What you having for dinner tonight?

Tale

Not that pretty but very good

15823155_10154702504376223_1781422968033

Shady what is the most exotic thing you have ever eaten? I basically eat everything except for insects

I eat offal, brain and all types of unusual meat like horse and jellyfish.....sometimes I eat something which isnt great but I try to be adventous at restaurants so I challange my palate 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't eat a lot of weird stuff unless... well, if you asked my family then they probably think I do but I don't think most in the west people would consider most of it all that weird.

The strangest thing for me was probably grasshoppers or squid ink pasta because I didn't care for either. My wife thinks it's weird that I like pig intestines and pickled sausage but those are fairly back home while my dad thinks it's weird that I like bone marrow and the occasional snail but that's normal here. Kind of a tough question. I'd try most things except animals I'd consider as pets like dogs and cats but I wouldn't consider myself all that adventurous.

I'd probably say that in general I like different/unique/creative takes of the standard western fare more than I like weird and unusual ingredients. If that makes sense

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I don't eat a lot of weird stuff unless... well, if you asked my family then they probably think I do but I don't think most in the west people would consider most of it all that weird.

The strangest thing for me was probably grasshoppers or squid ink pasta because I didn't care for either. My wife thinks it's weird that I like pig intestines and pickled sausage but those are fairly back home while my dad thinks it's weird that I like bone marrow and the occasional snail but that's normal here. Kind of a tough question. I'd try most things except animals I'd consider as pets like dogs and cats but I wouldn't consider myself all that adventurous.

I'd probably say that in general I like different/unique/creative takes of the standard western fare more than I like weird and unusual ingredients. If that makes sense

Yes I would also never eat anything we consider pets like dogs or cats. For me things like snails, marrow and chicken livers are " normal " but pig intestines that sounds interesting? I have never tried that

I still would love to get your opinion on the Buckhorn Exchange, I know you said no one wants to go but they serve unusual meat  Elk and Yak 

http://www.buckhornexchange.com/suppermenu.php

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Had to entertain some family/friends from overseas and went to a restaurant in the city. The girlfriend and I were there half an hour before going through the menu with the manager and what to bring out. It was pretty good food, but I suppose when everything on the menu is triple figures, $300+ per kg for Lobster, $130 for a bottle of wine, it should be good. Had a private room for ourselves with 12 of us. Once it was over, the girlfriend saw everyone off while I stayed back and paid the bill. She was a little shocked when she saw the total but I said, my Christmas bonus from work paid for it so it's all good and my boss paid for it. I'm kind of glad we won't have to do this for a while and it will be someone else's turn when we go overseas. :lol:

Had to entertain some family/friends from overseas and went to a restaurant in the city. The girlfriend and I were there half an hour before going through the menu with the manager and what to bring out. It was pretty good food, but I suppose when everything on the menu is triple figures, $300+ per kg for Lobster, $130 for a bottle of wine, it should be good. Had a private room for ourselves with 12 of us. Once it was over, the girlfriend saw everyone off while I stayed back and paid the bill. She was a little shocked when she saw the total but I said, my Christmas bonus from work paid for it so it's all good and my boss paid for it. I'm kind of glad we won't have to do this for a while and it will be someone else's turn when we go overseas. :lol:

I am impressed, I always thought of you as someone who wasn't really cultured and would never spend that much money on dinner as you saw no value in it

So nice one, you really put effort in. Your gfriend must be loving you  :thumbsup:

John Milton 

Just had some cream of pumpkin soup followed by toasted baguette and my mother's home-made chicken and goose liver spread with some figs and dates filled with cream cheese and red onions.

Quite the, uh, hearty treat. I didn't even eat that much and feel like an overstuffed plush toy.  :biggrin:

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

So, I planned to make hamburger helper, to have some for dinner and have some for lunch tomorrow.  I browned the beef and it was at this point that I realized that I didn't, in fact, have any hamburger helper on hand.  Not wanting to waste the beef I improvised, threw in a can of cream of mushroom soup, chopped up some more mushrooms to add in to increase the mushroom content, added in spaghetti, since it was the only kind of noodles I had on hand, and made makeshift hamburger helper.  It came out surprisingly not disgusting.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 2 weeks later...

Baked some chicken drumsticks in what basically amounts to a homemade Italian dressing

PS We eat a lot of Nongshim Black from time to time. It's my favorite "as is" instant noodles but my favorite overall is probably a cheap Top Ramen or Maruchen done up about a dozen or so different ways

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

There's an Asian market right down the street from me.  Technically it's an "international" market, but it's predominantly Asian foods, and largely Korean at that.  Anyway, there are is all manner of ramen there, almost an entire aisle of it.  Much of it I can't understand any of the writing on, so I just go by the pictures or hope for a sticker with some English on it.  I've only tried less than 10% of them so far.  I have to be careful with the packages that have flames on them or such.  I'm used to stuff that's labeled as "hot" being generally pretty mild, but Asians don't **** around.  When the package indicates it's hot, it's ****ing hot!  I like spicy foods, but not if it's so hot that it takes me over half an hour to eat 1 bowl because I have to stop every few spoonfuls to take a break to let my mouth cool off and wipe the sweat off my brow.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glorious 75 degree February day here in The Queen City.  I spent much of it outside, including grilling up some cheesy sausage and garlic, olive oil, and rosemary potatoes.

3Ro3wfG.jpg

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

For lunch I sliced up a baguette and toasted it on the griddle with some mascarpone then topped it with a coarsely chopped tapenade and sun dried tomatoes and drizzled some balsamic on top

I have'nt ever tried something like that, but just looking some of those things up I've already started drooling slightly.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

For lunch I sliced up a baguette and toasted it on the griddle with some mascarpone then topped it with a coarsely chopped tapenade and sun dried tomatoes and drizzled some balsamic on top

It's really good. Sometimes I add a little red chili flakes a little kick

am assuming mrs. sands doesn't give you a hard time 'bout your ulcer diet, 'cause based on what little we know 'bout stomach ulcer regimen, your meal is kinda a culinary middle-finger gesture directed at doctor recommendations.  

good on you.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I couldn't live like that. I always tell the missus that I'd rather have more life in my years than years in my life which, of course, gets me an eye roll

The stomach thing seems to be fine now but at least I lost of lot of weight on that diet because I just didn't eat rather than eat that bland food

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

I can sympathize with that, the major staple in my diet has been... brown. Or rather brown sauce, I have no idea how to translate it but gravy with cream ought to do it. It's come to the point that I throw a little fit every time I see it now. Went to the point where I essentially only ate chicken and fish for a while, now I can't stand chicken instead.

My saviour is different random recipie pages, but **** me if most of those dishes aren't crazy expensive. And I'm probably the worst cook in the world, wich doesn't help.

I'm going to make this tomorrow.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It does, sounds good too! I'm sure I'll be able to make it inedible. ;)

• 2 weeks later...