Journalism and sexism in the games industry

LadyCrimson

One trait I notice with all these articles, the authors wera all console peasants in their youths when they announce "I've gamed since....."

I’ll always defend violence in video games, but I won't defend causal racism, xenophobia and sexism. But for Gaters, this has become their identity, and anyone who has the audacity to suggest gaming can be more diverse is threatening “gamers” as a whole.

It isn't what he means, I hope, but that line reads rather funnily, given that violence is probably higher on the Wrong rankings than the other things.

We cannot have equal wages, unbiased policing, marriage equality or an end to the epidemic of trans suicides as long as the poisonous forces of the past are able to remain afloat and assert their vision of a society they control.

This is rather random. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah.  Sheeple can be easily manipulated and whipped up into a frenzy, and sensationalist bull**** is quite effective toward that end, but you gotta ground it in reality at least a little bit.  That article is so over the top ludicrous that I think even most sheeple would go "get the **** out of here with that crap" after reading that.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'd wager the Comics Code Authority. Essentially it was a set of standards imposed by an organization funded by the large comic publishers in response to moral panic. The result was censorship of non-CCA approved comics, in that such comics wouldn't be distributed widely and the average reader wouldn't have access to them.

It parallels the current moral panic IMO.

Which is why I'm interested. The next person that says "But what are you all so afraid of?! There is no censorship!!!" Look at what can and has happened.

You should be, the American comics industry took a huge hit from the CCA and the only survivors were the large publishers who could afford not selling the popular sci-fi and horror comics. Nowadays American comics struggle to sell 40,000 copies per monthly issue, have high prices for little content(which is why pirating them has become so rampant), and are just now able to produce commercially viable comics that aren't superhero books. Imagine something like this happening to videogames and the picture is not very pretty.

The funny thing is that the arguments of Fredric Wertham(whose hitpiece book Seduction of the Innocent is what contributed greatly to the moral panic preceding the CCA) resemble those of certain commentators on videogames, such as that they influence the attitudes of young people who play them and make them more violent.

http://news.illinois.edu/news/13/0211comics_CarolTilley.html

The above link goes over how he misused the data gathered to construct his arguments. It should look familiar as there is also no scientific evidence of videogames affecting behavior yet some still insist it does.

Actually Sci-Fi comics did quite well in the 50s both pre- and post-code. It was Crime (Lev Gleason's CRIME DOES NOT PAY that was the biggest) and Horror (EC being the biggest publisher hit by this). Also it should be noted it wasn't the "biggest" publishers that survived, it was the ones who made the CCA (being a self-regulatory entity) DC, Marvel, Archie, et al used the CCA to take out their biggest rivals (EC and Lev Gleason). Gleason left comics and EC ended everything but MAD, which they made a magazine (and it was sold quiety to National in the 60s)

It is a mistake to think that declining comic sales have anything to do with the CCA; while it is true that pre-code comics sold better than post-code comics, the "Silver Age" comic sold better than the comics immediately pre-"Silver Age" and those comics sold better than anything in the 80s. There are a complex series of reasons to explain declining sales, the vast majority of them stemming from the loss or retail outlets that sold comics (like newstand, mom & pop grocery and drug stores, etc) which necessitated the move to the Direct Market - selling to buyers through comic shops.

That said, many people fall into the causality trap that Wertham does. Jack Thompson certainly did.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Ah ****, thanks for the clarification tep.

It's still relevant IMO, in that the arguments are similar and that censorship effectively happened without the government.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm not saying it isn't relevant. Comics are a good example of "new media hysteria", where a new media is embraced by the young and then the old decide that its warping children and therefore they have to be protected from it. In fact Wertham's last chapter in SEDUCTION OF THE INNOCENT isn't about comics but the evil of that other new media, Television.

Anyhow, there is certainly an undercurrent of that with the backlash against violent games or particular representations in games of particular groups.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It's a little sad really how we keep seeing the same scare stories: Video nasties in the eighties, various forms of music classed as dangerous since its inception, from the fiddling of Paganini to rap lyrics, the postal service allowing mass communication, novels spreading daring ideas and offending those whom make a profession of being offended, art and science being a dangerous path to pursue because of small, regressive minds not wanting anybody but their privileged group of pseudo intellectuals to dictate what content is seen and consumed by those they judge as Untermensch.

That is what it comes down to for me, the privileged few trying to dictate what the masses think and consume, because they despise the masses and hold them as dangerous when showing any independence. The pathetic attempts to blame every ill of society, while never even commiserating with the victims, on those they despise no matter the non existence of any connection, is just a symptom of their mental illness and pathological hatred and inferiority.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It's a little sad really how we keep seeing the same scare stories: Video nasties in the eighties, various forms of music classed as dangerous since its inception, from the fiddling of Paganini to rap lyrics, the postal service allowing mass communication, novels spreading daring ideas and offending those whom make a profession of being offended, art and science being a dangerous path to pursue because of small, regressive minds not wanting anybody but their privileged group of pseudo intellectuals to dictate what content is seen and consumed by those they judge as Untermensch.

That is what it comes down to for me, the privileged few trying to dictate what the masses think and consume, because they despise the masses and hold them as dangerous when showing any independence. The pathetic attempts to blame every ill of society, while never even commiserating with the victims, on those they despise no matter the non existence of any connection, is just a symptom of their mental illness and pathological hatred and inferiority.

And do tell, what does the compliance and approval of institutions and companies with this insanity is a symptom of ?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Conspiring with a popular narrative I suppose? Usually institutions and companies react rather than act, maintaining their public image by siding with what the media presents as the mainstream opinion. Or they are alerted to the truth by a consumer revolt, such as Gamergate.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The problem is that when stupidity compounds people become certain of it, is has been proven that the more people repeat something the more truthful it becomes.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

We are now blamed for school shootings among other things.

And now they are lashing out, Gaters, through the anonymity of the Internet, and others, through unspeakable violence in places like Aurora, Sandy Hook, Santa Barbara.

What really annoys me about the article is where he says

"I love gaming, but slowly and surely, gaming has stopped loving me. The industry I grew up with has slowly eroded, leaving a wasteland of bitterness spewed by those society left behind as companies once driven by inclusiveness and innovation now peddle anger. Gaming is my "Old Yeller," but where Travis could mercifully lay to rest his beloved companion, I have no idea how we are going to fix this. Instead, I watch in horror as the thing I love writhes and squirms, becoming a twisted, pained, unrecognizable creature. And as I look around, I realize this toxin is keeping its bitter users going, trying to hold back the natural progress of society" 

He makes it out like GG is somehow destroying the entire gaming industry...wow...what a drama queen

He can just ignore GG and stop feeding the hyperbole, no need to turn it into " end of the world and all things we know " discussion

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Drama is what fuels those people. 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

What really annoys me about the article is where he says

"I love gaming, but slowly and surely, gaming has stopped loving me. The industry I grew up with has slowly eroded, leaving a wasteland of bitterness spewed by those society left behind as companies once driven by inclusiveness and innovation now peddle anger. Gaming is my "Old Yeller," but where Travis could mercifully lay to rest his beloved companion, I have no idea how we are going to fix this. Instead, I watch in horror as the thing I love writhes and squirms, becoming a twisted, pained, unrecognizable creature. And as I look around, I realize this toxin is keeping its bitter users going, trying to hold back the natural progress of society" 

He makes it out like GG is somehow destroying the entire gaming industry...wow...what a drama queen

He can just ignore GG and stop feeding the hyperbole, no need to turn it into " end of the world and all things we know " discussion

275018.gif

It's just... I'm so proud.

• Like 2

Eh. Typical article by a SJW feminist who is racist, sexist, bigioted, and hateful. Why does he hate women and minorities so much that he feels correct talking down to them? EVIL.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Janus springs to mind for some reason.

Tea for the teapot!

The Georgina Young one was much more effective criticism. The first one just came off like all the bad anti gg articles. I would think a harassment support network would be something someone who is harassed goes to, rather than something that would reach out to the harassed, so his points fell flat to me. Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

A paid career of circle jerking and complaining on Twitter. I'm kinda jealous.

We were talking about starting a patreon racket a while back. If you can pretend to be some otherkin ****, we can fake harassment and be rolling in money.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Update on the sackings of the wikipedia-editors: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/wikipedia-bans-five-editors-from-gender-related-articles-amid-gamergate-controversy/

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The Georgina Young one was much more effective criticism. The first one just came off like all the bad anti gg articles. I would think a harassment support network would be something someone who is harassed goes to, rather than something that would reach out to the harassed, so his points fell flat to me.

Well, apparently there is a vetting process where they determine if you're the right kind of victim for their company (whatever happened to listen and believe and not victim blaming?).

Also they apparently reach out to victims that they feel would make a good fit for their company.

Seriously though, why would a help group need to vet people before they help them? I seriously expect this thing to become "Victim.Inc".

village_idiot.gif