Journalism and sexism in the games industry

LadyCrimson

This is been bugging me for a while, where does that picture of the short redhaired woman come from?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

This is been bugging me for a while, where does that picture of the short redhaired woman come from?

They also started a fire alarm at an MRA meeting after having a loud protest behind the door (don't remember if it was the same event as in the video).

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Does anyone watch Law & Order anymore?

I'm shocked SVU is still on.  I've watched the show in the past, mainly to ogle Mariska Hargitay, but that was a loooooong time ago, and even back then the show had been running for a long time.

Kind of funny how radical feminists have tried and very much failed to drag several words through the mud and get them stripped from the collective vocabulary and the only word they have managed to successfully drag through the mud and make people want to remove from the collective vocabulary is "feminism".  Sucks for the moderate, sane feminists that are still out there trying to make sure everyone gets a fair shake in life without any special favors, but there is some delicious irony to how things turned out.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

They also started a fire alarm at an MRA meeting after having a loud protest behind the door (don't remember if it was the same event as in the video).

I'd thank you guys, but that was just too awful. And here I thought Canadians were supposed to be polite.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Are the dyed hair and the glasses part of a mandated uniform?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The dyed hair is a sign of individuality.  After all, doing the same thing everyone else in your circle does is the epitome of individuality.  The glasses, I assume, have to do with vision problems.  I'm a dude who wears glasses.  In my case, I assume it's from all the masturbation, at least that's what I was lead to believe when I was younger.  Then again, I still haven't gone completely blind, in fact my vision has slightly improved recently, and I've been known to crank one out on occasion still, so I don't know if the masturbation leads to blindness hypothesis hold up.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

And now for something actually related to corruption in the game industry, anyone hear about Nintendo's new affiliate program for YouTubers? Here's an example of a huge gaming company being the giant tool again for a change, like it used to be in the good old days. Ah, nostalgia.

Nintendo was behind on the times by not allowing YouTubers (whether they are Let's Players, Commentary Tracks, Tournaments, or most importantly, Reviews) to get advertising money from their games. They would content ID it because it's their game and they would get all the advertising. Hell, even a piece of fanart coming by in your video could get your video content ID claimed.

Nintendo eventually realized YouTube is great advertising and people stopped making videos of their games for this. So now Nintendo has set up an affiliate program. YouTubers can sign up entire channels or single videos for it, and you'll get 70% of the revenue. Actually, you get 70% of what's left over after YouTube takes their 40% cut. So that's more like 35%. That's better than nothing, right? Nintendo finally got with the program. Except, of course, there's gotta be a fine print.

Nintendo reserves the right to decline any video they want, no reasons given. If your Nintendo video isn't affiliated with their program, they still content ID claim and take everything. Make a video review bashing their game? "We object to this content, we're going to take all the money". Make a video review praising their game? "Go right ahead, here's your 30 pieces of silver." What an obvious corporate toolbag way to push YouTubers, not just Let's Players but reviewers and critics as well, to give you positive coverage and dissuade them from making negative videos - essentially flooding YouTube with shills and silencing critics. The conflict of interest alone is mind-boggling and I hope no YouTuber will fall for this nonsense.

EDIT: Oh, and did I mention they pick only some games that are eligible for the program? Essentially, only their new games that they are currently pushing. Awesome forced advertising.

TB on the matter:

Boogie on the matter:

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 1

...and according to /baphomet/, she has done nude modelling, and not the artistic kind if you know what i mean.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

For as much as I love Nintendo, they pull some really draconian scumbag **** sometimes that more often than not just winds up being them shooting themselves in the foot.  Most youtubers won't even touch Nintendo games because they don't want the headache of dealing with their bull****.  I'm not sure if Nintendo is aware that they are cutting off their nose to spite their face by doing this and effectively murdering any chance they have at getting free advertisement for their games.  Nintendo is insanely cautious and protective of their IPs, very much to a fault.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

It does seem counter productive and quite frankly asinine.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Connect the dots.

Ask any sociologist and they'll tell you "oh yeah, those goth kids are trying to fit in and they do care about image." I certainly remember that being a thing where the goth/emo kids had the schtick of "labels are for soup cans!!!!1" and preaching against anyone who wanted to call them goth/emo. Then sociology and the teacher is like "yep they trying to stand out and be part of a more unique clique, no question."

I think it's no surprise that these SJW-types seem to be found amongst tumblr and with bright colored hair, preaching a doctrine that you need to stop mansplaining them because their gender validates their opinions over yours. These people, plain and simple, have a burning desire to be special and unique. I promise you a lot of them harbor romanticized fantasies of someday being on TV for being a pivotal person in stopping misogyny or -insert discrimination issue here-. FFS, Leigh even admitted to it.

So in short, the hair is nothing but a symbol that lets one read into the personality a bit further. This is a personality that wishes to stand out and be unique, and that this personality is prevalent amidst this specific group and movement speaks volumes about where the true interests of the movement lie: within oneself.

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I don't buy Nintendo products and this crap will only encourage me to continue that.

Nintendo just needs to get with the times.

Dunno how many of you are familiar with Nintendo's history, but they used to have a dominant monopoly on video games, to the point where Nintendo had a cut in every video game made. Can't recall the how exactly, but they had claim to something neccesary to make games at the time, so I believe third party titles would end up paying Nintendo significant amounts just to have the damned cartridge made.

Fast Forward to now, Nintendo doesn't have that monopoly, but they still act as though they do. Realize Nintendo is actually an age-old trading card company or some crap, and the work done since they started making video games has done tremendous amounts for the company. That said, I would guess they've got a lot of respect for the old policies that set them in motion to begin with, hence why they're so slow to get with the program and acknowledge today rather than planning for yesterday.

That said, I really like Nintendo overall, and they always seem to get with the program and pull something magical out of their ass when things get really bad.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Sega does what Nintendon't.

These days whenever I hear "Sega," all that comes to mind is autism and disappointment.

Not to say that those thoughts and observations aren't just as entertaining as a video game, though. :D

I popped in here to see if you folks were talking about joystiq shutting down.  I am disappoint.

Huh. Joystiq is shutting down.

;)

Not much to say, it's not even confirmed (AOL is supposedly planning to shut it down but nobody knows when, let alone what the cause is) and Joystiq was never big. Nintendo's new YouTube policy has much more far reaching consequences for games journalism and games media in general and that news kinda overthrew that pile of uncertainty.

Speculation regarding that cause, though? Editor in Chief Susan Arendt called Total Biscuit names and all the PC gamers stopped going there. :lol:

i-rsZ2sXC-1050x10000.jpg

Don't look at me regarding their discussion of the mating plumage of angry women, though. I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole. :getlost:

Edited by TrueNeutral

I know that comic guy. He played poker with Heavy Veapons Guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aposematism

So it's actually a defense mechanism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aposematism
So it's actually a defense mechanism?

Its to attract pollinators. Zing!

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Food for thought, considering the arguments people throw around concerning GG:

gGu1hhS.png

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy