Journalism and sexism in the games industry

LadyCrimson

It's an old video from around when GamerGate started and it isn't game related, but the rhetoric used against comic book fans being sexist is exactly the same as gamers being sexist.

As a comic fan, I've noticed a sort of self-hatred growing among some who seem to be ashamed of being nerds(particularly white male nerds). Funny thing is that their cries for "diversity" rarely result in new characters being created and instead result in gimmicks like Falcon being Captain America for 9-18 months.

And I'd say a #comicsgate needs to happen over the pricetag and cheap paper some comics are printed on. Goddamn are those things expensive.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It's an old video from around when GamerGate started and it isn't game related, but the rhetoric used against comic book fans being sexist is exactly the same as gamers being sexist.

As a comic fan, I've noticed a sort of self-hatred growing among some who seem to be ashamed of being nerds(particularly white male nerds). Funny thing is that their cries for "diversity" rarely result in new characters being created and instead result in gimmicks like Falcon being Captain America for 9-18 months.

And I'd say a #comicsgate needs to happen over the pricetag and cheap paper some comics are printed on. Goddamn are those things expensive.

I was discussing with a friend how marvel and dc need to start releasing a kids line on newsprint for a buck an issue, if they want more fans.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Or you'll get the really great Ms. Marvel character and series.

I was discussing with a friend how marvel and dc need to start releasing a kids line on newsprint for a buck an issue, if they want more fans.

Cheaper paper (and thus worse production values) is probably not going to help anything (unless you're talking reprints only which...probably still isn't going to help).

The problem with comics can't be solved without a different distribution model to go along with ensuring they still fill a disposable entertainment niche. Which is why there's so many digital pushes for comics.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Or you'll get the really great Ms. Marvel character and series.

Cheaper paper (and thus worse production values) is probably not going to help anything (unless you're talking reprints only which...probably still isn't going to help).

The problem with comics can't be solved without a different distribution model to go along with ensuring they still fill a disposable entertainment niche. Which is why there's so many digital pushes for comics.

They need to get them back in newsstands, at a cheap enough price point that parents are like "ok sure" when their kids bring them up to them in line. 5 dollars an issue is silly. when they were 10-25 cents in the 70s that's like a 2000% increase in price.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

$.25 in 1974 is like a $1.20 now.

However, Fantastic Four (for example) had a PAID SUBSCRIBER BASE of 218,330* in 1974 (average print run 428,583) whereas the estimate for December's issue is 24,716 at $3.99

So for the sake of the math, lets say that Marvel got a third, the printer a third and the post office a third. So with Marvel's 1/3 of the subscriber base's $.25 in 1974, Marvel had $18,194.17 (or $87,367.44 in today's dollars) from the guaranteed sales of Fantastic Four each month.

If we assume a similar third situation (Marvel, distributor, comic shop) for Fantastic Four's sales estimate, than Marvel got $32,872.28 on December's issue.

So even with the 1596% increase in cost, Marvel is actually making about 38% of what they did in 1974 adjusting for inflation on that specific title. The real answer to decreasing the cost of comics? Get 180,000 more people buying Fantastic Four each month.

It'd be great to get comics back on the newsstands except...newstands don't exist any longer by and large. And the chain stores that sale magazines and newspapers make more money per space for those than they do comics.

Which is why they stopped selling them in the first place as chain stores put mom and pop stores out of business in the 1970s, which is what necessitated the move to the direct market in the early 1980s in the first place.

*Almost twice the current estimated sales of the top Batman title

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Someone has been analyzing quite a lot on the bigger things surrounding GG:

1422646886694.png

TL;DR: Constantly keep digging and exposing, otherwise we are all guilty of generating a generation of childish nihilists.

Archived version: https://archive.today/TV9fT

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The founder of The Escapist, Alexander Marcis, weighs in on Cultural Marxism back in september 2014:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sc1pi4

I do wonder if this has to do with who got canned later.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Ok I've just stumbled on that Anita video again where she's all, "I am not a fan of video games, shooting people in the head is gross. I had to learn a lot about them." Did she ever comment on that in any way that wasn't "Do not question my cred you puny white man"?

Ok I've just stumbled on that Anita video again where she's all, "I am not a fan of video games, shooting people in the head is gross. I had to learn a lot about them." Did she ever comment on that in any way that wasn't "Do not question my cred you puny white man"?

Of course not.

Also, Powerpuff Girls to the rescue again: http://imgur.com/a/z35i8

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

https://media.8ch.net/gamergate/src/1422915362027.jpg

This is Bayonetta all over again. It doesn't matter what is being criticized. What matter is who made it and if he/she isn't part of their little clique then they are sexist.

This is sickening. 

Anita did not play Dying Light. If only because I seriously doubt she would want to or have the time to complete. The game has just come out.

In the end of the "damsel in distress" arc...

...the trope is subverted.

This is what actually happens --> youtube. WARNING: Major spoilers.

You could argue if the nuance really matters. But you can't just so easily condemn the game for the trope either.

Pft, she'd probably be against us having Max Payne - and that is not right. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Expose Anita and the house of cards will fall.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

The story is really terrible though.

American jock on sabbatical type protagonist (he really does not seem one bit the covert operator he proposes to be) goes somewhere exotic and theres zombies. is it Turkish, they look Turkish ?. Theres a hot kickboxer chick who is in more than two cutscenes, which apparently makes her the love interest. Shes only in  the game for less than a minuite though. I don't think there was any romance at all, although a cutscene is usually a cue for me to go make coffe or something so I might have missed it. Yes you are just waiting for her to get kidnapped from the second she's introduced, it's all pretty obvious.

Part of it is just how games are designed. You can't really have the romance interest be the active party because the player is the active party, moving the game and the story along. So she becomes static per default and a 'damsel'. 

You could chose not to have an American jock on sabbatical and a perfect 10 local girl as the principles though, I would be all for that. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

QTEs? **** that then, not touching it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The most offensive thing about DL is that at the end...

...it is a QTE final boss fight where the game had no QTEs before that. Even though there was a perfectly fine boss fight before that.

The story was a lot of missed opportunities.

True to its spiritual predecessor, DL has a ****e late half but a marvelous first.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Interview part 1 with the journalist (Pinsof) that got blacklisted:

http://techraptor.net/content/state-gaming-media-interview-allistair-pinsof-part-1

• Like 3

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Interview part 1 with the journalist (Pinsof) that got blacklisted:

http://techraptor.net/content/state-gaming-media-interview-allistair-pinsof-part-1

20141119-5674B2E769C332A4-0-0-EEEE6D-B76