Journalism and sexism in the games industry

LadyCrimson

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but GG is about to become even more reviled by the general public

You guys made it into  a  2 minute slot on CNN International on the  Kristie Lu Stout show this afternoon. I am no fan of GG but the hyperbole and bias shown towards GG made me cringe, its was very one-sided and myopic 

Comments like " GG is this realm of hate " and Wu was interviewed where she said " dozens of women now live in fear and can't leave their homes and are considering leaving the gaming industry because of the hatred and misogyny directed towards them  from GG "  ( or something similar )

Thanks goodness they didn't go on for too long because I was literally waiting for someone to say " GG is the anti-christ "!!!!  

You guys needs to realize what an utter, irrefutable  and horrible disadvantage you are at because you just don't have the media behind you....its a real problem when only one side controls the message that most of the  mainstream public see and are influenced by  :blink:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You guys needs to realize what an utter, irrefutable  and horrible disadvantage you are at because you just don't have the media behind you....its a real problem when only one side controls the message that most of the  mainstream public see and are influenced by  :blink:

Now someone tells us about how we've got all dem privilege.

To be expected.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but GG is about to become even more reviled by the general public

You guys made it into  a  2 minute slot on CNN International on the  Kristie Lu Stout show this afternoon. I am no fan of GG but the hyperbole and bias shown towards GG made me cringe, its was very one-sided and myopic 

Comments like " GG is this realm of hate " and Wu was interviewed where she said " dozens of women now live in fear and can't leave their homes and are considering leaving the gaming industry because of the hatred and misogyny directed towards them  from GG "  ( or something similar )

Thanks goodness they didn't go on for too long because I was literally waiting for someone to say " GG is the anti-christ "!!!!  

It's not as bad as it sounds. What's the mainstream public going to do? Shun gamers more than they did before?

• Like 4

It's been like this from the start. We'll win; it doesn't matter what the media thinks. All their slander is going to accomplish is diminish their already dwindling credibility.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

And anything new?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

You have raised some thought provoking points. How do we know that gender bias exists in the workplace?

Well IMO it definitely doesn't exist in all workplaces and I firmly believe that most corporations are committed to addressing any perceptions or institutionalized cases of gender bias

But if we  want to have this discussion in a reasonable way we can't say " gender bias doesn't exist ". The question I would think is how prevalent  or real  it really is? For example as mentioned by others maybe mainstream large corporations are just harsh places where personal feelings don't matter and maybe people are over sensitive around how  they are treated.

For example when I went on this training in the UK at the end of every session there were 120 of us in a room and we were encouraged  to ask questions to the developers. It was generally the same people, myself and 6-8 others, who asked questions in the public forum. There were maybe 8-10 ladies in the room and not once did they ask questions but neither did the majority of men. So I fail to see how this is an example of how women are being  marginalised because in this case most people were happy with other people asking questions and raising complaints around the functionality of the product 

But if we take that link I provided there are clear cases of women raising issues or suggestions and their comments being dismissed or seen in a critical light instead of being constructive. So I would also argue that this type of gender bias does still exist in business. Personally I haven't been exposed to it, except for my work in the Middle East but thats a symptom of the culture and religious dogma,  but thats not to say I don't believe it exists. 

And as for self-enforcing, maybe. But I would like to think that people would raise concerns on real personal exposure to gender bias and not on others peoples views. So for example lady x working at company y is not going to say she feels she is being treated unfairly just because of her gender unless she feels there is real evidence of this ?

Gender bias does exist, what I'm questioning is how damaging it actually is. This whole conversation is biased in favor of women, should we stop because of it? BTW, your article didn't even mention what the suggestions were so we can't outright dismiss the possibility that the suggestions those women made were so utterly ridiculous that it became their own ridicule. It is another thing in workplace culture when you have someone who is a drag that has been forced upon the rest because of institutionalized norms, like forcing companies to have a ratio of women hired. It is certainly not fair to everyone else to have to work with an incompetent individual that is just there because of a quota.

When I said self reinforcing I meant people interpreting their own experiences as harassment. Also; "feels there is real evidence of this?" well I feel like there isn't, let's try a tug of war and see whose feelings matter more and who is the gender that has learnt to whine until all problems are solved by others.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

HAhahahahaa

"Executive Producer: **** Wolf"

What, as in Dickwolves in the PA-strip? There truly is a God. I'm dying here.....hahahaha

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

HAhahahahaa

"Executive Producer: **** Wolf"

What, as in Dickwolves in the PA-strip? There truly is a God. I'm dying here.....hahahaha

1423717213197-2.jpg

You guys needs to realize what an utter, irrefutable  and horrible disadvantage you are at because you just don't have the media behind you....its a real problem when only one side controls the message that most of the  mainstream public see and are influenced by  blink.png

Brian Williams ring a bell?

Most people don't trust news media and this over the top crap isn't going to help them.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The D1ck Wolf coincidence is pretty doggone fantastic.  It's things like that that make me think maybe God does have a sense of humor.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

No, the guy is really named that. It's not a reference.

Yes, i know. My point was that of all people that would produce an episode about GG, it just happened to be someone with that name. 

Oh, 

http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/ (check the banner)

and, 

http://redchan.it

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

1423770801645.jpg

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So, there's this story about a feminist who aborted a child after finding out it was a boy circulating on the internet. It's completely unsourced (the only source is a "share to read" page that's gone down since), illogical (since they don't do abortions by the time a child's sex is identifiable) and unverifiable.

Social media is eating it up like hot cakes. I find it interesting that the willingness to believe such an obvious lie is so high - that people have such a low opinion on feminism they will readily accept it without a second thought.

• Like 2

So, there's this story about a feminist who aborted a child after finding out it was a boy circulating on the internet. It's completely unsourced (the only source is a "share to read" page that's gone down since), illogical (since they don't do abortions by the time a child's sex is identifiable) and unverifiable.

Social media is eating it up like hot cakes. I find it interesting that the willingness to believe such an obvious lie is so high - that people have such a low opinion on feminism they will readily accept it without a second thought.

It's about perception. Feminism, in 'murica at any rate, has become increasingly associated with man-hating women who feel the need to constantly attack men. While certainly a stretch, the constant harping on male privilege and calling any criticism from men "mansplaining" from some self-declared feminists does much to reinforce that.

Story could be legit though, but the abortion was because of a birth defect or something. I read about one woman who had an abortion after it was determined the child would be severely damaged and experience an extreme amount of pain for his likely very short life.

If gamergate has taught us anything, it's to verify then trust.

• Like 1

Yeah, the "progressive" media flipping out because Raven's Cry has rampant sexism is pretty hilarious, and I saw this coming when I first wrote about the game a while back.  Criticizing the game for being broken and unfinished is fair, because it;s broken and unfinished.  Criticizing it for the horrible voice acting (when it actually has it) and terrible dialogue, also fair.  Criticizing a game about pirates for having foul language and sexism is ridiculous.  It's a game about pirates.  You play a freakin' pirate.  A pirate like they really were (and are) not the romanticized Hollywood vision of pirates with a heart of gold.  Pirates are not nice people, they don't have hearts of gold, that's Hollywood bull****.  Pirates are criminals, thugs, thieves, murderers, and rapists.  Out of all the things Raven's Cry has going against it, and believe me, as someone who owns the game, there is PLENTY wrong with the game, starting with the fact that it's not even finished, their depiction of pirates is not one of them.  That game deserves the bad reviews it's getting, but not for its depiction of pirates.  Their depiction of pirates is closer to reality that pretty much any other game I could think of, and it's damn refreshing.  The character you play is a ****ing scumbag, because pirates are ****ing scumbags, and it's cool to play a pirate that acts like a genuine pirate for once.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Milo is at it again: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/02/13/the-wacky-world-of-wu-the-tortured-history-of-gamergates-self-styled-feminist-martyr/

We are using “she” and “her” as a polite courtesy in this report.

This will be my last post about e-celebs until the next one.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I do not recall any article publicly claiming this back in August. Link?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

It wasn't an article because who on earth writes an article about "oh by the way, that person we hate, we found out she's transgendered"? It was imgurs on the hashtag (including the same picture pre-op and same links to that website). The entire of GamerGate read it and collectively shrugged. You can probably go back a few threads and find it if you wish, it was posted here. Either way, it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Yeah, to me, whether Wu was or wasn't a dude at some point means nothing.  As for the mental instability, I don't need Milo to show me that.  Anyone with a pair of eyeballs and a brain can see that she's a stark raving lunatic.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸