Journalism and sexism in the games industry

LadyCrimson

If I take a piss on a bible, is that art? Are a few lines on paper art? Is Red Velvet Cake from my favorite shop art?

Art is ultimately subjective, therefore attempting to qualify something as art is ultimately flawed. Best to keep freedom of expression so we can have "open doors till you find out your sister is a lesbian" simulators and pewpew shooters IMO.

I'm going to call bull on that, art might be loosely interpreted but it can still be objectively measured. This whole post modernist let's **** in a can and call art thing is borne out of subjective reasoning  that equates insanity with reason, is the result of critics' takeover where art is just a fad and they set the trend.

There are common elements among art that have been agreed upon before subjectivity got into the scene, now they don't sell works of art they sell ideas of art. It is the concept that seems to be important because its the concept that requires the critic, art based on aesthetic is meant to be enjoyed by all and needs no interpreter.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Despite this, we apparently have an industry that's supposed to house people who write for a living - professional journalists - and yet they can't do this.

I suspect the reality of publishing gets in the way here.

Game Reviewers are probably more than likely backgrounded as gamers and not journalists (because one of the pre-requisites is being willing to play a lot of games for a long time).

Game Reviewers probably don't get to finish a game before having to review it, making their reviews more of extended hands-on previews than reviews that can discuss the game as a totality (and thus keeping them from making more nuanced critical analysis if that is their want).

Yeah don't get me wrong, my questions are practically rhetorical in that we all know the answer here. The answer is they're liars and not remotely professional. As I said, it was more of a second realization that these dudes are dragging the term "art" through the mud, alongside several others.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Looks like the two biggest editors of the gamergate wikipedia page (Ryulong, NorthBySouthBaranof) have both been topic banned now. There's not much more left to happen from that arbitration, by the looks of things.

Of the four biggest edit makers two have been topic banned, one exonerated and one giving a warning only.

Here's a KiA thread of all the bannings. They are pretty much banning all the most prominent editors.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

What's this #GamerGateNeutral? Is someone trying to divide the community?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That's how they will win, because we will all die laughing.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Tommy_Lee_Facepalm_2574.png

Also apparently wikipedia editing is srs business:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8XsB7hCYAAY9Jz.jpg

I just can't really picture myself having that kind of reaction. A reaction of "that's bull****" or "you gotta be kidding me," sure, but he sounds like he considers Loganmac his arch nemesis now. Dude wtf it's a wikipedia edit that no one will recognize you for. It's a very solitary act that hardly even qualifies as a hobby, why would he care THIS much?

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Pic should be edited due to obscene language, post link instead.

Joking, I'll edit it so the thousands of 12 year olds that patrol this forum don't learn naughty words they hear everyday on the schoolbus from the mouths of the 14-year-olds.

Ryulong has been saying pretty much exactly the same thing in multiple sympathetic places- someone fast tracked his membership onto neogaf and of course he's been sponsored by/ posting on 'ghazi for a while.

His and NBSBaranof's reactions illustrate almost perfectly why they shouldn't be editing something that is supposedly a dispassionate encyclopaedia, the level of emotional involvement is too high by far. And of course if they weren't so emotionally involved they wouldn't have edit warred and ended up banned in the first place.

snip

Joking, I'll edit it so the thousands of 12 year olds that patrol this forum don't learn naughty words they hear everyday on the schoolbus from the mouths of the 14-year-olds.

While rebellion might seem appealing to your inflammatory sensibilities, the forums have rules against what they consider objectionable content. If anyone dislikes said ruling there are a lot of different forums on the internet that have no such rules and if they feel so strongly about it they can go there. 

As to the claim that moralist are childish; it is children and the vulgar that tend to speak with profanity and not just with the occasional word but as part of their everyday vocabulary. If you can't express yourself with cursing that fault lies not with others but within yourself.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Tommy_Lee_Facepalm_2574.png

Also apparently wikipedia editing is srs business:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8XsB7hCYAAY9Jz.jpg

I just can't really picture myself having that kind of reaction. A reaction of "that's bull****" or "you gotta be kidding me," sure, but he sounds like he considers Loganmac his arch nemesis now. Dude wtf it's a wikipedia edit that no one will recognize you for. It's a very solitary act that hardly even qualifies as a hobby, why would he care THIS much?

It's worth posting what set him off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_talk:Arbitration/Requests/Case/GamerGate/Proposed_decision&diff=644366991&oldid=644364382

Looking at all the drama I'm surprised I'm the only one that took this calmly, advise for other people, move on. Wikipedia shouldn't be your only hobby, try not to think you have a personal mission to defend the goddesses from those vicious Internet terrorists. [[user:Loganmac|Loganmac]] ([[user talk:Loganmac|talk]]) 06:37, 27 January 2015 (UTC)

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

snip

While rebellion might seem appealing to your inflammatory sensibilities, the forums have rules against what they consider objectionable content. If anyone dislikes said ruling there are a lot of different forums on the internet that have no such rules and if they feel so strongly about it they can go there. 

As to the claim that moralist are childish; it is children and the vulgar that tend to speak with profanity and not just with the occasional word but as part of their everyday vocabulary. If you can't express yourself with cursing that fault lies not with others but within yourself.

I can respect the rules, I'm just voicing my own opinion on it, and I gotta be honest, I personally find swear words are used so commonly in today's society that there's no point in even demonizing them. If you don't wish to use them and consider them words for the stupid or childish, cool, don't use them, but I personally think we've hit a point where censoring language just about anywhere has become pointless. We all know that if one were to simply log onto a multiplayer game of any kind? Swears. The average youtube video? Swears. Any college campus, office-style business (behind closed doors anyways), or high school? Swears. I can respect when someone asks to not see them, doesn't mean I don't challenge the "why" of it though, cause sometimes it just feels so pointless. ;P

• Like 2

First they took away our Pretty girls thread, now they try to take away our third page

https://twitter.com/NoMorePage3/status/558036705920692224

Haven't you gotten the memo? Adults find the female form repulsive and abhorrent, it is a sign of maturity after all. And don't even get started on pictures that might insinuate sexual dimorphism. So grow up now, will you.

In other, they have found out that the leader of #GG was all along TotalBiscuit. Extra Credits has the irrefutable proof and this is TB's response: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1skam53

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy