Journalism and sexism in the games industry

LadyCrimson

1423854714844-0.jpg

EDIT: HOLY**** MOVIEBOB IS GONE, THE ESCAPIST HAS BEEN CLEANSED!

https://twitter.com/reddchanit/status/566317176664367104/photo/1

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Is that a SVU Valentines Day card?  :lol:

Oh man, that just made my day.  Thank you for that.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Is that a SVU Valentines Day card?  :lol:

Yes.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I scoured the internet for an appropriate reaction video and I believe I finally found one:

http://youtu.be/MNpkSyryQz4?t=5m15s

(***Note that the rest of the video shows them playing Mortal Kombat so if you choose to stick around after the game footage restarts or skip ahead to see what they're reacting to, expect over-the-top levels of violence***)

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Yeah, to me, whether Wu was or wasn't a dude at some point means nothing.  As for the mental instability, I don't need Milo to show me that.  Anyone with a pair of eyeballs and a brain can see that she's a stark raving lunatic.

Dunno, she's making 12k (?) on patreon per month. If I were on 144k USD p/a because of some twitter warrioring I wouldn't care even slightly if I came off as nutty as squirrel poo. If it is madness, yet there is method to it- to paraphrase Polonius.

Yeah, it really doesn't matter at all if she's trans, even less so than that Milo's gay. It's far more important that she's done some distinctly questionable things to get her profile up such as sockpuppeting abusive twitter accounts or (almost certainly) faking fleeing her home.

Breitbart is pretty terrible. They are, broadly speaking, on 'our' side but it's an alliance of convenience primarily and simply being on 'our' side doesn't make them not terrible; it's more an 'enemy of our enemy' situation.

Yeah, to me, whether Wu was or wasn't a dude at some point means nothing. As for the mental instability, I don't need Milo to show me that. Anyone with a pair of eyeballs and a brain can see that she's a stark raving lunatic.

Dunno, she's making 12k (?) on patreon per month. If I were on 144k USD p/a because of some twitter warrioring I wouldn't care even slightly if I came off as nutty as squirrel poo. If it is madness, yet there is method to it- to paraphrase Polonius.

Yeah, it really doesn't matter at all if she's trans, even less so than that Milo's gay. It's far more important that she's done some distinctly questionable things to get her profile up such as sockpuppeting abusive twitter accounts or (almost certainly) faking fleeing her home.

Breitbart is pretty terrible. They are, broadly speaking, on 'our' side but it's an alliance of convenience primarily and simply being on 'our' side doesn't make them not terrible; it's more an 'enemy of our enemy' situation.

The 13k per month was due to a one time 10k donation. Its more like 3500. Which is still almost twice what I make per month.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Hah, that Chipman **** got sacked ? Shame he'll just on the virtual street corner of Patreon and get $10k a month.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Guys I admire your equanimity in response to the fact that GG doesn't have the support of the mainstream media but how do you imagine GG will progress without this type of backing, doesn't it limit your influence or do you prefer operating on the Internet only?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Guys I admire your equanimity in response to the fact that GG doesn't have the support of the mainstream media but how do you imagine GG will progress without this type of backing, doesn't it limit your influence or do you prefer operating on the Internet only?

Well its starting to backfire now. The SVU episode has caused a backlash against the gaming press amongst major developers now, with high ups in Blizzard and Ubisoft coming out in favor now. It just seems like just a matter of time before the support leads to a spillover into the mainstream media.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Again.  The ends justify the means, in a nutshell.

Not really, just a silly quote.

A tactic that doesn't work would be by definition "a bad tactic".

It just seems like just a matter of time before the support leads to a spillover into the mainstream media.

Mainstream media doesn't consider "lack of ethics/corruption/whatever in games journalism" to be a story worth running.

Try and explain "Gamergate" to what mainstream media considers its target audience and I guarantee they wouldn't give a flying ****.

Edited by Barothmuk

Well its starting to backfire now. The SVU episode has caused a backlash against the gaming press amongst major developers now, with high ups in Blizzard and Ubisoft coming out in favor now. It just seems like just a matter of time before the support leads to a spillover into the mainstream media.

Plus, a lot of people won't know that the episode was loosely based on an internet controversy and the mainstream's memory has a short half life. Also if the mainstream is willing to believe that we talk in gaming puns who needs them? We can win without co-op.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

how do you imagine GG will progress

No one cares.  For all the bluster that the Justice League of Internetardia throws around, the hashtag is still just people disagreeing with each other on the internet with a few websites cashing in on the extra traffic.  Most people have real problems to deal with.  

• Like 1

I said this to you before Bruce, but I'll repeat myself.

Brian Williams. UVA rape scandal.

The media doesn't have the best credibility, and shrieking about how a group of butthurt anons on teh interwebs are behind a vast conspiracy to keep women out of gaming isn't going to help that. It's an insane narrative, as the fictional Law and Order episode showed.

I said this to you before Bruce, but I'll repeat myself.

Brian Williams. UVA rape scandal.

The media doesn't have the best credibility, and shrieking about how a group of butthurt anons on teh interwebs are behind a vast conspiracy to keep women out of gaming isn't going to help that. It's an insane narrative, as the fictional Law and Order episode showed.

Okay but those are isolated examples that I wouldn't think detracts from the support mainstream media still receives?

And I assume its still important to get the right message across about GG , that requires media ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

'Guys I admire your equanimity in response to the fact that GG doesn't have the support of the mainstream media but how do you imagine GG will progress without this type of backing, doesn't it limit your influence or do you prefer operating on the Internet only?"

The mainstream media is unimportant. They have no power.  There';s NOT a damn thing they can do to GG. NOTHING.

*goes abck to playing games*

See, they have no power. :)

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

'Guys I admire your equanimity in response to the fact that GG doesn't have the support of the mainstream media but how do you imagine GG will progress without this type of backing, doesn't it limit your influence or do you prefer operating on the Internet only?"

The mainstream media is unimportant. They have no power.  There';s NOT a damn thing they can do to GG. NOTHING.

*goes abck to playing games*

See, they have no power. :)

Your post made me laugh

:lol:

John Milton 

Source?

Source?

I think I've seen both, but give me a second, I just woke up. Been sick as hell lately. I think the Blizzard guy's comment was more "thanks video games journalism for setting a narrative that allowed this" in regards to the episode and there is a Ubisoft guy who was supporting GG though I think Ubi has a bit of both. Could be wrong though but I'll try to find them.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Binding of Isaac repre-****ing-sent:  http://gamergate.community/t/danielle-mcmillen-plays-isaac-while-ed-gives-some-thoughts-about-gamergate/1275

I sure can pick 'em. :D  Gotta admit too, it feels good to hear him mention he values artistic merit when not long ago, I was saying this is a game that holds artistic merit. It's good to hear it comes from the developer himself, an implication that it was all very much intended and not me finding symbolism where there wasn't any.

• Like 1

Source?

No one's coming out in favor per se, but a WoW slammed games media and Ethan James Petty has been calling out the bull **** narrative for a while.

I also sent a girl the Valentine's image I posted earlier.