few notches and that criticism would cease all together. They're way too visually.... overbearing at the moment. Edited by Stun
  • Like 5

Couple of things that caught my attention in the stream.

1) The summoned Skeleton army! Just like BG1. Sweet.

2) At least twice in this stream Chris Avellone pointed out that the thing he loves most about the kickstarter process was how it gave him "the freedom to interact directly with the fans, and to discuss design decisions/ideas with them" - a freedom he says he doesn't have with publisher-funded game development. Ok, that's an odd statement coming from him. I've yet to see him on here discussing anything with us. Not once. Have you? And because of the CIA-like gag-order that's been placed on PoE's narrative, even the rare media interviews he's given have seemed a bit void of PoE-specific content, and no different at all from how things would be if there was a giant publisher in charge.

It's a fair complaint, but I think the reason he's not here is much less cloak & dagger than you're making it out to be.

The guys we hear from are mostly team leaders - Sawyer, Adler, and Brennecke. They're directly involved in the day-to-day of getting PoE out, and they're established themselves as point of contact with the backers. I suspect...

1) Avellone's writing work was over and done with months ago, so he doesn't have much to say about current status.

2) There's not much he can say about what he did without spoiling content.

3) This is Sawyer's baby. Avellone doesn't want to step on the project director's toes by blabbing about design philosophy.

Wait until it releases. I think tongues will loosen after that.

• Like 1

Party members and controllable NPC movements behave like synchronous swimmers when given movement orders while grouped together.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

what do you mean about droid army?

The jarring synchronized walking when you move your party from one point to the other.

You know, everyone's right and left legs move in perfect lock-step.

Edited by Stun

darnet, Adam was saying something right about 37:00 into the stream about something he did for companions and the stream garbled up his reply, does anyone know what he was talking about? I was very interested in his response.

I believe he was referring to a pop up or icon on a companion portrait that indicates that he/she wants to chat.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

darnet, Adam was saying something right about 37:00 into the stream about something he did for companions and the stream garbled up his reply, does anyone know what he was talking about? I was very interested in his response.

It was garbled for me too but it sounded like a button on the companion portrait that allows you to say "not now" when companions want to talk to you.

• Like 1

That party of chanters though.

I've always wanted to try running with an all chanter or paladin group with all their buffs stacking on top of each other.

Great talk, questions, even some discussions too. The game looks as great as ever. It was a nice presentation, more excitement, nice areas, exploration and combat felt a bit smoother and even understandable. I laughed a lot too haha :D

Here's the entire thing

Hahaaha! I'm totally going to play a Necro Chanter group on my second or third playthrough :D (non-VIP companion playthrough) that sort of party really does make me wonder how a Pillars of Eternity+Master of Magic hybrid type game could work. RTwP exploration, isometric exploration, with 4X elements :D
  • Like 7

Great presentation, getting more and more hyped for the game now. There is some damn nice looking backgrounds in this game (best of any iso RPG yet) and I have grown to be a fan of those "text adventure" type things almost to the point of wanting more of them in the game. I would have to agree with what some other people said, when you do these presentations have someone play the game that is an 'expert' at it. It's a bit awkward having someone up on stage playing it that isn't very good...

Edited by Bli1942

2) At least twice in this stream Chris Avellone pointed out that the thing he loves most about the kickstarter process was how it gave him "the freedom to interact directly with the fans, and to discuss design decisions/ideas with them" - a freedom he says he doesn't have with publisher-funded game development. Ok, that's an odd statement coming from him. I've never seen him on here discussing anything with us. Not once. Have you? And because of the CIA-like gag-order that's been placed on PoE's narrative, even the rare media interviews he's given have seemed a bit void of PoE-specific content, and no different at all from how things would be if there was a giant publisher in charge.

Avellone interacts with people in twitter, conventions and other events where he has been promoting and displaying PoE. He also has given lots of interviews to bloggers and fan communities. So from his perspective he has much more interaction with fans than what he has had in previous games that he has worked with, even though he don't interact with them in these forums. 

• Like 2

Avellone interacts with people in twitter, conventions and other events where he has been promoting and displaying PoE. He also has given lots of interviews to bloggers and fan communities. So from his perspective he has much more interaction with fans than what he has had in previous games that he has worked with, even though he don't interact with them in these forums.

You'd think that their own forums intended for Beta and developmental feedback would be more relevant, though. It's not really interaction if there's no inter-. Especially Sawyer is notably absent, sequestered away in his $10 ivory tower of selective feedback, but Avellone's comments are interesting because he mentions discussing design ideas and decisions with the fans, yet I can't say that I've ever seen him on here, the place intended for such.

One-lining over Twitter hardly constitutes a discussion and it's odd and jarring to see these people saying these things, yet in reality completely ignore their own forums like the plague.

• Like 3

t50aJUd.jpg