For the Expansion: Belt Quivers!

a relative slow death from infection?  we lost the battle, but less than a week later, a goodly number o' their (pick the "their" of your choice) folks injured by our arrows died due to bacterial infection du jour? so,  neener neener?

HA! Good Fun!

Not the most useful thing for a single battle but useful for a war, especially if you ran away after shooting them.

^^^ I think you'd need to have a theory of contagion to understand that is even a suitable tactic. I've read that siege warfare tactics included tossing diseased cattle into a fort in the hope of killing people, but I'm not sure that would translate into knowing that coating arrow heads in the mouths of Kimodo Dragons could infect people. In the middle ages, the miasma theory held sway instead, and it was used as recently as the 19th century to explain epidemics.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

putting the arrow on the left side of the bow while holding it with the right hand does not really require 2 moves come to think of it. you just push the arrow diagonaly forward between the shaft and the string then pull back to attach it to the string. if you keep the bow slightly tilted, like the indian in the picture, you can do it fast and easy. however, for speed shooting its better how he does it

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

a relative slow death from infection?  we lost the battle, but less than a week later, a goodly number o' their (pick the "their" of your choice) folks injured by our arrows died due to bacterial infection du jour? so,  neener neener?

*shrug*

'Twas mainly a joke. But, on a serious note, if I'm not mistaken, people die from komodo dragon bites in something like the same day if not immediately treated.

They're rather unique in that regard, in that they have some ridiculous concoction of bacteria in their mouths compared to pretty much any other creature ever. I think they often kill animals by simply biting them one good time, then casually waiting around, conserving their energy, for an hour or two, until their prey is incapacitated at the very least, if not dead.

Let's just say this: a Ranger with a komodo dragon companion would be a frightening thing. :)

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Infection from arrow wounds was a recognised thing, but was usually caused by the foul clothing (sweaty, filthy, lice infested gambeson or whatever,) being pushed into the wound by the arrowhead. One of the reasons Genghis Khan gave his soldiers silk shirts apparently, so that arrows may be removed cleanly and easily from the wound. Not sure of the truth of this, but that's the myth.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2013/06/27/the-myth-of-the-komodo-dragons-dirty-mouth/

seems as if bacteria is a negligible factor, and even komodo dragon venom is not lethal in and of itself... the venom prevents clotting, which causes critters to bleed out faster due to the massive wounds the critter causes.

stuff like bacterial toxins on arrows don't strike us as a particular useful battlefield approach.  the incidence o' lethal infection from weapon wounds were already extreme high previous to mid-late 1800s anyways.  hope some % o' already wounded folks will drop dead at some point in the future?

"if you noticed, he doesnt just pull the bowstring back, but also pushes the bow itself forward, effectivelly halving the time needed for every shot and the strain on each arm"

if speed were our only goal, we would applaud the approach, but armed with a bow with even a moderate heavy draw, we can't imagine that such an approach would help our aim.  sure, in a video with potential innumerable takes wherein the archer is aiming at fixed targets, we can see usefulness.  just don't seem practical based on our experience... though again, our experience were hunting.

regardless, as we noted already, we don't see much value from the video other than a nifty trick-shooting exhibition.

HA! Good Fun! 

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2013/06/27/the-myth-of-the-komodo-dragons-dirty-mouth/

seems as if bacteria is a negligible factor, and even komodo dragon venom is not lethal in and of itself... the venom prevents clotting, which causes critters to bleed out faster due to the massive wounds the critter causes.

stuff like bacterial toxins on arrows don't strike us as a particular useful battlefield approach.  the incidence o' lethal infection from weapon wounds were already extreme high previous to mid-late 1800s anyways.  hope some % o' already wounded folks will drop dead at some point in the future?

Ahh. I didn't know that. I can't believe that's such a prevalent myth, as the thing I learned it from was a documentary-style feature on them. That's interesting that they actually have venom, though. That could still be an interesting venom to have in an RPG, actually.

As for the infection-as-a-killer notion... yeah, unless it could kill very quickly (a matter of an hour or so), or, at the very least, incapacitate that quickly, it wouldn't be of much use in anything but a very drawn out war, or a siege or something. Not in immediate combat.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

It wasn't common because it was only useful in long drawn out conflicts and for intimidation, but some archers such as the Scythians and the Japanese under Nobunaga used excrement (Both animal and human) on their arrows for delayed but deadly results. Against small sorties and during a first engagement it does a lot of damage to morale.

Biological warfare!

tetanus is actual a very useful example.  get a puncture wound with a rust or poop covered instrument and you may suffer from tetanus. one could, we s'pose, make sure that tetanus were present on an arrowhead and thus increase chance o' infection.  is not an airborne pathogen, so is something with which one could reasonable safe coat your arrows... though that would no doubt be o' small comfort to some o' the inevitable accidental friendly victims. is not contagious, so again, you ain't gonna accidental wipe out your own people when infecting the opposition.  however, even for something as virulent as tetanus, the % o' folks exposed v. the % o' folks who show symptoms is nowhere near 100%.  we sees numbers such as 11%? the time between infection and showing o' symptoms is averaging a week, so is clear not a useful single battle option, but even long term, how much more lethal is a tetanus arrow than an ordinary one?  

dunno.  psychological impact may be more significant than actual casualties from infection.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

dunno.  psychological impact may be more significant than actual casualties from infection.

Especially in certain historical eras, when you could just claim it was sorcery. :)

"Crap! Even if we WIN a battle, all our people keep dying!"

"Uhh, sir, really only about 20 people have died from..."

"THEY'RE DEMONS! OBVIOUSLY! WE'RE ALL DOOMED!"

Especially in certain historical eras, when you could just claim it was sorcery. :)

"Crap! Even if we WIN a battle, all our people keep dying!"

"Uhh, sir, really only about 20 people have died from..."

"THEY'RE DEMONS! OBVIOUSLY! WE'RE ALL DOOMED!"

Also helps if you have rep for being a monster: Nobunaga earned the nickname 'Demon King'.