Why ban our pretty lady thread?

Sarex

It was the best thread in off-topic that had any staying power on the front page. I mean if it's because kids visit this forum, then how are war/guns/etc. threads allowed. Are you telling me that it's ok for them to see one but not the other? I mean at least ban the war/politic stuff so we don't have to look at that either.

Anyways an explanation would be nice.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Its okay Sarex, I'm still around. Thats almost as good as the pretty women thread...and I look okay in a speedo  8) 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

this is not a thread, but as pm in disguise? am not fionavar's biggest fan, but if you want an answer from him, am suspecting a pm is the best route to get one.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Has the board rules changed? I do not remember anything NSFW in that thread atleast.

//edit:

It seems that there has been appropriate concern raised in respect to this feature within our snadbox that it'll be signing off now. Do feel free to celebrate physical beauty - regardless of gender identity. For now, however, we'll leave that for more private online communities.

*sigh*

No fun allowed.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

This a disguised call of public outrage (PG-13) and a call to arms. We can not let them take our FREEEDOOOM!

Has the board rules changed? I do not remember anything NSFW in that thread atleast.

My guess would be that with the upcoming release of PoE they are doing some spring cleaning to make this site (PG-13). Though how the rest of the threads in Off-Topic and the Stick of Truth subforum are PG-13 I have no idea. Also I don't think anyone underage will even play PoE.

The less fortunate version of events is that some SJW made a complaint and they caved in...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

The less fortunate version of events is that some SJW made a complaint and they caved in...

Nah if that were the case, the Journalism corruption thread would get axed too.

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Having an 18+ or Adult sticker means that you are actively inviting icky and perverted people to the board. Such filth cannot be associated with a site that wishes to conduct in a professional manner.

But that's an industry issue based on cultural norms, nothing to do with Obsidian really.

• Like 3

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

This a disguised call of public outrage (PG-13) and a call to arms. We can not let them take our FREEEDOOOM!

My guess would be that with the upcoming release of PoE they are doing some spring cleaning to make this site (PG-13). Though how the rest of the threads in Off-Topic and the Stick of Truth subforum are PG-13 I have no idea. Also I don't think anyone underage will even play PoE.

Nah if that were the case, the Journalism corruption thread would get axed too.

Well done Longknife, glad you not buying into the " SJW are ruining our lives " conspiracy theory  :thumbsup: 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

To be fair, neither these nor war/politics etc threads are appropriate for a video game dev message board, and WoT is something of a rarity. Me, I'm thankful we have a sandbox at all.

There have been attempts through the years at creating parallel communities not subject to the same rules of moderation (TADS, Tarna's), but they have mostly failed AFAIK. One has to wonder why.

I, too, am bewildered when people consider the human form inappropriate or offensive (let alone more offensive than the glorification of violence), but you aren't going to change centuries of religious conditioning with a few forum threads.

• Like 3

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Whelp. Whoever felt it necessary to complain about what other people enjoy, you never had to read it.

I just assumed those that liked the admin's post were the ones behind it, myself.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think it's obvious what we must do.

braveheart-freedom.jpg

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think it's obvious what we must do.

braveheart-freedom.jpg

Become inebriated and make anti-Semitic remarks? Flush our careers down the toilet?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

To be fair, I seem to remember that the mods had a debate wether or not to allow the thread from the beginning, so I'm not surprised about this - it was good while it lasted though.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I think it's obvious what we must do.braveheart-freedom.jpg

Become inebriated and make anti-Semitic remarks? Flush our careers down the toilet?

I thought that's what we did every weekend?

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm sorry everybody, it was clearly the Io Shirai pictures I posted.  ****less wimps were obviously intimidated by pictures of an attractive, highly athletic, fearless, and totally badass woman who does things they would never have the cojones to try.  My bad. 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I didn't lodge any reports (I'll happily admit when I do) but I am not surprised at all that it was shut down.  Having discussions about guns and violence is much different than putting up images, I think they would be quick to censor violent images as well.  

Honestly that is a big reason I come to this community.  If I want to skim the forums at work, or when I am with my kids, I can do so in comfort.  That was a thread I had to actively avoid a lot of the time.  It's nice to have a PG forum, there are plenty of places we can all go for a less restrictive environment.  That doesn't mean we can't discuss mature issues, honestly I think it often encourages it when you can't fall back on vulgarities and pics of hot chicks.  :)

• Like 3

So what is wrong with a thread you actively have to avoid ? You do that already with the GG thread (have only mentioned that about 4 or times so far). I didn't browse it at work either, but not a big deal.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Perhaps more restrained threads with modest content could be considered?

Let's see:

Ankles Anonymous - Tasteful displays of a ladies lower leg, though Lord forbid nothing as filthy and extravagant as the curve of the calf.

Burka Beauties - An eye lovers dream, careful application of make up, iris' of varying colours from around the world.

Hand Heaven - Begloved and bedecked well made digits and elegant hands, jewellery and embroidery of the finest manufacture to suit.

Refreshing Readings - Young, modestly attired, well bred and elegant ladies read from classic fiction of suitably restrained content.

Etcetera.

Now if you'll excuse me i'm going to go home, beat my wife and children to within an inch of their lives, listen to selected sermons and then bugger one of my velociraptors. Good day.

• Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Moreover, where will oby post his E. European women now ?

Moreover, where will oby post his E. European women now ?

The food threads.

And so goes the Pretty Women thread to join page Three on heaven, another casualty in the PC wars.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Settle down, guys. Obsidian's house, Obsidian's rules. It's not about political correctness, it's about local correctness. Obsidian's games are rated for maturity, but their board is not and Obsidian wants to keep it PG friendly because of that. This is not The Chive or the Codex, this board reflects on Obsidian and as such they want to keep it clean. They do not have to cater to all of your desires.

Malc - I don't run WoT, none of my business. I weighed in on the discussion with a +1 after other mods stated they were unsure of how appropriate the thread was but that's where my involvement ends. It's been a source of discussion amongst mods since before I was one. This thread has been straddling the line for a long time and it was finally decided it was too far on the other side of that line.

I really don't appreciate the witchhunt mentality here - nobody reported or objected to that specific thread (and Hurlshot never mentioned any of his objections to us) so stop hunting for a scapegoat to burn in effigy, as tempting as that may be. The decision falls squarely as a united decision by the mods (who are volunteers, I'd like to point out) and Obsidian employees.

Sarex' remark about spring cleaning isn't far off the mark, though the timing is coincidental. I'm not really supposed to talk about what goes on behind the scenes so I may be out of line here, but we feel the vibe on the boards has become somewhat more hostile than it was and certainly not very welcoming to new members (the PoE forums are especially prone to flamewars) and complaints from members, both new and old, AND developers confirmed it. We believe a certain loosening of standards and too loosely interpreted guidelines are the cause (if you check the actual rules, you'll see they are pretty ambiguous and we've been using them about as loosely as we can to allow for the most free discussions that Obsidian will allow), so we'll be tightening things up slightly.

I'd like to bring attention to 213374U's post about having a sandbox at all. Message boards and comment sections are being removed all over the internet - don't think this option hasn't come up for Obsidian. We'd like to get back to it being civil over risking it get more toxic and suffering that fate. We really like this community, so that's definitely something we want to avoid.

What does this really mean for you guys? Not much. Threads that turn hostile or toxic may get pruned slightly quicker and such. You've seen pretty much the biggest change in moderator policy in action now. :shrugz:

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 5