moot leaves halfchan

PK htiw klaw eriF

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Again?

Okay, actually I heard about this earlier, so not surprised. I just remember the time before when he was talking about leaving to start a social networking site that never appeared.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

nothing about the thread title made any sense to Gromnir, and we has learned that mindlessly following internet links is bad for our peace o' mind. am assuming "moot" is a person or organization, and halfchan is not some kinda racial slur but is more likely a site or group.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

But thanks for the update KP.

frabz-Youre-welcome-9fe4eb.jpg

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"Moot" is the founder of the anonymous message board system 4 Chan, that wretched hive of scum and villainy.

That was depending on the success of his idea which didn't pan out probably because no one wanted to be associated with the founder of 4chan. Now it seems that he is just leaving and if the past few months are any indication he seems to be trying to sever ties with 4chan.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"Moot" is the founder of the anonymous message board system 4 Chan, that wretched hive of scum and villainy.

I followed that much.  It's "4 = 1/2" that confused me.  (Or is "halfchan" some separate hive?)

Edited by Enoch

It's a reference to 8chan, a similar website run by developer Hotwheels (named such after his wheelchair) that has come into some popularity recently in regards to the GamerGate controversy, specifically that discussion of said controversy was banned at 4chan, breaking the infamous 4chan rule of "we only remove things that are against the law" which angered a lot of 4chan members who then left for 8chan.

Either way, while I respect both sites' right to exist and the benefit of having a venue for anonymous posting (both as a way to blow off steam or to come to terms with real life denial issues such as closeted genderqueer people) I think both sites are generally filled to the brim with pure awful and I'd rather not go to either one.

Ah.  That makes sense.  So this thread is mostly an excuse by KP to relay a lame (and, to us Olds, confusing) nickname and exult in some kind of GG triumphalism?

(Can't we keep all that idiocy on the designated thread, where sensible folks can ignore it?)

• Like 3

Ah.  That makes sense.  So this thread is mostly an excuse by KP to relay a lame (and, to us Olds, confusing) nickname and exult in some kind of GG triumphalism?

(Can't we keep all that idiocy on the designated thread, where sensible folks can ignore it?)

Maybe when the humbly self professed "sensible folks" can drop the passive aggressive attitude?

• Like 1

Maybe when the humbly self professed "sensible folks" can drop the passive aggressive attitude?

well, enoch didn't seem all that passive, and lord knows that our scorn for all things gamer's gate is open and notorious. 

we could lean across the table and spit in the bisque o' anybody who brings up gg in any thread save for the one referencing 'gaming journalism,' but hardly anybody eats bisque and we is not all actual sitting at the same table. am not certain how we can be more aggressive and less passive without being over-the-top.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

No honeysuckle, it's to point out that moot left 4chan. That's why there's a link to moot's post about leaving 4chan.

No, the sensible folks here have far more esteemed things to discuss such as the lore of power armor in Fallout, the merits of kill experience in arrpeegees, and various conspiracy theories.

• Like 1

Ah. That makes sense. So this thread is mostly an excuse by KP to relay a lame (and, to us Olds, confusing) nickname and exult in some kind of GG triumphalism?

well, enoch didn't seem all that passive, and lord knows that our scorn for all things gamer's gate is open and notorious.

HA! Good Fun!

Yep, nothing passive about this. I have stayed away from that Gamergate thread for good reason, no reason to spread that insanity.

• Like 1

Really? 4Chan has been huge for over a decade, has caused endless problems, shaped internet meme culture for ages, frames the debate on online anonymity and has been responsible for much of the unmasking of Scientology and all you guys are getting from this is GamerGate? For good or ill, 4chan is an enormous factor in why internet culture is what it is now.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it's barely relevant connection to GamerGate which I only brought up because of KP's chan-speak reference because people didn't understand a stupid nickname for another site. Talk about tunnel vision. It's not KP that made this thread about GamerGate, it's you guys. For people avoiding the subject you sure are quick to focus on it. "I stay away from it... unless I really, really want to talk about it".

Edited by TrueNeutral

Really? 4Chan has been huge for over a decade, has caused endless problems, shaped internet meme culture for ages, frames the debate on online anonymity and has been responsible for much of the unmasking of Scientology and all you guys are getting from this is GamerGate? For good or ill, 4chan is an enormous factor in why internet culture is what it is now.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it's barely relevant connection to GamerGate which I only brought up because of KP's chan-speak reference. Talk about tunnel vision. It's not KP that made this thread about GamerGate, it's you guys. For people avoiding the subject you sure are quick to focus on it.

In my experience, everyone that left for 8chan or that frequent both refer to it as either "halfchan" or "cuckchan". It has less to do with GG and more to do with 4 being half of 8 and chan culture.

*shrug*

Either way, they needlessly derailed this thread because of an irrelevant connection. If 4chan decided to censor some other topic, the same exodus to 8chan would likely have happened (seeing as 8chan also predates GG). Chan culture is all about (ab)using freedom of speech and people didn't leave because GG was censored, they left because censorship was happening at all. 4chan's impact and its sudden quick decline is a lot more relevant to internet culture than GG could ever hope to be.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Really? 4Chan has been huge for over a decade, has caused endless problems, (1)shaped internet meme culture for ages, (2)frames the debate on online anonymity and (3)has been responsible for much of the unmasking of Scientology and all you guys are getting from this is GamerGate? For good or ill, 4chan is an enormous factor in why internet culture is what it is now.

numbers added by Gromnir for convenience.

point 1-- is not something we see as positive... and clear your notion o' "ages" is different than ours.

point 2-- to quote vol, "no."

point 3-- uh, the nyt "unmasked" scientology in the 1990s, and scientology has has been kinda the brunt o' jokes everywhere save for hollywood for a very long time.  heck, fallout 2 included the hubologists as a pretty obvious parody o' scientology.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

Either way, they needlessly derailed this thread because of an irrelevant connection. If 4chan decided to censor some other topic, the same exodus to 8chan would likely have happened (seeing as 8chan also predates GG). Chan culture is all about (ab)using freedom of speech and people didn't leave because GG was censored, they left because censorship was happening at all. 4chan's impact and its sudden quick decline is a lot more relevant to internet culture than GG could ever hope to be.

Well it seems that most cases of free speech involves members of the fringe. Such as not being forced to do the pledge of allegiance because Jehovah's Witnesses objected to it(strangely it was initially allowed for schools to enforce that but it was later overturned) or the Hustler and Falwell thing.

Really? 4Chan has been huge for over a decade, has caused endless problems, (1)shaped internet meme culture for ages, (2)frames the debate on online anonymity and (3)has been responsible for much of the unmasking of Scientology and all you guys are getting from this is GamerGate? For good or ill, 4chan is an enormous factor in why internet culture is what it is now.

numbers added by Gromnir for convenience.

point 1-- is not something we see as positive... and clear your notion o' "ages" is different than ours.

point 2-- to quote vol, "no."

point 3-- uh, the nyt "unmasked" scientology in the 1990s, and scientology has has been kinda the brunt o' jokes everywhere save for hollywood for a very long time.  heck, fallout 2 included the hubologists as a pretty obvious parody o' scientology.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

- Trust me, I would never state chan and meme culture is a positive either. If "for good or ill" was too ambiguous for you, I refer to it as a wretched hive of scum and villainy earlier on - it being a negative doesn't make it any less true. Also, I do believe I am substantially younger than you so that makes sense.

- Um, yes? :lol: Chans are responsible for/implicated in a bunch of freedom of information and anonymous abuse scandals, most recent of which would be that well-publicized leak of a lot of celebrities' private photo collections. If it doesn't frame the debate, you'll have to forgive me for thinking so as the media is constantly reporting on them.

- That's true, the ridiculousness of their beliefs has been unmasked before (Xenu etc.), but 4Chan's project Chanology is mostly responsible for exposing (or at the very least the spread of information regarding) their sheer viciousness and corruption, their dogged legal pursuit of dissent and censorship ruining many lives and threats of violence as well as the forced labour and (child) abuse that goes on inside their "ranks". I feel scientology's current status as a laughing stock is too charitable as it severely understates the horrid filth that it actually is.

Edited because my sentence structure suffers when I have sleep deprivation.

Edited by TrueNeutral