What you having for dinner tonight?

Tale

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My folks and my sister are 750 miles away up in the frozen wasteland known as Connecticut and I can't really afford 2 round-trip plane flights in the span of approximately a month (I'll be flying up for X-Mas), especially after purchasing a brand new car about a month ago.  I'm also not in the mood to make a pair of 12-14 hour drives, I've already done the NC to CT, or vice versa, drive 3 times, I have no plans to ever do it again.  With that in mind, no big family Turkey dinner for me this Turkey Day and I'm not really in the mood for turkey anyway.  So I'm making gołąbki instead, on account of gołąbki being awesome.

y3WUkhD.jpg

Terrible blurry picture courtesy of crappy phone camera (it's terrible at short distances) and awful photographer (me!)

Nothing fancy, just a pound of ground beef, a pound of ground pork, boiled rice, lightly boiled cabbage leaves, and tomato sauce.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half in the oven at 350 and good eatins will be had.  :yes:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

folks always seem surprised when Gromnir tells 'em we celebrate thanksgiving.  our grandfather thought it were a great holiday, so we grew up taking the thanksgiving meal prep serious.  

this year, slowed a smidgen by injury, we mighta cut a few corners, but we nevertheless put out a decent spread.

turkey brined with we-kid-you-not orange juice-- no stuffing.  we do not fill our bird with insulating material.  

dressing/stuffing-- we make an extra turkey breast (two actually) and place the breasts on top o' our dressing in a large roasting pan.  as such get turkey juices suffusing our dressing w/o the turkey roasting mystary.  went very basic this year with bread, mushrooms, celery, red onion and sweet potatoes combo.  lots o' fresh sage and parsley.  deglaze the sauteed vegetable matter with a very dry sherry. turkey stock we made wednesday night is kinda key... along with the turkey breast(s). 

brussel sprouts-- is our yearly attempt to make sprouts as unhealthy as possible.  brown butter, shallots and hazelnuts in large saute pan and then add heavy cream. simmer a bit and then add gorgonzola and fresh lemon juice.  toss roasted sprouts with the nutty cheese sauce. sprinkle with lemon zest.

green beans-- browned butter, mushrooms, red onion, hazelnuts, bit o' lemon juice. 

mac n' cheese-- nothing fancy or noteworthy, but is most favored side dish after the evuhl sprouts.

cranberry sauce- fresh cranberries, apple cider and a grated gala apple along with a whole lotta sugar... bit o' cinnamon, ground cloves and a teaspoon o' apple cider vinegar. always needs a bit o' salt.

pumpkin pie and fresh whip cream-- am suspecting the only reason we made pie is 'cause we made whip cream, and we made whip cream 'cause the heavy cream we bought for our sprouts came in a 1 quart size.  used 1 cup cream for sprouts.  *shrug* decided to make whip cream with the remaining heavy cream and 'course we needed something to put under the whip cream, so...

gravy-- no mashed potatoes this year, so the main purpose o' the gravy is actual for leftovers/turkey sandwiches.  

gonna hibernate.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Turkey, mac and cheese, scalloped potatoes, short ribs, gravy, cranberry sauce, and green beans

Sorry to quote self but wanted to update.

My aunt who was in town visiting loved my spatch****ed turkey so much that from now on she's going to butterfly all her turkeys. Cooking in an hour and half is tough to beat. She also took my bacon jam bone marrow recipe and my wife's mushroom and leek scalloped potato recipe. It might not sound like a big deal but it's huge to me since they are very traditional with their holiday meals and were half expecting our dinner to turn out horrible or not at all

Almost forgot, the cranberry set in a can turned out great too

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

turned our turkey breast carcasses, and other turkey leavings, into stock.  with all the stock simmerings, our house is more turkey scented today than it were a week ago.  haven't decided if the aroma is an improvement over the norm.  in any event, stock will become more than a gallon o' turkey soup, which freezes well enough.  as such, am gonna continue suffering turkey leftovers 'til 'round christmas.  huzzah. 

last year when we made turkey soup, we went ahead and added egg noodles.  am not a big fan o' noodles in our chicken/turkey soups, but we figured we needed a few carbs to turn the soup into a legit meal. we got distracted by a phone call while cooking-- apparently we suck at multitasking.  had a 12 oz bag o' noodles and we intended to use 1/2 o' the noodles for 1 gallon o' soup.  "bag o'" anything is so unlike Gromnir, but for turkey-leftovers soup, making homemade noodles woulda' kinda defeated the point. *shrug* used the whole bag.  last year's incarnation thus became egg noodles dampened ever so slightly by turkey soup.  maybe stay away from the noodles this year.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...

I got a beef stew going in the slow cooker.  Nothing too fancy: beef, potatoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and spices.  Toss in a bit of corn starch at the end to thicken it up and good eatins will be had.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Made some more tamales

Tonight we are having steaks with a mushroom brandy cream sauce, grilled scallions, mashed cauliflower, brussel sprouts with bacon and shallots, and honey glazed carrots

Followed by too many tamales and leftover chitlins then we'll see where the night takes us

• Like 2

Made some more tamales

Tonight we are having steaks with a mushroom brandy cream sauce, grilled scallions, mashed cauliflower, brussel sprouts with bacon and shallots, and honey glazed carrots

Followed by too many tamales and leftover chitlins then we'll see where the night takes us

Geez, that sounds delicious  :yes:

Do you do  all the cooking in this type of gastronomic night ?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, 'twas yesterday but anyway:

A fine roast of young venison with a nice sauce made of root vegetables. Sides were red cabbage with chestnuts, potato and bred dumplings and finally canned peaches and pears with (wild) lingonberry jam.

• Like 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Well, 'twas yesterday but anyway:

A fine roast of young venison with a nice sauce made of root vegetables. Sides were red cabbage with chestnuts, potato and bred dumplings and finally canned peaches and pears with (wild) lingonberry jam.

Okay....shady you have some serious competition.

I love Vension, what specific meat was it ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Leftovers last night and pasta carbonara tonight. We didn't have any guanciale or pancetta so we had to make do with some slab bacon. Turned out pretty good still

I'm not competing with anyone. I'd probably lose to Gromnir and a few others around here. I just like to cook

• Like 1

It was deer. Well, deer calf and to be perfectly specific saddle and tenderloin. Young venison runs a much smaller risk of being gamey and tough so the extra money is well spent - assuming one likes venison and has no problems with eating cute little baby deers. :yes:

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

It was deer. Well, deer calf and to be perfectly specific saddle and tenderloin. Young venison runs a much smaller risk of being gamey and tough so the extra money is well spent - assuming one likes venison and has no problems with eating cute little baby deers. :yes:

That sounds delicious, we have lots of venison in SA and in hunting season we have all this variety of animals like Impala, Kudu and Eland  :geek:

John Milton