EA Origin security breach again. Careful if you are thinking of getting Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gnostic

Well if you're already infected by Steam, might as well contract Origin and hope both antigens wipe each other out.

Because the best way to deal with a security risk is to add another security risk into the equation.  shifty.gif

Once upon a time, I had some petty fun by replying to email scammers, forging my own address to be that of other email scammers, telling them that "i" (the other scammer) was interested in getting scammed. I sometimes wonder if it ever resulted in scammers trying to scam each other.

The only online store at the moment that has my billing information is Amazon. You could argue it is one too many, but nobody's perfect.

As for other online stores, I do regularly change passwords because i keep forgetting them (not using the same password everywhere has that effect) and ask for a reset password email when forgotten.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Isnt "remember by billing information" an optional check box? I know I always uncheck it when I make a purchase.

I'm guilty of doing this on websites I make a lot of orders from, but never check the box when it's a site I rarely buy items from.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! You think it's bad now, wait another decade. Things are today exactly where I predicted they'd be 10 years ago.

We have these entities in our society that are becoming increasingly sociopathic, they're called corporations. With every new generation the focus of these entities becomes less about making a good product that makes money, than just making the most money at the expense of everything else. So, what does this have to do with security?

Writing high quality, debugged and safe code is less productive than just getting your code to market as fast as possible. Now go read about how developers are treated in big firms. We're headed for a big fire sale down the road, and all because corporations have the attitude that saying you're sorry is less costly that trying to prevent mistakes. Software is one of the few types of engineering that can be delivered in a genuinely hazardous state and the company get away with this. Try doing that with a car and you'll get sued and will need to do recalls. Software gets away with it because of this b.s. idea called a clickwrap, 99% of which now require you to sign away your right to due process of law, thanks to a supreme court that sold out its people.

• Like 2

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

We also have a ton of new tools to keep track of our own security.  Sure, my credit cards are vulnerable, but I can also check my balances every second of every day if I want, and raise a red flag if I see a problem.  I can track my credit scores more clearly, I can dispute things more easily, etc.  Consumers have a lot of tools to protect themselves, and they can do so from a device they carry around in their pocket.  Your personal risks are very well mitigated.  

We also have a ton of new tools to keep track of our own security.  Sure, my credit cards are vulnerable, but I can also check my balances every second of every day if I want, and raise a red flag if I see a problem.  I can track my credit scores more clearly, I can dispute things more easily, etc.  Consumers have a lot of tools to protect themselves, and they can do so from a device they carry around in their pocket.  Your personal risks are very well mitigated.  

I understand where you're coming from, and people should do that. But, as I'm sure most of the people who've been a victim of identity theft can tell you: it's very difficult to correct once it has happened. An ounce of prevention on the corporations part is worth a pound of cure in the consumer space.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Stop posting this that kind of info here,

"Careful if you are thinking of getting Dragon Age: Inquisition"

I am sure that no one that like POE games and respect himself going to purchase that ****ty game.

Someone move this post to trash can of the forum or something.

Le gasp.

Other people like different things.

In fact, DA3 has its own thread here! Blasphemy!

The conspiracy goes further... Obsidian staff members have been spotted hanging out with BioWare!

Le gasp.

Other people like different things.

In fact, DA3 has its own thread here! Blasphemy!

The conspiracy goes further... Obsidian staff members have been spotted hanging out with BioWare!

It was originally posted in the PoE forums.

And are you really surprised about hostility towards those games? Really, that's nothing compared to the actual Dragon Age/Bio threads...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken