Journalism and sexism in the games industry

LadyCrimson

So it seems to me this is pretty much done. Not "done" in the sense it's time to wave the flag of victory, but it seems like things will only improve from here. We've hit a point where negative narratives for GG get cut down immediately and the positives about GG are being highlighted. Trending GG news and hashtags are all relevant to corruption and bad journalism, nothing regarding harassment or sexism. Meanwhile, people consider KiA and GamerGhazi the two places to check out to get the two sides of the story, and Ghazi is so toxic it's basically a giant advertisement for GG.

To be honest I don't think GG is a movement though. I think GG is a calling to play watch dogs for journalism. It's clear to me the corruption isn't solely within games journalism, but journalism in general. And sadly I don't think this is an issue where you can ever rest. I mean think about it: when is an occassion where you can expect journalism to be free of corruption? Companies will always offer bribes, and journalists will always compete with other journalists, considering options to make their journalism articles more marketable.

In that sense this isn't over, this is just the beginning, should GG choose to take it further. Still, it's nice to see things suddenly going very very sour for the anti-GG side.

It's also a great excuse to play kick ass Majora's Mask music for the SJWs to reflect that they running out of time. C:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzqAT2qVFRs

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

To be honest I don't think GG is a movement though. 

It certainly isn't in the classic sense. Which has some disadvantages but a whole lot of very real advantages.

The big contrast for GG would be with the 'Occupy' movement- which failed when it tried to become a classic movement. GG is near completely decentralised and its supporters have a wide range of views, often mutually incompatible but by and large people have been able to express their opinions without infighting because there isn't a real hierarchy and you don't have (inevitably self appointed) leaders saying something others vehemently disagree with as if they're speaking for everyone and thus driving people away, you just have individuals disagreeing; and you also don't have obvious points of attack since there's no one to discredit and take the 'movement' down by association.

In essence it's like putting Muhammad Ali (because let's face it, SJWs are generally very good at what they do and have won far more often than they've lost) in the ring to fight someone made of smoke, all he can really do is become the subject of a rope-a-dope. That also makes it very hard for GG to win in a classic sense, but it makes it next to impossible to lose- and in a 'fight' like this in a very real sense a failure to lose is winning.

• Like 1

It certainly isn't in the classic sense. Which has some disadvantages but a whole lot of very real advantages.

The big contrast for GG would be with the 'Occupy' movement- which failed when it tried to become a classic movement. GG is near completely decentralised and its supporters have a wide range of views, often mutually incompatible but by and large people have been able to express their opinions without infighting because there isn't a real hierarchy and you don't have (inevitably self appointed) leaders saying something others vehemently disagree with as if they're speaking for everyone and thus driving people away, you just have individuals disagreeing; and you also don't have obvious points of attack since there's no one to discredit and take the 'movement' down by association.

In essence it's like putting Muhammad Ali (because let's face it, SJWs are generally very good at what they do and have won far more often than they've lost) in the ring to fight someone made of smoke, all he can really do is become the subject of a rope-a-dope. That also makes it very hard for GG to win in a classic sense, but it makes it next to impossible to lose- and in a 'fight' like this in a very real sense a failure to lose is winning.

This is a very good assessment of GG. I didn't think you would have had such a perspective

Yes SJW have been doing this for years and are experienced at using various mediums to achieve public support. But don't see this as a negative because SJ causes generally have the moral high ground

Occupy was always doomed to fail because they had no  reasonable end goal for there  invective against the banks, I mean what were people going to do? Stop using the various investment banks that contributed towards the financial crisis?

GG I actually think is a much more risky endeavor in the sense its objective is unclear and nebulous at times. And there  really are a myriad of perspectives around what GG is and most importantly its a not about a topic that is as serious as mismanagement of the financial institutions like Occupy . Its really about gaming which is really just about entertainment 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Americans, what the swearword of the month is this?

http://www.adl.org/assets/pdf/education-outreach/is-gaming-a-boys-club.pdf

Example:

READING ACTIVITY 1.

Distribute a copy of the article “It’s Game Over for ‘Gamers’” to each student. Explain that Anita Sarkeesian, and other women critical of sexism in video games, has been in the news lately because she was going to give a speech at Utah State University and received threats that there would be a shooting massacre if she came. The campus police reportedly told her they could not search people entering the talk for weapons and therefore could not guarantee her safety, so she cancelled.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Example:

READING ACTIVITY 1.

Distribute a copy of the article “It’s Game Over for ‘Gamers’” to each student. Explain that Anita Sarkeesian, and other women critical of sexism in video games, has been in the news lately because she was going to give a speech at Utah State University and received threats that there would be a shooting massacre if she came. The campus police reportedly told her they could not search people entering the talk for weapons and therefore could not guarantee her safety, so she cancelled.

Meh.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Example:

READING ACTIVITY 1.

Absolutely mind-numbingly disgusting, not to mention a blatant waste of paper at the end there. (and weird as ****...? What was the point of the last few pages? It screams propaganda...)

I'd heard the Common Core conspiracy guys and thought they were crazy. Unbelievable that now I'm gonna have to give them the time of day. Also rather ironic that the website seems to stress fighting Anti-Semitism. Have these people looked at McIntosh's twitter?

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Well do these people have any real clout?

But it would not surprise me that one day something like this will get pushed through. There seems to be a regular examples of extremist PC-SJWism getting into western education.

What is that document exactly, is it some sort of description for internal purposes or a script for teachers to follow in case they forget what they are doing. It seems a bit Soviet Russia to have every engagement with the students pencilled out like that and all the points you want to make already power pointed.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

What was interesting about that ? Just the usual "bullies are mean to make up for $shortcoming" yarn.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A few thoughts:

1: Trolls are jerks.

2: She isn't all that informed about GG so I won't hold her slander against her.

3: That troll was absolutely pathetic.

EDIT: 1 more thing. Trolling has NOTHING to do with attempting to silence people. It's just them being jerks for laughs.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Its basically just a bunch of early 20 something y/o males whining about "SJW's" under the guise of "fighting for ethics in games journalism".

It's a movement insomuch that the 14 year olds on tumblr complaining about how oppressed they are being a frog/leaf/whatever are a movement.

Its basically just a bunch of early 20 something y/o males whining about "SJW's" under the guise of "fighting for ethics in games journalism".

It's a movement insomuch that the 14 year olds on tumblr complaining about how oppressed they are being a frog/leaf/whatever are a movement.

Or perhaps it's people being seriously concerned about the fact that major news networks like ABC, the BBC and MSNBC are buying into this narrative when they should either have the expertise to know better or it's a blatant sign they're interested in selling narratives rather than facts, which is a serious problem for journalism.

Your entire post amounts to nothing more than an ad hominem, I hope you're aware.

Or perhaps it's people being seriously concerned about the fact that major news networks like ABC, the BBC and MSNBC are buying into this narrative when they should either have the expertise to know better or it's a blatant sign they're interested in selling narratives rather than facts, which is a serious problem for journalism.

Clearly the SJWs have gained control of the media. Edited by Barothmuk

Clearly the SJWs have gained control of the media.

Those would be your words, not mine. I personally belive journalism has fallen into a state where selling narratives have become the norm. This is a problem, because this kind of practice can lead to - for example - Americans and Russians developing a strong hate for one another because both have been sold bias narratives that dehumanize each other and don't provide the opposite end's side of the story. We need rational and calm journalism, not sensationalism.

The SJWs are little more than a group that've found a way to utilize the corruption, though the corruption would exist with or without them.

• Like 3

I personally belive journalism has fallen into a state where selling narratives have become the norm.

Profit driven media produces sensationalist stories to get more clicks/tweets/whatever.

Who'd have thunk it.

The SJWs are little more than a group that've found a way to utilize the corruption, though the corruption would exist with or without them.

Barely related prediction: In 50 years the Republican and Liberal parties will have died out and been replaced by the "SJW" and "GG" parties.

At that point I will abandon human civilization and live in the woods.

Edited by Barothmuk
  • Like 1

I personally belive journalism has fallen into a state where selling narratives have become the norm.

Profit driven media is more relies on sensationalist stories to get more clicks/tweets/whatever.

Who'd have thunk it.

Barely related prediction: In 50 years the Republican and Liberal parties will have died out and been replaced by the "SJW" and "GG" parties.

At that point I will abandon human civilization and live in the woods.

Not a bad prediction.

Speaking from personal experience and first hand accounts I can say that there is a significant bias towards an SJ agenda within the BBC, and it's not really hidden or unknown amongst those whom work with or within the organisation. The level of journalism has sunk to subjective and sensationalist opinion pieces over objective, fact based professional analysis, and this has been noted and worried about by an old guard, as well as independent sources for a long time. There seems to have been a shift towards opinion pieces sometime around the late nineties or early noughties (I despise that term,) the reasons for which I am entirely unaware of.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Why go with the lamest possible outcome when we all have imaginations that can lift the noblest spirit to commit heroic deeds that will shake very the foundations of our western society and rid of the tyranny of the minds of man for aons to come. What if this is just the beginning, that little spark that will bring a paradigm change on how people will see their purpose in life?

Sure beats nihilism, which is the eternal enemy of the mind.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, what can you expect from the anti defamation league...

I would have expected them to focus on fighting anti-semitism, rather than shilling for shady radfems.

But it seems that NGOs with human rights portfolios always sooner or later get taken over and abused by progressive leftists for their political (rather than humanist) 'struggle'.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

What was interesting about that ? Just the usual "bullies are mean to make up for $shortcoming" yarn.

I thought the reformed troll aspect was interesting.  Granted it could be entirely made up, but the idea that there was a rock bottom where said troll realized they had a problem presents an interesting parallel to other kinds of abuse.  

Profit driven media produces sensationalist stories to get more clicks/tweets/whatever.

Well state-funded media tends to be even more unreliable and unfair when it comes to reporting news.

So if you know of a better way to fund news production than by selling it, do tell.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell