What you did today

Tale

Everyday is a new day, unless you have a time machine, then every day can be an old day. Or something. Sadly, I don't have one of those.

I was tired, so I went out in the yard and did some early weeding. it's a fairly nice day, if you're physically doing something and not just sitting in the shade. But it didn't help my tired-ness, so I think now it's time for that old-fart nap.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I had a big career setback today. It's been a long time coming and now it has happened. I haven't told my wife yet, she is working tonight. I'll tell her tomorrow. I'll deal with this tomorrow. Tonight I'm going to load up my iPod with Jimmy Buffet songs, sit in my rocking chair on the porch and get filthy drunk. It won't solve anything but nothing I was going to do tonight was going to solve anything anyway.  

I told someone on this board a few weeks ago that in hard times, when you have a problem that cannot be solved at that moment, your mind is your worst enemy. All you can do is distract it or shut it down all together.

Tonight we opt for the latter.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Finally finished making my cleaning schedule, excellent. Also will kick off the job hunt as well, took a break for Christmas

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I had a big career setback today. It's been a long time coming and now it has happened. I haven't told my wife yet, she is working tonight. I'll tell her tomorrow. I'll deal with this tomorrow. Tonight I'm going to load up my iPod with Jimmy Buffet songs, sit in my rocking chair on the porch and get filthy drunk. It won't solve anything but nothing I was going to do tonight was going to solve anything anyway.  

I told someone on this board a few weeks ago that in hard times, when you have a problem that cannot be solved at that moment, your mind is your worst enemy. All you can do is distract it or shut it down all together.

What a crap way to start the year. I hope things work out eventually.

Over here, roads are freaking death traps. My mother had chest pains and we took her to the ER. Turns out it was nothing dangerous, some strained muscles. They told her to call if she felt worse. She was also told to visit the doctor he next day. Today, I learned that she fell because of icy roads, but I don't think it was anything serious. She seems in as good spirits as can be. Still riles me up when anything happens to her and I think to myself: I wish it was me and not her. She's not the healthiest person anymore nad it's not so easy to accept.

you have my genuine sympathy, which is not the same as pity.  i have, over the years, found myself at employment crossroads. the true moments of dread in my life have occurred at such lonely and fearful intersections. uncertain of how to best move forward, i would second-guess every choice that had brought me to such a terrible place. i hated myself for such thoughts, but the belief, the certainty, that my foolhardiness would result in suffering for my loved ones was both intolerable and unavoidable. 

looking back at the crossroads, i realize that most of the fears i conjured up while loitering in such places were unfounded, a terrible synthesis of guilt and imagination. the same pitiless inertia that had filled my stomach with snakes made of ice and barbwire, eventually pulled or pushed me... forward. nevertheless, tomorrow may not be better. next week may not be better. next year may not be better. at some subtle and ultimately meaningless point it will no longer matter if your situation gets better. eventually you will succumb to inertia and move forward and develop a new routine, a new normal.

good luck.

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Aww jeez, I admire your courage in the face of it. I would say cheers, but that doesn't seem right.  

All Stop. On Screen.

Well, hope it is a setback only - in that your career is still on legs. Best of luck with that.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This training I have been on in the UK is drawing to a close. Its been excellent, I can't stress enough just how good its been

For starters its been at the actual software vendors HQ, so we have people who are responsible for writing code and deciding what features to put it attending the courses. Its very rare that I get to interact with people on that level. And they have been very honest about what works and what doesn't and what we would like to see in future releases as partners and resellers. 

And then I have thoroughly enjoyed meeting all the various guys who also work for partners throughout Europe and the UK. So I have met guys from Netherlands, Norway, Italy,   Denmark, France, Turkey,UK, Belgium and the Middle East. And chatting to them and interacting its very interesting to see how their sales cycles work and what their customers want and what sells in their regions. Because all of us are technical we get on very easily and swop " war stories " about our experiences 

And we have been spoilt with excellent food..I mean really good food. Last night we had a function with free drinks, lots of free drinks so I imagine there will be many people feeling very tender, I left at 11 pm because I didn't want to be hangover for the last day

And after the course today I still have 3 days in London to do some sightseeing which I'm very excited about

Oh the weather has been freezing ...I'm obviously not use to this type of cold but I have learnt a few lessons about dressing appropriately so its all good now 

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

BruceVC's positive life-enthusiasm always inspires me. Sounds like a great experience.

@GuardDog - I hope whatever the setback is, that a rebound/solution comes quickly.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finally out and meningitis free - 10 days of IV and clean, boring hospital rooms have left me a little mentally unstimulated. Just glad I can read and play games etc without getting a massive headache.

Oh the weather has been freezing ...I'm obviously not use to this type of cold but I have learnt a few lessons about dressing appropriately so its all good now 

Layers layers layers..

And quality jackets and socks.

• Like 3

Fortune favors the bald.

Finally out and meningitis free - 10 days of IV and clean, boring hospital rooms have left me a little mentally unstimulated. Just glad I can read and play games etc without getting a massive headache.

Layers layers layers..

Indeed.

I'm wearing a jacket of frost resistance +5, boots of striding +5, girdle of frost giant strength and a helmet of frost resistance that also gives me immunity to critical hits.

The alternative is to grow a beard, then you can handle any cold, any where, any time. :grin:

Good to see you're out and about :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

i tried to repair something... and it went FUBAR. not because of the repair though, i just noticed (after i was done) that another part that could not be fixed was broken too... wasted an hour

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I stayed up longer than my girlfriend last night and didn't want to wake her up with the light, so I went into the bedroom and tried to climb into bed in pitch blackness. Long story short, I hit my leg on something pretty hard and now my leg hurts like hell. It's not swollen though so I don't think anything is seriously wrong.

Thankfully I didn't have to go with my manager to NY, he was oddly excited but flying to another city isn't really that much fun. But it means I can nap more easily.

Yardwork/errands, or slough off and play video games. Such tough decisions in my life. It's a travesty.

Going on 7 years in this tiny house. Crazy. And I'm still always startled by what the real estate market does in this area. Even crazier. But we're not selling....more sensible to buy a cheaper retirement house elsewhere and rent this one out. Retirement is likely going to = being real estate landlords. Possibly in more than one state. It's an interesting process. Still not sure if we'll stay in Calif. or elsewhere. Although we could move to far N. California and be near some relatives. That might be cool, and still be a fair change. The Bay Area is an interesting place, but I'm pretty sick of it by now.

My dad bought a book called  " London Pub Walks " 

http://www.amazon.com/London-Pub-Walks-CAMRAs/dp/1852493100

I have the feeling we will be drinking tomorrow during our long walk....actually I'm concerned that we will be doing more drinking than walking  :wowey: 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I stayed up longer than my girlfriend last night and didn't want to wake her up with the light, so I went into the bedroom and tried to climb into bed in pitch blackness. Long story short, I hit my leg on something pretty hard and now my leg hurts like hell. It's not swollen though so I don't think anything is seriously wrong.

Ouch....sounds painful, its never pleasant when you trying to do the right thing and you get injured   ;( 

• Like 1

John Milton 

Layers layers layers..

Mothers lock up your daughters, Ros is back!

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone. I'll be fine. It was just a bummer to be let go from the company you started. Well, helped start at least. But as I completed the last of the DAS designs I figured I had about worked myself out of a job. So it wasn't a total shock.

But I'm a lot better off now than the last time I was shown the door. I have a little money in the bank and a second income from my wife so it's not so bad. Last time I was dead broke with two broken legs so that really sucked.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

"It was just a bummer to be let go from the company you started"

gotta friend who had a similar experience. he started up a partnership with a handful o' colleagues... lets say they were vets, 'cause who doesn't like vets?  first 18 months o' the new business were hell with most partners needing to max out credit cards to keep business afloat and be able to eat regular. many sleepless nights. however, after somewhere 'tween 24 and 30 months, the partnership finally reached that point wherein our friend were able to relax a bit and deal with more simple day-to-day problems including actual treating critters.  

unfortunately, our friend had some unexpected medical problems that his insurance did not complete cover and regardless, he were not gonna be able to be working full time for at least a year, if ever. so, 'cause he needed extra cash, and 'cause he didn't wanna be a d!ck, he offered the other partners a chance to buy him out o' the partnership for almost nothing other than the promise that he would continue to be employed as a part-time staff vet for at least X years. 

six month pass and our friend gets fired.  his partners knew he didn't have money enough to hire a lawyer, and even if he could get somebody to take the case on contingency, he didn't have time. his partners, ex-partners, implied that they would make it very difficult for our friend to get a job as a vet anywhere within 1000 miles if any kinda lawsuit talk were started. so, our friend gets a small goodbye check and is then shown the exit.

vets is a bunch o' jack-offs.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)