Journalism and sexism in the games industry

LadyCrimson

Start of previous thread

End of previous thread

Last few posts repeated here:

A couple of nobodies on both sides, but mostly some of the twitter remarks by some of the people who were laid off imply GG had something to do with it and/or benefits from it.

Well it's rumored that Movie Bob was let go so...

I'd wager the Comics Code Authority. Essentially it was a set of standards imposed by an organization funded by the large comic publishers in response to moral panic. The result was censorship of non-CCA approved comics, in that such comics wouldn't be distributed widely and the average reader wouldn't have access to them.

It parallels the current moral panic IMO.

Which is why I'm interested. The next person that says "But what are you all so afraid of?! There is no censorship!!!" Look at what can and has happened.

I'd wager the Comics Code Authority. Essentially it was a set of standards imposed by an organization funded by the large comic publishers in response to moral panic. The result was censorship of non-CCA approved comics, in that such comics wouldn't be distributed widely and the average reader wouldn't have access to them.

It parallels the current moral panic IMO.

Which is why I'm interested. The next person that says "But what are you all so afraid of?! There is no censorship!!!" Look at what can and has happened.

You should be, the American comics industry took a huge hit from the CCA and the only survivors were the large publishers who could afford not selling the popular sci-fi and horror comics. Nowadays American comics struggle to sell 40,000 copies per monthly issue, have high prices for little content(which is why pirating them has become so rampant), and are just now able to produce commercially viable comics that aren't superhero books. Imagine something like this happening to videogames and the picture is not very pretty.

The funny thing is that the arguments of Fredric Wertham(whose hitpiece book Seduction of the Innocent is what contributed greatly to the moral panic preceding the CCA) resemble those of certain commentators on videogames, such as that they influence the attitudes of young people who play them and make them more violent.

http://news.illinois.edu/news/13/0211comics_CarolTilley.html

The above link goes over how he misused the data gathered to construct his arguments. It should look familiar as there is also no scientific evidence of videogames affecting behavior yet some still insist it does.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Rumor is false, Movie Bob is still at the Escapist. I don't really care, he's a massive jerk but he hasn't been guilty of any ethics violations other than being a massive jerk. Since he's not a games journalist his opinion on GG is irrelevant to me.

I like the new Escapist EiC. I too would prefer a more positive attitude on the internet.

Also, why are so many GGers upset at LW's attempt to create a support system for abuse victims? I don't think it's going to do anything but if it does, hey, great, more people with knowledge about how to prevent or deal with online abuse. I understand there's some consternation about statements that they wouldn't help GG people, but I couldn't actually find them. So far it's my view that hey, one of them is actually doing something useful this time, so I've got no truck with it.

• Like 1

I really don't care what she does. The only thing is that sj activists often have a very peculiar definition of harassment that borders on the ridiculous. And I don't want to see someone losing their job or be harmed in other ways because of bulls-t accusations.

Remember that people who get doxxed by anti-gg are not the ones that send them threats.

Edited by Fighter

Also, why are so many GGers upset at LW's attempt to create a support system for abuse victims?

Some concern over it being an IP address honeypot. Some anons were looking into it last I heard.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Fighter: The information on the website seems effective against the harassers of anti-GG too. I don't know how they actively will "help" online abuse victims though, but it states it's not retaliation so I'm cautiously optimistic. 'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt despite misgivings about past behaviour (by which I mean things such as the shutting down of TFYC, and not any allegations of adultery as my problem with that was with Nathan Grayson and not her, she can sleep with whoever the hell she wants as far as I'm concerned) because unlike the false flags by Wu and Sarkeesian, Quinn actually did receive a lot of abuse and at this point I'm sure she's got a good idea about how to stop it.

KaineParker: Honeypot? As in trying to identify harassers IP addresses for... what exactly? Can you elaborate?

Either way, I've spent far too much time reading about that website today when it's pretty straightforward and we have a pretty large upheaval going on in games journalism right now. I still want to know why some ex-Escapist writers imply GG is responsible for their removal since as far as I know none of the Defy Media websites were on GamerGate's boycott goals. GG on Twitter and KotakuInAction seemed much more interested in that website and trying to target it than it did actual news in games journalism, so I think the entrenchment has gone too far and GamerGate has lost its meaning. I don't think I'll be participating in the hashtag or KIA anymore because of that and try to talk about ethics outside of it (like TB, who very rarely uses the hashtag).

Before when I said the majority of GamerGate cared about ethics in journalism rather than taking specific targets down, I meant it and also I was correct when I said it. Don't think either still apply. Of course, maybe some game journalist will go "Gamers are terrorists" again or something and piss me off into coming back in, but my attention has been wavering for a while now and despite some of the media narrative claiming otherwise, between all these games sites restructuring I'm pretty sure GG has made it's point.

Looking forward to following some GamerGate proponents slow slide into media watchdog status using GG as momentum, but otherwise the only truly interesting thing to come out of it in the last month was the journalist whose girlfriend worked for Ubisoft and that was resolved pretty quickly (showing how effective GamerGate has been in raising awareness about ethics despite claims that it was about misogyny). With BasedGamer on the way, more people with actual clout taking GG seriously, the scoring system being on its way out effectively neutering metacritic and removing most of the journalists influence over actual game development, and Gawker bleeding cash out of their orifices, I'm pretty satisfied and I think GG has run it's course for me, personally and I'm really just tired of it.

Quick aside, The Escapist's new Editor in Chief:

If you think free expression needs to be politically correct, you're doing it wrong. PC speech doesn't need defending. Mock everything. End.

Yeah, cautiously optimistic.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 1

KaineParker: Honeypot? As in trying to identify harassers IP addresses for... what exactly? Can you elaborate?

Apparently malware warnings were popping up when a lot of people viewed the site. I'd have to ask for more info but the idea was that it was possibly a IP harvester. Best to stay away until someine can confirm IMO.

As to gamergate fatigue, I'm honestly in the same boat. 8chan has usurped halfchan and I now have /leftypol/ and /v/ to haunt, most games media have ad what little credibility they had ripped to shreds and set on fire, BasedGamer, and the would be censors seem to be universally reviled by most not involved. I'm more than happy to let it fade into the background while I slowly drink myself to death while being ready to spring back in if we get another happening.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I was under the impression that the malware warnings were false flags by some of those too entrenched GGers since I recall reading some of them claim they reported the site as an "attack page" out of spite.

*shrug* I'm not sure tbh, but the belief it's a honeypot is why some folk are against it.

Oh, some "damage" at last.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My first reaction to ZQ's page was "hey, maybe the GG Harassment Patrol can help out" but I figured she would reject that out of hand. Which would be a shame because it could be a pretty big step towards reconciliation.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I was under the impression that the malware warnings were false flags by some of those too entrenched GGers since I recall reading some of them claim they reported the site as an "attack page" out of spite.

I was under the impression that the "honey pot" was reference to not trying to touch it since harassment is the site's (hers) very business to begin with. The more attention they bring to the site, the more money she and Alex makes. Therefore, do not touch.

At least that's what they said at /baphomet/

As for GG, i do not blame them for avoiding contact with her. She is not exactly the most trustful person.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

As for GG, i do not blame them for avoiding contact with her. She is not exactly the most trustful person.

Seriously wtf, girl seems like a sociopath. To be honest I'm amazed you guys are surprised GG is treating her "harshly" and frowning upon the site. Based on evidence from past endeavours she's been involved with, there's every reason to have skepticism with her goals and intentions.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

They are crypto-christians, always ready to forgive :p

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Brianna Wu tries to ban Adam Baldwin from an Australian expo with a petition: https://www.communityrun.org/petitions/revoke-adam-baldwin-s-invite-to-the-supanova-pop-culture-expo

Gamergate has quickly responded: https://www.communityrun.org/petitions/don-t-revoke-adam-baldwin-s-invite-to-the-supanova-pop-culture-expo

As for CrashOverRide, it has already gotten quite the expure for a single webpage: https://twitter.com/TheFartRises/status/558128343313575937/photo/1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I don't think there's anything suspicious about all the COR articles coming out at least, she probably has sent out a press release and they're spread over two days. Sent out a press release to sympathetic eyes, no doubt, but it doesn't look like "Gamers are dead" pt 2 in that respect, more like Fallout 4 announced!!! articles would be collusion with Bethesda.

OTOH I have little doubt COR is... hmm. Unlikely to be unbiased, at very very best.

I don't think there's anything suspicious about all the COR articles coming out at least, she probably has sent out a press release and they're spread over two days. Sent out a press release to sympathetic eyes, no doubt, but it doesn't look like "Gamers are dead" pt 2 in that respect, more like Fallout 4 announced!!! articles would be collusion with Bethesda.

OTOH I have little doubt COR is... hmm. Unlikely to be unbiased, at very very best.

It is not about suspicious activity, it is more about how these sites quickly chooses to go for the same narrative. Hers cannot be the only support-group against harrasment.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Seriously wtf, girl seems like a sociopath. To be honest I'm amazed you guys are surprised GG is treating her "harshly" and frowning upon the site. Based on evidence from past endeavours she's been involved with, there's every reason to have skepticism with her goals and intentions.

I'm not really surprised, more annoyed. I'm skeptical (cautiously optimistic doesn't translate to forgiveness) but skeptical isn't the same thing as "actively trying to dig up dirt or take it down". Let it lie - there are more important things to focus on than Quinn. What's the point of making a huge stink about "literally, who?" if you're going to keep focusing on it? Before it was the lunatic fringe elements focusing on specific personalities, but it's grown into a significant portion. It's disheartening.

• Like 1

Wonder what Arthur Chu thinks...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Whatever Mein Kampf tells him to.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Nonek, Cheong is the Nazi. Chu is the Jeopardy candidate.

So what's going on with the Wiki situation? I've heard rumors that anti-GG editors are getting banned.

Oh I do apologise to Mr Chu.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Nonek, Cheong is the Nazi. Chu is the Jeopardy candidate.

So what's going on with the Wiki situation? I've heard rumors that anti-GG editors are getting banned.

I actually knew this but took the excuse to post the video anyways because I was in the mood to post a video. I regret nothing.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Whatever Mein Kampf tells him to.

That is Cheong, the other Asian dude with glasses that is stuck in to this.  If there ever was a "try hard" to be a socially justice minded person on Twitter, it is him.  :lol:

• Like 1