What you having for dinner tonight?

Tale

Dear Labadal: don't know the condition of said camera, but have you tried running a moist rag over the lens? ;)

Chinese food - yeah...one popular thing here is (western) broccoli used in many "Chinese" dishes (broccoli beef, in 'mixed vegtables', etc). Not a vegie native to Chinese cooking. And a lot more meat. But these days there are more places that are more authentic, or at least with more authentic ingredient emphasis, because of all the natural/less-meat trends of the past years.

And....since I'm running a fever and have a stuffy nose, I suspect I shall be eating nothing today but some ... chicken noodle soup. With enough hot peppers, I might even be able to taste it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That's my phone camera, LC. I've dropped my phone so many times (maybe 50?), I'm surprised it even works. For example, the other day it fell down the stairs. It's also five years old but I have no need to change it as long as I can browse the net without any issues.

I went fishing today. Yadda yadda yadda, were not having fish for dinner. Looks like a pizza night.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That's my phone camera, LC. I've dropped my phone so many times (maybe 50?), I'm surprised it even works. For example, the other day it fell down the stairs. It's also five years old but I have no need to change it as long as I can browse the net without any issues.

Still, taking a q-tip to the little camera hole might help with the blur. That's kinda what it looks like, to me. It's happened to my little phone-size vid camera.

I went fishing today. Yadda yadda yadda, were not having fish for dinner. Looks like a pizza night.

I interpret that as "they all got away." :lol:

What were you fishing for, if I may ask? Trout? Something else?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Small mouth bass, bream, & speck are the most common fish in Cold Creek & Lauderdale River. You can catch carp & gar occasionally but I don't care for them. They get put back.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Get a pizza with Tuna, its almost like catching a live fish?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Get a pizza with Tuna, its almost like catching a live fish?

When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale there was this little hole in the wall pizza joint that had a "Shipwreck Pizza". White sauce and seafood. It was so f'ing good!

Thomas Sowell

Chinese food - yeah...one popular thing here is (western) broccoli used in many "Chinese" dishes (broccoli beef, in 'mixed vegtables', etc). Not a vegie native to Chinese cooking. And a lot more meat. But these days there are more places that are more authentic, or at least with more authentic ingredient emphasis, because of all the natural/less-meat trends of the past years.

Having come from a Chinese household, you begin to tire of the cuisine and even local takes on it wear on you, to the point that for me what seems completely banal to my friends (meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and peas) seems totally exotic to my palette. Thankfully sushi, teppanyaki, and Korean barbecue are still foreign enough for me that it's a joy to go out and eat.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I made steak and cheese chimichangas

based on the theory that almost anything is improved via deep-frying?  Gromnir is an advocate. heck, you can improve twinkies and ice cream with deep frying.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

based on the theory that almost anything is improved via deep-frying?  Gromnir is an advocate. heck, you can improve twinkies and ice cream with deep frying.

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir I hope you realize how unhealthy deep-frying anything in oil is for you, especially vegetable oil? If you are going to fry try to use Olive oil

You should only occasionally deep-fry food, its much better to steam or bake food. 

So now I'm back on my diet because my training session is over in the UK where I couldn't eat healthily. So what that really means is salad for dinner with fish or a meat and no junk food during the day but I normally take breakfast and lunch to work so thats easy to stick to  :geek:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Having come from a Chinese household, you begin to tire of the cuisine and even local takes on it wear on you, to the point that for me what seems completely banal to my friends (meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and peas) seems totally exotic to my palette. Thankfully sushi, teppanyaki, and Korean barbecue are still foreign enough for me that it's a joy to go out and eat.

I love Korean BBQ and have even tried to replicate it at home sometimes.

But yeah...I think most of us eventually at least have periods (if not forever) where we become very blase about anything we grew up with/ate a lot of. People would rave about my mother's "whatever" and I'd be all "meh." To this day I rarely eat most chicken dishes or any egg-based dish.

• Like 1

I get that. I will never eat another boiled potato in my life. Roasted, baked, mashed, anything else but boiled. My dad was obsessed with eating meat and potatoes five days a week. I get nauseous at the sight of them now.

• Like 1

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir I hope you realize how unhealthy deep-frying anything in oil is for you, especially vegetable oil? If you are going to fry try to use Olive oil

You should only occasionally deep-fry food, its much better to steam or bake food. 

So now I'm back on my diet because my training session is over in the UK where I couldn't eat healthily. So what that really means is salad for dinner with fish or a meat and no junk food during the day but I normally take breakfast and lunch to work so thats easy to stick to  :geek:

deep frying, if done correct, actual gets a bad rep.  is based on simple science, but to do right is requiring artistry. insofar as calories is concerned, fat is fat.  is also more than a few misconceptions regarding poly/mono/un saturated fats. but ultimately, cooking in oil is not markedly less healthy than cooking in air or water IF a person understands the process at work.  simple rule: if steam is escaping food, oil can't simultaneous get into the food.  you deep-fry at the correct temp for the correct duration and you is adding very little fat to your food.  

that being said,we ain't gonna even try and boast the health value o' a deep-fried ice cream. a chimichanga ain't gonna be advocated by any health honk anywhere.  heck, you got any idea how much watermelon rind we has mindlessly thrown away over the years?  that stuff is delicious when deep-fried... honest. nevertheless, we ain't advocating deep fried watermelon for patients with heart conditions related to plaque buildup in their arteries.  

am actual a bit o' a food snob, and such folks tend to act as if deep-frying is some kinda quaint, plebeian folly. we don't get caught up in culinary or dietary dogma. we eat food for taste at least as much as health.  we get all necessary nutrition we need from food, and we exercise frequent.  am not gonna suffer through our daily diet 'cause o' perceived notions o' the lethality o' pork or beef or frying.  if we die at 78 instead o' 80, then so be it.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I just really wanted a chimichanga

It used to be a special treat for me back when I lived in AZ. I would go to a restaurant called El Molinito and order a carne seca chimichanga and get it smothered in cheese and white sauce. That's one of the most delicious heart attacks on the face the earth.

I can't get carne seca around here and and I had the steak in the fridge already

EDIT- The Mexican food in Denver isn't (always) that bad but it's not in the Sonoran style that I prefer so when I get a hankering I usually end up making it myself

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Which reminds me that tonight is Tacos Tuesday at my local taqueria! Mmm...carnitas....

pork cooked in lard?  bruce will likely have advice for you.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

that being said,we ain't gonna even try and boast the health value o' a deep-fried ice cream. a chimichanga ain't gonna be advocated by any health honk anywhere.  heck, you got any idea how much watermelon rind we has mindlessly thrown away over the years?  that stuff is delicious when deep-fried... honest. nevertheless, we ain't advocating deep fried watermelon for patients with heart conditions related to plaque buildup in their arteries. 

I've never had watermelon rind fried, but it comes out rather well when pickled

Last night I made myself  delicious peri-peri Chicken Livers...really tasty and I had that with a salad

Tonight I made myself a spicy Tomato and Jalapeno pasta with Mushrooms, also delicious...so I'm eating well at the moment but its healthy  :sorcerer:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I had chicken hearts once on a Brazilian kabob stick thing. It was sweet, kinda, very small, not super satisfying. Never tried chicken liver. 

Tonight I'm not sure what to have. It's my sis's birthday, far away in UT, so we started our happy hour at the same time for fun, cause she's rad, but idk, maybe Campbell's Philly Cheesesteak soup. It's not bad, really. 

All Stop. On Screen.